PDA

View Full Version : first time hangun purchase

cobain 187
April 27, 2002, 10:17 AM
Cobain here, and i was hoping to get some advice from more experienced people. Ive been debating on what type/model of semi-auto to purchase. Ive been leaning towards berrettas new 9000s series, but cant make up my mind. What is a good recomendation for one seeking stopping power, good balance and feel, and mag capacity. All coments are welcome.

ragingbull454
April 27, 2002, 10:45 AM
Hello,

Where are you from? Welcome to the site! The Beretta series is a good choice. I chose a Glock G30 .45 for my needs. Its good for conceal carry, very small size (if we ever get it in Illinois), and it can hold up to 10 rounds of potent .45 firepower. For self defense puposes, I wouldn't get anything less than a .40. I shot my friend's g19 9MM, and it just didn't seem to have enough power to me. If there ever comes a time when I have to use it for self defense, I want a gun that is going to stop the attacker, and I just didn't feel confident that the 9MM had enough power to do it.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Erick
[email protected]

3 gun
April 27, 2002, 10:50 AM
This is a very open question, but I'll give it a try. How about a full size CZ75? The gun isn't to costly, quality is excellent, 15 round magazines are available, the pistol has good ergonomics and the 9 mm is a versatile round. Practice ammo is cheap and quality protection ammo is effective.

Shoney
April 27, 2002, 10:59 AM
cobain 187:

The right pistol for any individual is subjective and personal. This isn't intended to be a smart a$$ remark, but the right pistol is the one that you can shoot best. I can shoot some make and models easily while with others, I would be better off using them as a club.

You need to shot several weapons in a variety of calibers. Beg steal and borow and shoot as many weapons as posible. If there is a shoting range, or gun club near you, there are many people who will allow you to shoot their pieces, especially if you volunteer to buy the ammo. IMHO this is a must.

CALIBER:
Next, how much pistol shooting have you done? The best stoping power weapon will do you no good if you cannot hit the mark with it. I generally recomend a 22 as a starter pistol (inexpensive and good to learn basic pistol marksmanship). Again, thats where shooting a variety of calibers comes in handy, as this will tell you what you can learn to handle (emphasis on learn).

MAKE AND MODEL:
You will get a lot of good responses here, based upon the writers preference, and what works well for them. You should pick one that has a reputation for reliability, and you have a lot of good choices. Do you want 1911, SA, DAO, or SA/DA. Again, thats why you need to shoot several makes and models first.

Best wishes, Shoney

loknload
April 27, 2002, 11:56 AM
cobain, What Shoney said hits the nail on the head;) Try many different ones before buying and buy the one that works for you!;)
As far as the Beretta 9000 do a search here and check the responses to it. I don't believe that particular handgun has a good track record. If you like Berettas take a look at the Cougar series, Just my personal thought ;) There are a lot of great handguns out there to be had, It's just the matter of finding the right one for you :)
Hope this helps and good luck with your quest :)