PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 Plastic Trigger Housing crapped out on me, where to get a metal one?

jcoyoung
June 18, 2000, 08:03 PM
You 590 guys with the Speedfeed III and IV will appreciate this one. Since the pistol grip of my Speedfeed IV interferes with easy removal of the trigger housing, I somehow manhandled the trigger housing so that the "tabs" that keep the front of the housing in the receiver got smashed and deformed. :( The thing finally gave out on me an every shot will loosen the housing so that it hangs out and causes a FTF on the next round. :(

Now I'm looking for a metal trigger housing as a replacement. I would like to get a 590A1 housing, but I checked the Brownells web site and it would seem that they only have the standard 500/590 housing (Brownells PN: 631-000-228).

I was wondering if anybody knows the Brownells PN for the A1 housing. Are there any other sources to check? Are there any aftermarket 590 metal trigger housings out there?

Thanks ahead of time.
Jason

Karnak
June 18, 2000, 10:29 PM
I use Mossberg pump actions. I've never heard of a metal trigger housing for one.

If you find one, tell me. I'd like to have one.

jcoyoung
June 18, 2000, 11:12 PM
The mil-spec Mossberg 590A1 has a metal trigger housing, as well as a metal safety button and thicker barrel.

If I had known there was an A1 version, I would have spent the extra coin on it. I should have done more research before I bought my 590 and now I'm suffering the consequences.

JNewell
June 19, 2000, 06:57 AM
Call Mossberg. I once tried to get a metal housing for a 500, and the answers were (1) yes, we do sell replacement TG assys but (2) only for -- I think -- the 590A1, not the 500 (for sure) or the 590 (not nearly as sure; didn't really care, since I had a 500 then).

My memory could be faulty, so call the factory and ask. You may want to know the serial # (and obviously the model #).

Good luck!

Icopy
June 19, 2000, 08:28 AM
I condsidered doing the same thing a few months ago. I called Mossgerg and got this information. It would cost around $100 for the trigger housing. it must be intalled by Mossberg at a cost of one hour labor. So it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 with shipping. I said screw it. I'll use my 870 Police until the I trade the Mossberg in for the new M4.

JNewell
June 19, 2000, 09:54 AM
There was a rumor here that new 870 PMs are coming with plastic trigger guards. The PMs coming through to dealers here, however, still have metal trigger guards. The info was attributed to Remington CS, but sometimes CS reps get things very mixed up. Any more recent info? (Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, I'm working on the theory that metal vs. plastic is the operative part here. <g> )

Sorry learn of the broken part, btw. I always wondered whether my 500 might do the same, although in real life I seldom had any reason to pull the trigger guard -- nothing back there gets very dirty. FWIW, I don't think an 870 could have that particular failure, since it's double-pinned, rather than slipping a tab into the receiver and holding the assembly in with a single pin.

[This message has been edited by JNewell (edited June 19, 2000).]