PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn: CZ-97B or Springfield Mil-Spec

Nightcrawler
April 24, 2002, 11:21 PM
Geez. I want a .45.

I love the 1911, and the Springfield Mil-Spec in particular because it has the spur hammer and looks more classic.

But it has a safety I can't use, being a lefty, and thusly I couldn't carry the gun locked and cocked.

The CZ-97 runs for a little less than the Mil-Spec, but is bigger and heavier. However, while it also has a safety I can't use, I could lower the hammer and carry it DA safely, so it's not really as big a deal.

Plus, I think the CZ97 is a goregous pistol.

Help!

Shmackey
April 24, 2002, 11:31 PM
I love CZ pistols. I also love 1911s, now that I think about it.

Anyway...you can get an ambi safety on any 1911 for not a lot of money. On the other hand, the CZ has a higher capacity and will (almost certainly) be more reliable out of the box.

The biggest practical differences: The CZ can be used DA but doesn't have to be. The CZ has a way fatter grip. The 1911 can be customized to your heart's content.

Tough choice. If you have small hands, it's gotta be the 1911.

Nightcrawler
April 24, 2002, 11:43 PM
Double stack .45s generally fit my hand nicely. I've handled Para P14s and HK USP45s, and found them to fit as a glove, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

George Hill
April 25, 2002, 12:15 AM
You know... you CAN put an Ambi safety on a Mil-Spec if you wanted. :cool:

croyance
April 25, 2002, 12:22 AM
Either one seems fine. If you will carry, I say the 1911 with an aftermarket safety.

After all this, you will let us know what you get, right?

Foxy
April 25, 2002, 01:15 AM
I have an AO 1911, and a friend of mine has a CZ97. I vastly prefer the feel of the 1911 in my hand, as well as the trigger. There is an advantage in the 3 rounds extra in the mag of the 97, and my AO may be a bit inferior in construction, but the trigger of the 1911 is much nicer, it fits in the hand nicely.. the CZ97 doesn't have drop-free magazines, either.

blades67
April 25, 2002, 01:30 AM
Just get both.:D

Fitting an ambi. safety only takes a few minutes. A good local 'smith could have it done in a day or so for you if you can't do it yourself.

Ala Dan
April 25, 2002, 01:37 AM
Another vote here for the Springfield; cuz I just like the
look's of those rascal's.:D :cool: :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

DMK
April 25, 2002, 11:56 AM
This guy put an ambi saftey on his CZ-97. (He used Witness parts). Drop free mags are no problem on CZs, you just pop the flat spring out. I did it on both my '70 and '75 in like 15 minutes.

http://pub69.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm36.showMessage?topicID=92.topic

http://www.canyoncountry.net/~hickman/CZ/CZ97B1.JPG

Nightcrawler
April 25, 2002, 12:15 PM
According to that thread, the addition of the ambi safety to the CZ97B was rather gunsmithing-intensive, involving drilling holes in the frame. I don't know if there are any smiths' around here that would do that.

Since the CZ is a doulbe action, though, it's not really a huge deal.

Foxy
April 25, 2002, 01:29 PM
Drop free mags are no problem on CZs, you just pop the flat spring out. I did it on both my '70 and '75 in like 15 minutes.

Or you could swap in a spring from an 85. But one method involves money, and the other involves modifying your gun.. some people (like my CZ friend) are very loathe to do either :)

If you are planning to carry the pistol, the CZ97 is rather large, as well. The 1911 is about the same size, but thinner, I think.

Eric Larsen
April 25, 2002, 02:04 PM
Actually straightening the mag brake spring is not big deal....dont leave it out. Its the rear guide for the mags and protects the main spring, so it does have other uses. It takes 5 minutes to do the alterations. Shoot well

shepsan
April 25, 2002, 06:22 PM
Nightcrawler, what are you going to use the gun for? If it is CCW, then you do not want the CZ07B. It is simply to large to conceal.

If your need is for home defense and the full enjoyment of target shooting, you can't beat the CZ97B. It is accurate and easy to shoot right out of the box. I have achieved 1-1/2" and 2" groups at 25 yards using a standing Weaver Stance with my CZ97B.

Holsters are hard to find for the CZ97B and you cannot find aftermarket exotic wood grips. You must find a holster made for some other large handgun and try to use it.

I was told that the CZ97B was finicky and would not handle JHP rounds. Not true. I have not had a single failure shooting Federal Hyrda-shoks.

The CZ97B is not easy to customize. I have yet to find night sights that I can put on to my pistol.

IMO, the CZ97B is one of the most under rated pistols on the market. It is a steal for any price under $600. I would choose it over ANY Springfield for any purpose other than CCW.

FYI, I have a modest collection of 1911 variants. They are my favorite handguns. However, the price I paid for them are far greater than the CZ97B. If I had to sell all of my guns except for two, one of those I would keep would be the CZ97B.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards,

DanP
April 25, 2002, 06:33 PM
Tough call, but I've been wanting an SA mil-spec since I first handled one.

Something about the way its weight just sits there in all the proper places does it for me.

Doesn't sound like you'd make a bad choice either way though.

Oris
April 25, 2002, 07:08 PM
I like 1911 style pistols for their special "pistol" charm. It is so
cool looking classy piece...

However, CZ-97 as a shooting machine will easily beat the hell out of any stock 1911 - more accurate, more capacity, DA/SA,
very good and stable quality overall, better value and, no doubt,
much better reliability.

Peter M. Eick
April 25, 2002, 08:32 PM
I have a 97b and a Baer Premier II, so it is an unfair comparison. Yes the 1911 has a better trigger and is more accurate, but it is also 3 times the cost.

That being said, the 97b has a better gloss finish, is extremely smooth double action and the SA is nearly as good as the baer. It requires no tools to break down, mags are readily available and it fits my hands quite well. It does not have adjustable sights, but it hits point of aim at 15 yrds.

My 97b works well with all ammo AS LONG AS it is less the 1.272 COL. JHP or FMJ 100% reliable.

I would not sell my Baer, but I certainly do not regret the 97B. Both are great guns and I have recommended them many times.

I cannot really comment on your springfield.

Now that you make me think of it maybe I will take the 97b out to the range on saturday. I deserve a break.

Nightcrawler
April 25, 2002, 09:06 PM
This pistol would be a full-size, not really a carry gun. (though in winter around here, which runs from October to May, I could carry a Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster under my coat and no one would be the wiser.) I plan on buying a compact of some sort to be my carry gun.

The CZ-97 seems to be a good gun, whereas I'm already planning a few "mods" to the Springfield, like an ambi safety. (On a single action only gun, my ability to use the thumb safety is obviously very important.)