PDA

View Full Version : A few Colt Defender questions.

Lightsped
April 20, 2002, 11:09 PM
1. Are Defenders currently being produced?

2. How do Defenders compare (accuracy, fit, finish, etc..) with the same sized Kimber and Springfeild 45s?

3. Why are Defenders listed as "Series 90"? What is Series 90?

Pilate
April 21, 2002, 11:40 AM
1. I don't think so, though there seems to be a few around.

2. I don't think there's any real difference. I always liked the look and feel of the Officer's size 1911. I tried the Defender, Springfield V10, Kimber Ultra, Kimber Eclipse. ALL OF THEM FAILED AGAIN AND AGAIN with quality factory ammo. I'll never own another 1911, and especially not a compact. My recommendation to you is, if you have to have a 1911, don't go smaller than Commander size.

3. Someone else will know the answer to this question better, but I believe it's the revision. Internal safety changes and whatnot...

Dave AA
April 21, 2002, 11:44 AM
I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II, and it runs 100%, just like my other Kimbers.

Colt, on the other hand, has some serious QC problems in my experience.

lonegunman
April 21, 2002, 12:22 PM
No, not true about Colt quality control. I have never had a problem.

People love to throw off on Colt products, though. Its a very popular pass time.

I dont like miniature 1911s. Commander sized guns are as small as I would go. If you can conceal a miniature, you can conceal a commander just as easily. The question manufacturers should ask is not "how small can we make a 1911", but instead "how small should we make a 1911". And the Commander size is the right answer.

I do agree that miniature 1911s are more likely to have problems than larger guns, but this problem is not limited to Colt.

All this is my opinion, based on nothing more than personal experience, and if you opinion is different (ie wrong), I wont hold it against you.

Cornbread2
April 21, 2002, 06:15 PM
I had a Colt defender. It was a POS.

Colt has had quality control problems for years.

The 1911 is a good design but you will have problems with them from any maker. That is just the nature of the beast.

4thHorseman
April 21, 2002, 10:15 PM
I believe, if memory serves me correctly, Series 90 means that there is a firing pin block in that series model. The firing pin can not move forward, unless the trigger is pulled all the way back. If the hammer falls the firing pin still cannot engage the round.:)
Hope this helps.

Mike11b
April 22, 2002, 11:35 AM
When I made my 1911 purchase, I looked at the Defender, Springfield Compacts, and Kimber. I rented the Defender, and put roughly 100 rounds of FMJ through it. My only issue with it was that it was difficult to get a "high" grip on it, as repeated firing was painful in the web of my shooting hand. I am racking my brain to remember if it had an upswept beavertail on it.....can't recall. Nonetheless, I ended up with a full size Kimber. Many will say that there is no difference between a full sized and compact.....muzzle velocity is somewhat irrelevant at documented "contact ranges".....barrel length between the two is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches.....1 round reduction in capacity.....shortened grip length. Bottom line.....yes the defender is still in production . As to your choice.....do some comparision shopping, and truly develop what your personal needs are.