PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 on IMBEL receiver: Go/no go?

Marko Kloos
April 17, 2002, 01:01 PM
Local shop has a standard-length FAL clone, CAI-marked, on an IMBEL receiver, three magazines, priced at $700 and change. Clerk says he can probably do six and a half on it, and I've been looking for a decent battle rifle in 7.62x51 for a while.

Anyone have any experience with those? Would it be a worthwhile addition, or am I going to spend another $300 in 'smith fees just to get it working?

Correia
April 17, 2002, 01:29 PM
lendringser,

I have a CAI FAL. I am one of the lucky ones that got a good one, and even then I spent a bunch more money getting it how I wanted it.

I don't really know about firearms prices in Tenn. But that seems kind of high to me. If you look in the shotgun news you can find CAI FALs for about $200-$300 less. And the Imbel is a much nicer receiver than the CAI, but there are still Imbel receivered Century guns out there for less than that. Also the mags are only worth $5-$10 each. So don't let the number of mags coming with the gun influence your decision.

If you are worried about spending the smith fees anyway (always a possibility with a Century gun) you may want to buy the parts yourself and have somebody build it for you, to your specs.

Imbel Receiver: $220
G1 Parts kit: $100-$200
US parts to keep the BATF happy: $100-$300

So even on the high end the parts gun would cost about the same. If I were you I would hit the shotgun news and check out some FAL prices before you make a decision. I got mine for $500 about 2 years ago, and they have come down since.

Steve Smith
April 17, 2002, 01:47 PM
That's a $500 rifle. If you're willing to spend close to $700, get the DSA.

gryphon
April 17, 2002, 03:59 PM
Agree with Steve Smith. The most you should pay for that is $500, anything more than that and you'd be better off with a DSA.

Steve has an echo! :D

1911A1 fan
April 18, 2002, 01:41 AM
My wife got me one as a gift ( gotta love a woman like that:) ) and from what I understand I got lucky, runs like a top and it's a real tack driver compared to some of the FALs I've shot. IMHO $500 would be about the max. for $700 get a DSA.

-Yo-
April 18, 2002, 02:07 AM
No, no, no... get a DSA Austrian. Mine shoots straighter than my M1A, even with the primitive sights.

Good smithing is important for FAL accuracy and reliability. A friend of mine but a cheap FAL and it's junk compared to mine which is 100% matching Austrian StG on a DSA receiver.

yo

Coronach
April 18, 2002, 08:46 AM
Ditto: if he is asking 7-ish for it, pony up 8-ish and get the DSA.

Mike

Badger Arms
April 18, 2002, 11:44 AM
DSA Also gets my vote. If you have to change anything on any FAL, get free-float handguards or something that insulates better than metal handgaurds. My god they get hot.