PDA

View Full Version : What powder do you use for reloading?

Andrewh
April 17, 2002, 09:54 AM
Since the other thread wasn't about this, I will ask.
When doing cowboy loads, what brand of powder do you reload with.
I looked over accurate's manual, and I will have to put in cardboard or something to pack the powder to the back with, from what I remember, will be almost half the case empty for 45lc, loading with improved number2.

Any other choices so I get a fuller case?

Malpaso
April 17, 2002, 01:05 PM
Hodgdon Powder (http://www.hodgdon.com) web site has a great deal of information on loading both smokeless and black powder for Cowboy Action Shooting. They are a great sponsor of CAS, both financially and informationally. For that reason, I use their products. I use all variations of Pyrodex, and either Universal or Clays.

Andrewh
April 17, 2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks. I hadn't really thought of them. I was really focused on pyrodex numbers at the time I looked at their site last, and it didn't even dawn on me to check them for cowboy loads.

Nanaimo Barr
April 17, 2002, 03:27 PM
most manuals in recent years have recognized the growth of CAS and have included sections for reloading CAS loads in various callibers, some arn't as complete as they could be, but it's moving in that direction.

Andrewh
April 17, 2002, 06:01 PM
I did find reloading info on cowboy loads, it is just they all had a disclaimer saying you had to put wadding in the case so all the powder would stay back towards the primer. I was hoping someone made a lower weight/high volume powder for this so you didn't have to do that. Hodgdon seems to make that in there titegroup powder. So now I know where to look.

Nodakmarine
April 17, 2002, 10:15 PM
Well, if I am going to shoot those style of revolvers and rifles, I stick with full charges of either FFF or Pyrodex P in handgun cartriges and FF or Pyrodex RS Select in rifle loads. Never had much use for the pop-gun loads and prefer to keep things similar to the original loads of the day.

El Loco Lobo
April 18, 2002, 04:22 AM
In the 45LC I use Unique powder. 6.5 grains behind a 235 semi wad cutter and 7 grains for 250 round nose flat point (pistol, rifle respectively) no it doesnt fill the case but the pistol shoots 1.5 inch at 25 yards and the rifle has shoot a 6 inch at 200 yards.

Andrewh
April 18, 2002, 09:45 AM
El Loco Lobo- I wasn't sure if it was an accuarcy problem they were warning about. My memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but didn't there used to be a problem with revolvers blowing up when a partial filled case was used, or is this just a myth. I have seen pictures of revolvers with the top strap bent backwards, but this could be because of a heavy load instead of a partially filled case.

jjmorgan64
April 18, 2002, 11:26 AM
I have heard in the past that you can blow up a gun with a really fast powder, and a large open space in the case, (it can build up too much pressure before the bullet starts to move and create a pipe bomb effect,

Don't really believe it, extremely common to load 38's with small loads of bullseye, no problems. I have taken unique down to some awfully low levels in 45 colts and ever had any problems.

Unique is a good cowboy powder, i use it in my 45 colts, tite-group is supposed to be position insensitive for large cases, I use it in my 38's and it shoots well.

Andrewh
April 18, 2002, 05:45 PM
jjmorgan64- Thanks. Good to know you haven't had any problems with mostly empty cases. Makes me feel better about reloading them.

Nanaimo Barr
April 19, 2002, 12:15 AM
where did it say you have to put a card board disk in??? I've been running 5.5 gr of unique behind .158 gr cast and lead into .357 cases for 2 years now. lots of room left in those case...

if I'm doing something wrong here I want to know now...

Andrewh
April 19, 2002, 11:48 AM
There is a warning or disclaimer in the begining of Accurate's loading book that says for cowboy loads to put in wadding so you pack the powder to the back of the case. I don't have it here, but will post it when I find it at home. It may even be online in their manual.

El Loco Lobo
April 23, 2002, 02:37 PM
the .45 loads I've used have shown no signs of pressure in weather conditions from -40 to 110 above(Montana wintes are cold and summers are hot) I don't have exact scientific tools, but I still have all my fingers after many 1000's round loaded this way. Lyman manuals from early 50' even the most recent ones I've read don't say anyhting about wadding.

Nanaimo Barr
April 24, 2002, 01:19 AM
I just re read the CAS reloading section in the Speer 13th manual, it talks about low presures, it talks about the position of the powder in the case, haven't found anything about a wad. we shoot with one of the gents mentioned in the section (an engineer at CCI), next time we see him I will try to remember to ask him about this and see what he has to say....

Andrewh
April 26, 2002, 08:26 PM
Guess I got confused. I did find it again, but it is a black powder warning.
In straight walled cases filler wads may be used to reduce the powder charge. This is done by inserting card or Polyethylene wads between the base of the bullet and the powder. Wads should be
sized to the internal diameter of the cartridge case. The loader must be careful to insure that there are no void spaces in the assembled cartridge. NEVER use any other type of filler material. Be careful as loads are reduced. At some point, the bullet will fail to exit the bore.
But there is a warning on another web site
http://www.reloadammo.com/liteload.htm