PDA

View Full Version : Converting 2 3/4 to accept 3"

9mmMike
April 16, 2002, 09:41 PM
Howdy SG experts,
I seem to recall that someone (Vang? Wilson? Other?) used to offer a service to convert your old 2 3/4 only SG to "magnum" specs so that you could shoot 3"ers if you wished.
I can not find any information on what this work would entail. Does anyone know what needs to be modified to make this work? Does anyone still offer this service?
Thanks,
Mike

ajacobs
April 16, 2002, 10:17 PM
While I don't know of any particular gunsmith who does this I know it is included in the remington steel rebuild program from scattergun tech (wilson)

jthuang
April 16, 2002, 10:45 PM
ajacobs has it right -- it is part of Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technology's "Remington Steal" rebuild program. Check SGT's website.

HTH,

Justin

DML
April 17, 2002, 01:42 AM
Assuming that we are talking about 870s, 2 things are required. First, you will need a new barrel that is chambered for 3" shells. I know that some "gunsmiths" will rechamber an old barrel, but if you value your fingers I wouldn't do it. 2nd, the ejector will have to be replaced with a 3" one. If Wilson will do this as part of their package it's a good deal, but I doubt that they would include a new barrel at that price.

9mmMike
April 17, 2002, 08:53 AM
"ejector will have to be replaced with a 3" one"

That's it? Wilson charges 45.00 for this service and they say that refinishing is required. I figured there must be some tricky machining or something.
We're talking ejector, not extracter (on the bolt) right?
All my barrels are 2 3/4 or 3" already. I thought for sure that something needed to be done to the actual reciever. This is good news.

Mike

PS. Of course it's an 870! ;)

Huntersix
April 17, 2002, 02:53 PM
They have to enlarge the ejection port so the 3" will clear after being fired.

9mmMike
April 17, 2002, 08:34 PM
Now that's the kind of work that I can't/won't do myself. Bummer.

Dave McC
April 17, 2002, 08:45 PM
Frankenstein got promoted to 3" when I started assembling it. The smith who oversaw the build did it as a favor. I don't think he enlarged the port.

Works fine, tho YMMV.

One small point, I think it's more trouble than it's worth. Just get a M Serial Number 870 to start off with, or content yourself with the nigh infinite variety of 2 3/4" loads.

HTH...