PDA

View Full Version : My P-32 broke, again

marca
April 6, 2002, 12:39 PM
I sent my P-32 in for a hard chrome upgrade, and to have some problems resolved with the gun jamming and not fully extracting spent shells. Since getting the gun back I've put about 100 rounds through it with no problem. Yesterday, after shooting a total of 5 shots, the trigger or the connector between the hammer and trigger seems to have broken. I removed the slide, ammo, etc. and found that when I pull the trigger I can see the hammer flopping around but it seems to no longer be able to strike the firing pin. Looks like the innards simply fell apart. This does not seem to be the same problem that I've seen described on Ktog as "empty trigger".

Anyone else have this problem?

>Begin Rant
I love the P-32 when it works. Kel-Tec is pretty good about fixing problems, but it gets expensive when you have to keep paying to ship it back to the factory to get the bugs out.
>End Rant

Dave R
April 6, 2002, 07:06 PM
Have not seen that happen before. Truly sucks.

I guess you have 3 options:

1. Send it back to Kel-Tec (again). I'd ask them to cover the shipping this time.

2. Get the part(s) from Kel-Tec and fix it yourself.

3. Geta 'smith to fix it.

Call them anyway, and tell them what happened. I'd be curious to hear what their response is.

Mannlicher
April 6, 2002, 08:07 PM
4th option, sell it, and buy a CZ.

alamo
April 7, 2002, 05:05 AM
Their number is 800-515-9983, ask for Carolyn.

If it has to go back again, see if the store/dealer you bought it from will send it to them for you by regular mail, an FFL can do that but you can't. Much cheaper.

Kentucky Rifle
April 7, 2002, 08:49 AM
However, this is the reason I don't shoot my P-32 a whole lot. I clean and lube it often and carry it in a Desantis ankle holster. I feel that my P-32 is reliable, but not as durable as some of my other pocket pistols. Now, don't anybody flip out! I LIKE my P-32. I looked FOREVER to find one when they first came out. It may be far more reliable now. I sent it in for a color change on the grip frame and Carolyn changed out ALL the guts of the little pistol. I carry it with a round in the chamber and one less than "max" in the magazine.

KR

bad_dad_brad
April 7, 2002, 05:07 PM
Gotta ditto Kentucky Rifle. The P32 is reliable not durable. I have only shot mine enough to be familiar with it. Something that small and light is bound to be a bit delicate. I treat all my baby guns (Jetfire) the same.

swatman
April 7, 2002, 09:33 PM
What is the approximate life expectancy of a P-32? I have been thinking about getting one for a long time. :confused:

marca
April 7, 2002, 10:31 PM
.What is the approximate life expectancy of a P-32? I have been thinking about getting one for a long time...

Mine lasted about 300 rounds. 100 rounds were after the last repair. However, I've read posts by TFLers claiming to have shot thousands of rounds, and I believe them.

Ledbetter
April 8, 2002, 01:25 PM
I have shot mine at least 500 rounds since KelTec replaced the barrel. I shoot about fifty rounds every range session. There is no appreciable wear and all parts are still tight. The gun functions pretty near 100%. I just passed my CCW requalification with it with no stoppages in fifty rounds. I clean and lube it carefully and thoroughly. I keep a thin layer of grease on the slide rails and other contact points, including the area where the barrel touches the slide or the "bushing." I don't just spray gun scrubber or brake cleaner through it.

I think the life expectancy is directly related to the care you take of the gun. I know of a guy who complained that his P32 broke after being carried around in his back pocket all day.

Here's a tip, then: This gun is not for sitting on.

Regards.

Oleg Volk
April 8, 2002, 01:31 PM
runt and I have P32s. The first one was good up to 1,500 rounds. Both had problems eventually and we now have two new P32s sent as replacements. I've observed some changes to the design in them. Will test them this coming weekend and find out how reliable/durable they are.

Blackhawk
April 8, 2002, 01:54 PM
Sounds like your hammer spring might be broken or the anchor pin missing. I've seen an earlier report of the spring breaking. Look at the butt of your P-32. There's a pin in the plastic catch that anchors the spring. It's held in tight by the spring, so if it's loose or missing, the spring might be broken. KT can diagnose the problem with a phone call.

It's a simple 5 minute job to replace the spring/pin that you can do yourself or a smith should do it for free or a very small charge. Maybe your gun shop will do it for you.

Related: As I read the postal regulations, you can send the pistol to KT via mail as long as the package doesn't indicate the contents, so that's an economical way to return it for repairs.

Catbird
April 8, 2002, 02:09 PM
From my experiences, Kel-Tec has very good customer service.

Have you asked them to reimburse you for shipping costs?
I would.

If you think you might have a lemon, have you asked them to replace the gun?
I would.

alamo
April 8, 2002, 02:42 PM
Blackhawk,

You can't send it regular mail (USPS) unless you're an FFL. Always a good idea to ask dealer/shop where you bought it to send it for you as they can ship regular mail Even if you reimburse them, it's a big savings vs. having to ship it overnight.

swatman
April 8, 2002, 05:30 PM
Hmmm. The thing that scares me is when I hear: " Well, it functions fine now that this was replaced, or that was replaced, or after the 2nd trip to the factory"
For me, a gun I am gonna carry is something that has gotta be two things: Reliable and durable.
I want one of these alot but just trying to get a idea of just hopw reliable they are. :(

Blackhawk
April 8, 2002, 06:16 PM
You can't send it regular mail (USPS) unless you're an FFL. This is from the USPS site: "Mailer must be licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer." I guess you'd have to get your dealer to mail it.

Blackhawk
April 8, 2002, 06:28 PM
For me, a gun I am gonna carry is something that has gotta be two things: Reliable and durable. I want one of these alot but just trying to get a idea of just hopw reliable they are. Agreed, but I'm never going to carry anything I just took out of its box. It's going to have to prove itself to be reliable and durable.

Since there's not much difference in price between a new one and a used one, it's no big deal to buy one and see if it qualifies. If not, have KT fix it, and then sell it to make way for the next carry candidate.

One thing I've learned about Kel-Tecs is that expressed opinions about them cluster at the extremes. Most everybody either loves them or hates them with very few in the rational middle. So, my guess is that you're either going to love or hate a Kel-Tec, and it doesn't cost much to find out which it's going to be....

spleenandideal
April 8, 2002, 10:05 PM
This scares me. I've put another 100 rounds through my P32 last weekend....at 100 rounds a month for 15 months....hmmm, 1500 rounds? Can it be?

Am I nearing the geriatric twilight of my beloved pocket gun? Still seems fine, but after this post I'm thinking of switching back to my HEAVY naa guardian.

Ledbetter
April 9, 2002, 10:59 AM
To practice shooting a tiny gun, and for giggles and grins, I bought a Beretta Model 21A in .22 caliber. You can get them used for under $200 and practice ammo costs a tenth as much as .32 ACP. It goes with me to the range a lot more than my P32, which goes every three months or so to shoot its carry ammo, get cleaned, lubed and fresh ammo.

Regards.

Blackhawk
April 9, 2002, 11:49 AM
No problem! When it breaks, just send it back to KT to be regenerated. Good for another round of life! :D

Seriously, all guns are wasting assets like cars or lightbulbs. They have a fixed but indeterminate maximum life. The more you use them, the closer you get to their inevitible failure. Since all guns use springs, commercial precision springs are pretty much equal, and it's nearly impossible to predict the life of a spring, all guns are pretty much equal when it comes to "premature" failures due to springs. It's sort of like life -- no matter how smart, attractive, and gifted an exceptional person is, death will overtake him in about the same time frame as it will any ugly dullard. Aging is the great equalizer among us as springs are among guns.

22lovr
April 9, 2002, 12:03 PM
I've owned both of their main products and currently carry a P32 most of the time. I have put 800 rounds through mine and I have carried it almost full-time for two years without incident.

I think George Kelgren's designs are brilliantly conceived but lose something somewhere in the manufacturing process. Let's just say I wish they would upgrade their quality control and raw materials with which they make their handguns.

I'd like to buy another "new and improved" P11 but remember the endless light strikes because of the lightweight hammer/transfer bar system, the trigger which pinched the S**T out of my finger each pull, the seemingly mile-long pull (anytime baby, anytime) the indiscriminate way the gun ejected hot brass all over everywhere, stovepipes, failures-to-eject, failures-to-feed, a clip so stiff that it would lacerate your fingers trying to stoke it with 9mm, etc, etc.

I love my P32 but am sorta holding my breath waiting for the first mechanical failure.....not a matter of "if" but "when?"

know what I mean?

swatman
April 13, 2002, 12:33 AM
I agree Blackhawk. I did by the way own a P-11 and I put about 1400-1500 rounds through it and only ever had ONE failuer and that was ammo related. I was pleased with reliability of the P-11 although accuracy had much to be desired compared to a Glock 26 which I eventually traded it in for.
As for the P-32 it would be for carry when the weather and style of dress only allow such a pistol and I feel it would fit the bill nicely provided it was reliable like my P-11. But as of yet I have never even shot one so i am trying to get a feel for them based on other people's experiences :)

Snowdog
April 13, 2002, 07:55 AM
I had a similar problem a year ago. It turned out to be a busted mainspring. It would leave a slight mark on the primer of the chambered round, but not deliver anywhere near the punch needed for detonation.

I sent it back no questions asked and the turn around time was a little over a week. I also got another blue carry case with it for free. It's seen a couple hundred rounds since (most 60gr Cor-bons) and hasn't had any further issues.