PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I tried out a H&K USP .40..

Nesued
April 6, 2002, 09:51 AM
In a previous posting of mine I talked about my attempts at deciding upon what .40cal I was finally going to purchase.

I had limited my choices down to the S&W SW99, Walther P99, Beretta 8000 cougar, Beretta 96 (if I wanted to go full-size).

I tried out an H&K USP .40.....

Well, don't that just throw a wrench into the works....

Exceedingly nice feel to this weapon, I enjoyed firing it greatly (all 100 rounds). I thought I wouldn't want the "heft" to a full size weapon, but now I'm really beginning to see the positives.

I noticed a difference in the recoil using this weapon. I personally felt alot more "in control" after firing. I also liked the combo Safety and Decocking lever.

Just some observations, other comments would be wonderful.

Thanks.

priv8ter
April 6, 2002, 11:32 AM
After reading your first post I was going to say something about an H&K, but, I didn't want to drag your post off the track. Now that you have tried one though, I think it is a much better choice than your other guns. Yes, it is a full size gun, but it's fairly light for it's size. Mine eats all kinds of ammo with out a problem. Cleaning is easy. Not having a whole lot of shooting friends, the only other full size gun I've gotten to play with is a Beretta 92, and I can't tell you how much I hated it compard to my H&K. You won't be sorry if you get the H&K.

gbelleh
April 6, 2002, 09:11 PM
What about a USP .40 Compact?

Nesued
April 6, 2002, 09:21 PM
Good point, haven't tried one of those. The gun shop I use doesn't have one of those to try.

My thoughts are however that the recoil will be different due to the shorter length of the slide and barrel. The mechanical recoil reduction system found on the large frame USPs has been replaced by a flat compression spring contained in the captive recoil spring assembly.

- Nesued

Mike in VA
April 7, 2002, 10:08 AM
I have a USP45C. It's the softest shooting .45 I own. It has all the H&K virtues - tough (+P rated), very accurate, reliable (eats any/everything), good ergos, fairly light, easy to maintain. I figure teh .40 is all the above plus two more rounds, check it out, you won't be dissappointed.

Kermit
April 7, 2002, 10:45 AM
HK! :D HK! :D HK! :D Get the HK!

Shake
April 7, 2002, 07:57 PM
There are not a lot of handguns out there in .40 S&W that I would own (other than the H&K).

For me, its the best .40 on the market.

Shake

mept
April 7, 2002, 09:58 PM
If you are looking for control, the lowest recoil in a .40 S+W, and a quick follow-up sight picture, then get a Steyr M40. I have shot the P99, USPc, Cougar 40 and 45 vs.. My Steyr M40 is better in the above qualities IMO then the others. My opinion is only based on shooting between 50 and 150 rounds in each of the other handguns. A fair trial shot side by side on different occasions, but by no means extensive test.