PDA

View Full Version : which semi to buy for house protection

joseph2031
April 2, 2002, 10:07 PM
I would like some info on which semi to buy for self defense in my house. I own some very old 1911's but do not trust them to protect my famly. I would like to stay with something in the 45 cal and i have 400 to 500 to spend.
I just bought a Tanfoglio witness 45 blue steel compact to keep on me and in the car.

thanks for the help
joe

dsk
April 2, 2002, 10:25 PM
A 1911 in excellent mechanical condition, even an old one will protect your home as well as any modern firearm. Our GI's had to go through even worse hell than what you might encounter inside your home, and the old .45's served them just fine. If I had to, I'd use my 1918-vintage 1911 without hesitation.

Aside from that, it's a matter of what you like and shoot best. Your ability to manipulate the weapon, even after having been startled awake is of greater importance that what exact model and type of firearm you're using. If you're used to 1911s, go with that. Otherwise, choose something that you can shoot well and work the controls without being slowed down figuring out how it operates. A lot of folks would say choose a Glock. As long as it's kept chamber empty it'll be fine. Otherwise, most other worthy candidates are going to run above $500.

BTW if you have kids put a LOT of thought into safe storage!

Shmackey
April 2, 2002, 11:25 PM
Obviously, you want something extremely reliable, accurate, and "safe."

In that price range, I'd say the CZ 97B is a big winner.

flinch_of_gt
April 2, 2002, 11:30 PM
A Glock is perfectly safe with one up the pipe. Practice good handling and it's no more dangerous than a cocked and locked 1911.

1911's are fine, as long as you practice and understand the manual of arms. Forgetting to wipe off the safety before getting into a gunfight is a bad thing. Some 1911's are fussy with some brands of JHPs, so test out a prospective defensive load before using it for personal protection.

In your price range, a used Glock 30 would be a possibility, perhaps a used Sig 220. NIB, you can go with the aforementioned CZ97B or any of the Ruger P-series pistols in 45ACP.

Hemicuda
April 3, 2002, 09:44 AM
For home protection, a Shotgun is always best... so, for a Semi, I'd reccommend a Remington 1187 or 1100....

ojibweindian
April 3, 2002, 10:16 AM
Joe

As dsk said previously, as long as those old 1911's are in good working order, you're fine.

If you cannot, or do not, want to use them I would suggest, based on my very positive experiences with the Ruger P95, a Ruger P97.

Kentucky Rifle
April 3, 2002, 10:20 AM
..is what's beside my bed. It's (for me) very accurate. I assume that the .45ACP models are also. If you're set on a .45ACP, you probably can't go wrong with a G30 equipped the same way. Providing, of course, no kids are likely to pick the pistol up. Gotta consider that. I've been extra paranoid about kids since I went to the doctor a couple of days ago. A little girl about as tall as my knees just walked out onto a busy street, without looking and with no concern for cars. I would have NEVER seen her over the hood of my truck! Luckily, everyone just stopped. I drove the short distance to my docs office at less than 20 MPH. Scared the **** out of me!
I don't like to drive anyway and this did NOT help.

KR

Huntersix
April 3, 2002, 10:23 AM
There is nothing wrong with using either your 1911A1's or that new Witness of yours for homedefense. Here in the land of "may" issue ccw, I can't get a carry permit, need an employment need to have one, I have a EAA/Tangfolio Witness 10mm that I use for home defense along with 2 large dogs.

Kermit
April 3, 2002, 10:58 AM
I've had a shotgun for home defense for a while. Simple, reliable, effective and my son can use it quite effectively if he needs to.

Ala Dan
April 3, 2002, 11:24 AM
but extremely reliable is the Sig-Sauer P220. With
it's double action first shot, and decocking device its also
extremely safe. It would be my 1st choice for a HD hand-
gun if all my household member's were familiar with self
loaders.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

foghornl
April 3, 2002, 11:32 AM
Not familiar with the Tangfolio (never seen one), but if you are looking for a new sub-$500 45ACP, I like (and own) the Ruger KP90. Alloy frame, matte finish SS uppers, decent white-dot sights (3-dot), and was $420 in my local gunshop.
As for ammo, everything I have tried feeds in my gun, and goes BANG! when I mash the trigger. Comes with 2 8-rd mags. The only "extra" I have added is a set of Hogue grips...about $15

See pic below

Indy
April 3, 2002, 11:42 AM
I like 1911's. Glocks are OK also. I'll take either so long as it's a .45:D . I used to think that shotguns were the way to go but lately I've second guessed that. Yes, great pattern and you will most likely hit the target BUT, I find them difficult to negotiate corners and rather awkward. I have a strong preference fro teh handgun now. I feel that you have to be a little more awake to use the handgun than the shotgun thus forcing you to be a little more crtical of your target (aware and identify.)

Of course many would argue my opinion isn't even worth $.02 :D LOL

Redlg155
April 3, 2002, 11:54 AM
I just bought a Tanfoglio witness 45 blue steel compact to keep on me and in the car.

OK..so why not use the same pistol? You trust your life to it outside of the home, why not at home?

If you really want another weapon, go with a shotgun. Nothing says "Get the hell out of here" better than a pump shotgun. Well, unless you have one of my new bedside toys...A 9mm Pre Ban AR15. :D

Good Shooting
RED

JimmyDee
April 3, 2002, 12:35 PM
I'm curious: why do you "...not trust [some very old 1911s] to protect [your] family?"

I guess I'd spend the money ensuring one of those was entirely reliable. Let's face it: whether new or used and despite the model's reputation, a gun that's new to you has to be tested before you trust it. The purchase price can be just the beginning. You've already got these guns on hand, so...

USGuns
April 3, 2002, 12:36 PM
How about an affordable 9mm carbine like the KelTec Sub2000 ?
http://www.kel-tec.com/prod03.htm

Under pressure, it might be easier to aim than a handgun.

vesuvius
April 3, 2002, 12:55 PM
The best firearm for home 'use' is a shotgun. Keep it simple.

Rickmeister
April 3, 2002, 01:05 PM
Do you want the typical, uncompromising "Whatever works best for you" answer that often crops up on this board?

I didn't think so.

Get the CZ-97B :cool:

steelerfan
April 3, 2002, 09:01 PM
Glock 21

Bulldog44
April 3, 2002, 09:15 PM
In a home defense scenario, I would use whatever I could get my hands on first. However, if given a couple of extra seconds, I'm going to reach for the 12 gauge.

blades67
April 3, 2002, 09:21 PM
Get a new Charles Daly then.

Mannlicher
April 3, 2002, 10:03 PM
I like my short barreled Remington 1100 semi auto with 00 buck . whoops, did you mean handgun? lol

joseph2031
April 3, 2002, 10:32 PM
thanks for the replies, my 1911 is very reliable with full metal ammo but I need to try some different types of JHP the winchester 230Gr JHP do not work well in my gun. I'm going to check out some ruger p and see if I can find one that feels like my 1911.

joe

dsk
April 3, 2002, 10:38 PM
Try some of the following loads:

Remington 185gr. JHP
Winchester 185gr. Silvertip JHP
Federal Personal Defense or Hydra-Shok

As long as a JHP bullet has a rounded, hardball-shaped ogive it should feed in your old 1911. You are wise to check though. I'd use 230gr. FMJ if I had to, but I prefer not as I'm not one of those "they all fall to hardball" believers.

BTW if you're using old GI-spec mags they may also cause problems. They were originally designed to feed ball ammo, not JHP. Try out a Wilson or Metalform magazine instead.

val7
April 4, 2002, 12:34 AM
I'm Suggesting a 12 guage pump as others did, which is your best bet by a landslide. As far as .45's go with a reasonable cost I can think of plenty. My first choice is a nice used Sig P 220,they don't come any better. S&W 4516's can also be had very reasonable. The Sig imported Mauser M-2 .45 is a real nice gun in the brand new category as well as the Charles Daly by Bull of Israel. Nothing wrong with the affordable Ruger and the CZ's are always excellent choices. All in all I'd go with the Remington 870 Police magnum for $279. I'm a dealer and I'd be happy to help you with all of your needs.

Tol
April 4, 2002, 12:51 AM
Just to offer a radically different answer from what you wanted:

Smith & Wesson 686

This is chambered in .357 Magnum and will certainly do the trick as a defensive weapon, while requiring less attention than a Glock, Sig, etc. You can load it up, and it'll fire reliably 5 years later.

The auto, while a phenomenal weapon, will require that you rotate magazines on a regular basis. While spring steel has improved, it will not take well to being compressed for years on end. An auto will also require more practice to be comfortable monkeying with safety, slide release, decocking lever etc.

A revolver lacks the capacity of an auto, but has simplicity and lack of hassle on its side.

Just a thought, now the answer you were looking for:

I think you should go shoot everything you are considering and buy what fits your hand and you shoot well. I have a Glock 23 that I shoot very well. You might not be able to hit the broad side of a barn with it, yet could spank me with something else. Ultimately, you'll be happy with any of the better pistols out there. Glock, Sig Sauer, Heckler & Koch are all great, can't-go-wrong guns.

Good luck, make sure it's something you enjoy shooting so you'll shoot more and get better at it.

chaim
April 4, 2002, 01:43 AM
I would second the idea that a good revolver should be considered and also repeat the idea of a shotgun.

For the hours you are awake use what you carry outside of the home.

For a bedside gun use a revolver. At 3 or 4am if you are awakened by someone breaking into the house you will be very thankful for the simplicity of a revolver. In addition to a .357 or a .38 (probably the best for this purpose) there are several good .45acp revolvers out there so you wouldn't even have to buy a stock of a new caliber of ammo.

If you have a few moments to get to it a shotgun would be great. If it is 3 or 4am, dark and you are very tired you won't aim as well as at the range and a long gun can help make up for that. With a bird shot load your shotgun will put down the badguy with little to no worries about overpenatration. Also, I can't think of a more intimidating sound than that of a pump shotgun being racked, that alone may send the BG running.

If you have your mind set on a new .45 auto the CZ 97 and Ruger P90 already mentioned would be good choices as would the Charles Daly (inexpensive, reliable, and accurate). Out of those, for home defense, the CZ would be best, followed by the Ruger then the CD (that said the only .45 I own at the moment is a Charles Daly 1911).

foghornl
April 4, 2002, 12:17 PM
Check with your local shooting range(s). Some have "rental hardware" so that you can try before you buy.

joseph2031
April 6, 2002, 03:18 PM
I was having trouble with my 1911 jaming with 230 gr jhp and was told to try some 185 gr jhp. I tried the win. silvertip 185 gr. and it feeds good in my 1911.

thanks for the help

joe

ruger89
April 6, 2002, 10:17 PM
For home defense I would go with a .410 mossberg cruiser 500. about 300 bucks

Erik
April 6, 2002, 10:27 PM
Joseph,
Someone with an "extremely reliable" 1911 needn't worry about purchasing a new pistol for anything, home defense or otherwise.

However, if you must spend you're money on a new firearm, I recommend the purchase of a shotgun to augment your home defense capability.

Erik

zentao
April 6, 2002, 10:58 PM
Completely agree with Ala Dan - Sig 220A - reliable, accurate, safe to handle. 8 rds mags available on line.

Zentao

jsosko
April 11, 2002, 08:14 AM
I THINK A VARIETY OF ALL OF THE ABOVE! KEEP THE SHOTGUN CLOSE BY AND HAVE THE WIFE MAN THE CZ. IF IT REALLY HEATS UP TOSS THE BOY THE .38. I KEEP 3 HANDGUNS AND A SHOTGUN READY FOR THE JUST IN CASE. ALTHOUGH I WOULD GO FOR THE REVOLVER OR THE SHOTGUN FIRST TO SAVE TIME AND FUMBLING AROUND WITH SAFETYS.