PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Super 90 Experience and Questions

Anthony
January 5, 2000, 02:27 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm definitely in love! My preban (pistol grip with extended magazine) Benelli Super 90 is one of the highest quality firearms I've ever examined. Mine was dry as a bone from the gunshop. So I put 100 rounds of dirty firing birdshot through it to see if I could make it jam. 100 perfectly ejected shells later I was amazed. My custom 1100 had choked on about 50 of them.

When I broke the Super 90 down for cleaning I found that it had collect very little crud in the weapon. Where it went I'm not sure.

Have other Benelli owners had the same great experience as me?

Any quirks of the design?

How many of you opted to keep the standard rifle sights as opposed to the ghost ring? I really love the rifle sights with the large notch. They're very quick to pick up on.

Mine is equipped with the standard cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights. Does anyone know the size of wrench used to adjust the rear sight?

Benelli doesn't carry the part anymore and I'd like to adjust the sights.

What loads have you found to pattern best in your individual Benellies?

Thanks.

- Anthony

Sea Bass
January 5, 2000, 11:39 AM
Hi Anthony...I also own a Benelli M-1 tactical. I opted for the standard stock. I found that the majority of the cleaning is the barrel area. Little if any is needed in the actual receiver and bolt. I have the ghost ring sights on it that adjust w/common
tools. You made a good choice in picking up the Benelli. Very quick reliable shotgun.

CMOS
January 5, 2000, 03:56 PM
I have an M1 Superduper 90 too. I just love that shotgun. I am still amazed at how fast I can cycle all 8 rounds.

I perasonally do NOT like the pistol grip. I find it much faster to bring up the ready position and fire without it. I have Tactical version with the screw-in chokes and rifle sights. I did add a Pachmyre Decellerator pad and about 1/2" extra length to he stock to accommodate my long arms. Without the added length, I had to crane my neck down to use the rifle sights. Now, I just pull it up and bingo, the sights line right up. There are many shooters that shoot shotguns with an improper length stock for their body size. I can tell you from experience that it makes a big difference havinf the stock "sized" for YOU.

After about 500 rounds through mine, I have NOT had any FTF's. Even the Federal Reduced Recoil Tactical 00 Buck was eaten with no problems at all.

FYI, the fastest opening pattern shells I have ever encountered are S&B. I bought a couple of cases of #4 Buck and "00" buck from Cabela's. The pattern on these is literally twice as wide as an Americam made shell, which can be good or bad considering your application.

Good shooting.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

k in AR
January 6, 2000, 11:12 AM
I also really like my M1 Super 90, very very reliable.

I have even used it for skeet shooting and contrary to what many say I really can't tell much difference between it's kick with skeet loads & the kick of my wifes 11-87 using the same loads.

Like they say: it is "simply ingenious".

jfrancis
January 6, 2000, 08:29 PM
I agree. I love my Benelli M1 with ghost rings. Personally, I don't care for a pistol grip on a shotgun. Mine has a Patternmaster choke tube, a sidesaddle and the SureFire tac light. It's an awesome gun. Having said that, they can be finicky about ammo and be sure to check your gun's cycling if you modify it in any way (forend light, sidesaddle etc.). I discovered that in the first shotgun stage of a tactical 3-gun match...

I know a couple of people who had terrible trouble with their M1s. It seems that if you get a good one (and it sounds like we all did) it's one of the best shotguns out there. If not..... The rear sight fell off on mine last weekend - apparently that's quite common.

John Francis

Rob Pincus
January 7, 2000, 11:54 PM
I love my M-1 as well. I use it (abuse...) for hunting, tactical training, skeet, sporting clays and even TRAP! The ATA guys really get flustered when I show up at some charity event with my pistol grip, extended tube, side saddled black beast!

I have the 21" barrel with screw-in chokes. I shoot everything from target loads to 3" slug rounds through it.. I've even cleaned it once or twice in the last couple years.

God Bless the Benelli

Ned Roundtree
January 8, 2000, 11:45 AM
A couple of guys had these guns at our three gun match. At a ten slug shot stage, one refused to cycle the second and third shots. Some of the guys said it was because he had a side saddle with six on it. He removed three shells from the side saddle and it worked fine. Then on second stage with eight regular buck shot, his ghost ring went flying through the air on the second shot. I was interested in this gun until I saw the trouble he had. Now this was the first time he had shot this gun as he had bought it used from another shooter. What about the side saddle issue? I assume flying ghost rings are not normal? But I must admit I did chuckle. I ask these questions because I still like the looks of the gun, but not overly impressed with the performance I saw.

motorep
January 9, 2000, 02:27 PM
I had a pre ban M1, which was one of the worst guns, reliability-wise, that I have ever owned. It screwed me at least once in every 3gun match for a year. I shoot with plenty of people that own and compete successfully with M1s, mine was just one of those lemons that come into your life occasionally just to make it miserable. I got to know the customer service people at Benelli, got to know my gunsmith better, got to know the ins and outs of Benelli shotguns, how they're put together and how they function. Finally traded it for a new Kimber Stainless Pro Carry Lightweight 45 and went back to shooting an 1100. All is now right again.

hickok45
January 12, 2000, 06:18 PM
Interesting that others feel the pistol grip is actually a detriment; I've suspected the same and have offered to trade the pistol grip stock for the standard straight stock. Have had no takers yet, but I would still trade even if someone were interested.

I've owned my Super 90 for about 10 years now and absolutely love it. To me, it's the Glock of shotguns: ugly, but incredibly reliable and functional.

Anybody interested in trading stocks??

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966

John Overbey
January 13, 2000, 08:03 PM
Where were you a couple weeks ago? I just had to buy a "tactical" style stock for mine. There are a couple places that sell the "traditional" style stock fairly cheap too though... I don't have the info with me at work, but if you want, e-mail me and I'll let you know where to find 'em. Personally, I love my M-1 with ghost rings and pistol grip stock. Seems to make it handle quicker and make recoil more managable. Just my opinion.
-John

VictorLouis
January 23, 2000, 12:14 AM
Ned: Spoke w/local dealer on s.s. prob. Back-off mount screws 1/2 - one full turn and Loctite to prevent movement. Over torqueing "pinches" receiver, causing probs.

hickok45
January 23, 2000, 09:45 PM
We discovered back in the early '90's at shotgun matches that the Super 90 did not like Side Saddles. As has been mentioned, pinching the receiver just a little affects function. I decided I really didn't like the Side Saddle that much anyway, except for competition, so I've gotten away from them even on Remingtons.

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966

NAD
January 24, 2000, 11:23 PM
Instead of a side saddle try the Combat Speed Stripper made by Choate. It attaches to your belt and holds 6 shells. I can easily grab two at a time.

NAD
January 24, 2000, 11:25 PM
Instead of a side saddle try the Combat Speed Stripper made by Choate. It attaches to your belt and holds 6 shells. I can easily grab two at a time.

NAD
January 24, 2000, 11:26 PM

NAD
January 24, 2000, 11:27 PM

NAD
January 24, 2000, 11:29 PM

CMOS
January 25, 2000, 08:59 AM
Geez NAD, we get you point! ;)

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

oberkommando
January 25, 2000, 01:57 PM
IMHO best auto bar none. Never had problem with exception of rear ghost ring thats somehwere in canyon. Having MMC installed that will be last of that.NO cycle problems and allways shoot with full saddle of 3"00 or 000 buck none to light at all. When you put gun to shoulder you are in effect attaching yourself to the gun, that is why it will stall if you limp wrist it, not enough weight for the recoil action to press against. The springs have to compress and need a "backstop" so to speak. You know the old "for every action there is and equal....
I still dont buy the weight problem causing trouble I think the saddle may have torqued the receiver a little and caused it. Mine has weight on it and works fine. But then again when your as bad as me you usually dont have any problems. ;)

mckysdad
February 10, 2000, 01:47 AM
HI Oberkommando - what is MMC?

Thanks in advance!