PDA

View Full Version : milsurp choices

gburner
March 28, 2002, 01:05 PM
If asked to choose between the French MAS 49/56 in 7.5 MM and the current crop of Yugo SKS carbines, which would you choose and why. As always, thanks in advance for your input.

Aion
March 28, 2002, 01:21 PM
I don't know about the MASs, but I've seen three separate threads on FTF problems with the Yugos in the last 24 hrs alone.

- Aion

Salt
March 28, 2002, 01:30 PM
I am more familiar with the SKS and ammo is cheap. So I would take the Yugo SKS and a case of 7.62x39mm.

If the French 7.5mm ammo was as cheap & common as the 7.62x39mm, then I would reconsider.

Poodleshooter
March 28, 2002, 02:07 PM
Yugo SKS if I had to make a choice. 7.5 ammo is only going to get harder to find.
Actually neither would be my choice, as I can't help but see visions of the $89 Norinco SKS's being sold back in '93.

Fred S
March 28, 2002, 02:41 PM
Go with the SKS. Its a good carbine and the ammo is plentiful and cheap. The MAS is neat to shoot but 7.5 is hard to find and expensive.

ZeusOne
March 28, 2002, 04:21 PM
Regarding problems with the Yugo SKS:

Most of the reported problems have been failure to cycle, and the cases I've read about have been repaired by checking and adjusting the gas piston/handguard assembly alignment.

As far as econo-semi-autos go, I think it's a good rifle for the money, and there's lots of cheap ammo available.

9mmepiphany
March 28, 2002, 05:14 PM
go with the SKS

1. the most basic reason should be the cost to feed it, you can't even reload for the cost of 7.62x39mm
2. the SKS is as reliable as the AK family...like any gun of that age it needs to be checked and tuned
3. the SKS is IMO the best "bang for the buck" in a battle proven rifle without any add-ons

jsosko
April 9, 2002, 08:10 AM
I HAVE 2 YUGO SKS'S AND ONE DIDN'T WORK AFTER TEST FIRING. I CHANGED THE GAS TUBE AND ITS ON THE MONEY. JUST BE SURE TO INSPECT FOR CORROSION.

I WOULD CERTAINLY LOOK AT THE AVAILABILITY OF THE 7.5 AMMO. EVENTUALLY I WILL HAVE A MAS JUST BECAUSE, BUT I PROBABLY WONT HAVE IT AS A SHOOTER!:D

Nestor Rivera
April 9, 2002, 03:32 PM
Either one is fine (I have both) as to the ammo question the
7,5 French is being made new production (see coles) but it
they shoud stop it is very easy to make it out of 6.5x55 with
the Lee Die. I bought my first MAS when there was NO new
ammo and just made my own. The Bullet dia. is .308

Yes That is a comma in the title thats how the french write it ;)