PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Mossberg 590

cheyenne
January 24, 2000, 04:02 PM
I read about the mixed comments about the plastic triggerguard and safety of the 590.
I bought mine a couple of months ago and shot about 150 shells without any problem - reliability was ok.
can I expect someday the safety to come apart or the triggerguard fall to pieces ?
Can I replace those two items with the steel parts from the 590A1?
Anyway I love my 590 and more important , being in the police force my life depends on it.
Living in Belgium I had to buy the 590, 590A1 are not imported in my country.

Wingspan
January 24, 2000, 05:15 PM
I've put a couple thousand rounds through my 500 with no problems. Unless your planning to use your shotgun for a baseball bat, you'll be ok with the factory parts. :)

John Overbey
January 24, 2000, 05:49 PM
Ive got a 500, 835, 590 (security), and a 590A1. I have put tons of rounds through each, and have had zero problems. I haven't broken any of the plastic pieces, so I don't think it's a problem. The differences between the 590 Security and the 590A1 are: heavier barrel, metal saftey, and metal trigger gaurd. I know the barrel from the 'A1 is a direct swap for the security version, and from a few conversations with the customer service folks, I believe the other parts will swap in as well, but I haven't tried it. The parts are available directly from Mossberg, so if you actually manage to break something, you might give it a try. The only time I recommend looking for the A1 as opposed to the security is when buying new - it's about a $30 difference. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, there really isn't much difference between the two.
-John

Ned Roundtree
January 24, 2000, 06:28 PM
Okay, showing my ignorance. Why is 590A1 not allowed in Belgium?

cheyenne
January 25, 2000, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the reply fellow(shot) gun lovers.
The next thing I am going to do is a lot of practicing with my 590 and forget about the plastic.
Why the 590A1 is not imported into my country ?
I guess it's the fact that even for a pump action you have to got a permit (restrict gun laws you know ).
As for the 590 I think I was lucky to find this one in the gun shop and the owner told me he imported the 590 directly from Mossberg in Germany :)