PDA

View Full Version : How to disassemble a Winchester 94?

six 4 sure
March 27, 2002, 03:00 PM
I have a 38/357 leveraction, with a SN# 6,000,000+ that I'd like to know how to compleatly disassemble. Is there a decent web site that might show me this? Or is there a good book I need to buy? I'm looking for something more helpful than the parts diagram on the winchester home page. Thanks.

Six

Harley Nolden
March 27, 2002, 03:06 PM
send me an email, and I'll send you the disassem w/photos

HJN

Art Eatman
March 27, 2002, 07:54 PM
:D Taking it apart is easy. Remove all screws and pins. Shake well. :D

But be sure Harley sends the photos and text, since if it's two years later when you start to reassemble, it can be a, er, "puzzle". That's it, puzzle.

And it can be put back together without a hammer or an acetylene torch. I guarantee it.

:D, Art

johnwill
March 27, 2002, 09:51 PM
I detail stripped my Win-94, and it was one of the more difficult guns to reassemble that I've worked on! That's without leaving out some parts, of course! :D

James K
March 27, 2002, 11:26 PM
All the old Winchesters, except the Model 66 and 73, are a pain to disassemble and reassemble. In order of pain, the 1895 is tops, followed by the 1894 and the 1892. It just seems that each new model became more difficult. And they never understood why the Army didn't rush to adopt Winchesters.

Jim

johnwill
March 28, 2002, 11:09 AM
It's a nice little gun, but I won't be taking it apart again any time soon! I figured after 40 years or so, it was past time for it to have a really good cleaning and tune-up, and it was an all-day job! :)

MitchSchaft
March 28, 2002, 09:48 PM
since if it's two years later when you start to reassemble
LOL! What a coincidence. I took mine apart some time back in October and still haven't put it back together :D. My brother-in-law gave it to me because it's broken. I found out that it's just missing a small $1 pin. I just haven't gotten around to calling a gun smith to see how I would go about getting one.
I used this (http://members.fortunecity.com/oldvalkyry/winch.html) site to help me. Wasn't as hard as I thought, but I think I did forget how I was going to put it back together.
Harley, I'll send you an email if you don't mind. I would love to get ahold of some decent pics and diagrams.

Art Eatman
March 28, 2002, 10:15 PM
I was given a 1902-version .25-35 with an obstructed barrel. I think it came back out of Mexico. The barrel obstruction apparently was made by sticking an arc-welding rod in and cranking up the amps.

So, I took it apart and cleaned the rust off and out and all that. About two years later I found a Type 2 .30-30 barrel and cobbled it up where it will shoot. Sorta home-made modified sights, and no front barrel band, but it groups quite adequately if I wanted to aggravate Bambi.

And you sure couldn't hurt its looks!

:), Art

six 4 sure
March 29, 2002, 07:30 PM
for all the help everyone. The pictures and disassemle instructions were helpful Harley. I still can't figure out how to get the lever off yet but I'm working on it. It seems the newer rifles have a few more pieces.

I have a follow up question for everyone. The reason I asked about this is I'm want to put on a large lever loop and because I'd like to strip the bluing off the reciever and case harden color it. I have no idea how to case harden something, but is there some kind of bluing kit that will produce the same type of coloring?

Any help would be great.

Six

Mal H
March 29, 2002, 08:01 PM
s4s - a couple of years ago I purchased a manual called "Sequence of Take-Down and Assembly Operations" for the Model 94 from Brownell's. It is chock full of good mechanical drawing types of pictures, tips and techniques to take down the 94 and, more importantly, get it back together. I have used it several times and found it invaluable. I do recall getting the lever out without much trouble. You might want to get a copy of it.

Without knowing what Harley sent, the pix and info might be from that manual. ??

jjmorgan64
March 29, 2002, 10:59 PM
Your best bet is to reblue it or hire the case hardening out, it looks both complicated and easy to screw up