PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT 92 AF off target

JSalcedo
March 27, 2002, 11:14 AM
Hi folks.
I recently bought a used Taurus PT 92 AF at a pawnshop for around $290. It is in great condition.

When I took it out to the range for the first time
I immediately noticed it was shooting about 5 inches left at 15 yards. Otherwise the gun functioned flawlessly.

I tried that sellier and bellot ammo as well
as some mixed bag cheapie reloads from cabelas.

Elevation is perfect BTW.

I am a pretty good shot so I am assuming its the
sights. This Taurus has the 2 white dot rear sight non adjustable type in the dovetail slot.

Before I start knocking the rear sight around with
a brass punch I need to know the proper procedure
and increments for moving the bullets back on target.

I have a feeling this is why the gun got pawned
in the first place.
:D

I would appreciate any wisdom on this subject.

J. Salcedo

Pigshooter
March 27, 2002, 02:16 PM
It really could be a damaged barrel from a squib load. Get a bore light and check it out closely, especially in the throat area. Also inspect the outside closely for cracks. And finally, check the end of the barrel for damage, especially a nick fromm dropping it or something.

mlk18
March 27, 2002, 03:43 PM
Just remember to move the rear sight the same direction as you want the rounds to go (shoot more right, move sight right). And move in small increments.

Lennyjoe
March 27, 2002, 04:20 PM
Check the local range and see if they have a bench rest of some type. Use the rest and shoot a few shots at 7 yds and see where its hitting. If its hitting dead center then use this target below to see if its the shooter.

JSalcedo
March 27, 2002, 05:20 PM
I checked the gun throughout and can see no
evidence of cracking, rifling is clean and the muzzle is sharp and undamaged.

I'll try moving the rear sight to the left a milimeter or 2 and see how that works.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the gun left
the Taurus factory with the wrong sight adjustment
because the gun doesn't look like its been fired more than a couple hundred times and the dovetail shows no signs of tampering.

As a side note: the trigger on this gun is about
1000 times better than the Beretta 92s I've tried.
Double action is about 12 Lbs consistent pressure
and smooth, single action is about 6 Lbs with no sponge or creep.

Thanks all for the great information.

J. Salcedo

Cornbread2
March 27, 2002, 06:08 PM
Most right handed shooters will shoot to the left if their trigger pull is not correct. Any flinch whatsoever even one that you are not aware of will put your rounds low and left.

hksigwalther
March 28, 2002, 10:18 AM
Uh, if your gun is shooting left, I think you want to move the rear sight to the right.

That is, to move the bullet impact to the right, move the rear sight to the right.