PDA

View Full Version : Finish on Remington 870 and moly spray?

Josh D
January 19, 2000, 05:41 PM
I have an 870 and the finish is pretty bad on it. That doesn't really bother me, but what does is that if I leave it wet or even touch it for more than a day, it will rust.

I had a recommendation to use Brownells teflon moly spray. It will wear off, but is supposed to protect the metal long after the finish is gone, which is just what I'm looking for.

Anyone used this stuff before?

------------------
Don't turn around, uh oh oh, der kommisar is in town, uh oh oh!

Dave McC
January 20, 2000, 07:58 AM
I'd be worried more about what's happening on the inside, if it's that prone to rust.

IMO, you should completely disassemble the weapon and clean same, then use a good oil and rust preventative on every part. Reassemble and wipe a thin coat on the outside also...

pbash
January 20, 2000, 10:41 AM
The teflon/moly finishes are really easy to apply, look super and are highly resistant to chemicals. However, they are not impervious to damage. They will scratch and wear about like a good blued finish will (maybe a *little* tougher) and once worn off a spot, that spot will rust just like any other un-coated spot. Also, they will not do anything, like Dave points out, to protect parts like the inside of the barrel that are next to impossible to get to with the spray. If you are leaving your gun wet, you are going to get rust whether you can see that rust or not.

[This message has been edited by pbash (edited January 20, 2000).]

Josh D
January 20, 2000, 05:27 PM
I never leave my gun wet. I have stripped it several times, after every season, sometimes more. The only part that will rust easily is the top of the reciever, as it has 4-5 small rust specks on it.

Remoil is a looser, and I started using CLP and haven't had a prob since, but I still want a tougher finish.

------------------
Don't turn around, uh oh oh, der kommisar is in town, uh oh oh!

N.Y.G MP Pvt
January 21, 2000, 07:11 AM
Why not send it to Wilson/Scatterguns Tech. for a rebuild. They have a special package for a little over $100 or so. From what I hear the gun will look and function like new. Matter of fact I'm looking for an 870 in bad shape to send to them(wanna make a pickup truck gun outa it)

Bennett Richards
January 22, 2000, 02:59 AM
Wilson's ( ScatterGun Tech...) will Armor-Tuff finish the weapon for a reasonable price. Also call up Dan at Tactical Weaponry and Refinishing (909) 696-2550
He will do a complete Olive Drab, Grey or Matte Black Moly coating for $145.00. I have seen his work and it is SUPERB. I am having him do my Marine Magnum in Olive.

Ben

jnix
January 22, 2000, 04:28 PM
You know you would probably be best off buying a new shotgun. I bought my Rem. 870 Marine Magnum for $270. This shotgun was designed to get wet. I bet I could leave it in salt water for a month and it will still fire. Very nice gun.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people the government does", Rusty Shackleford.

TheOtherMikey
January 22, 2000, 05:18 PM
All of the "Moly" sprays marked by the various vendors are intend to provide a dry lubricant to the moving parts of the firearm. The molybydium forms an electro-chemical bond to the metal and provides superior lubrication.

But as a preservative on the exterior barrel, I feel it is not as effective as some of the other products having more of a silicon base. These include such products as Birchwood-Casey Sheath and plain old silicon impregnated cloths.

Your best bet is to have the firearm refinished to protect the bare metal. My personal preference is to refinish in accordance with the original finish of the weapon....blue to blue, park to park, etc.

The absolute worst thing to do is to neglect the firearm finish. Regards, Mikey.