PDA

View Full Version : What is your fighting style?

ronin308
March 26, 2002, 04:23 PM
What is everyone's fighting style? Elaborate if you picked "None of the above" or "combination of the above". Feel free to list the specific style that you study as well.

ronin308
March 26, 2002, 04:31 PM
BTW I voted "All of the Above". I've studied all of them but my primary methods rely on the strange combination of all the techniques that my body has learned.

Spectre
March 26, 2002, 04:38 PM
How old does an art have to be to be "traditional"? Many of the popular fighting styles are less than 300 years old, and therefore, not "traditional" to the purist.

Betty
March 26, 2002, 04:55 PM
I haven't formally learned any fighting art, and haven't gotten into a fistfight since high school or into anything really nasty beyond my older brother and me butting heads.

I couldn't resist posting when I saw "Skull Crusher", because it reminded me of when my psycho ex-boyfriend told me about a nasty fight he got into in a barroom bathroom. The other guy dragged him over to the toilet and dashed his jaw to pieces on the bowl.

His jaw and nerves were damaged badly, and when the doctors "rewired" him, they somehow crisscrossed the "wires" that control his sweat and salivary glands on his cheek. When he chews food, he sweats insted of salivates, and when he gets hot, he salivates instead of sweats. Mildly entertaining to watch.

boris_01
March 26, 2002, 06:02 PM
I am a combination. I've trained in - Ishin ryu karate- American combat Jujitsu- Boxing- Muay thai- Judo. I gravitate to Muay Thai, boxing and Jujitsu. Hated Karate and judo. Too structured and rooted in tradition. I don't want to waste half my training time doing katas and bowing to everything. Although I did pick up some valuable techniques and experience from them. I just would rather train in reality based styles. Where you actually make contact and use techniques geared for actual combat. I don't get into the spiritual mumbo jumbo, using outdated, traditional weapons or into breaking boards and bricks. I want tested and proven techniques. Tested in sparring and proven in successful application in sparring and or competition. And don't reply and hound me about competition is not reality. I know that. But it is a good avenue for practicing against an unwilling opponent in a controlled environment without the threat of death or serious injury.( Hopefully.) I understand that there are techniques that would be used in a real situation that are not allowed in competition. But practice the ones that are allowed so you may become fluent.

KSFreeman
March 26, 2002, 06:05 PM
runt, O.K., let's see if I can top that? [thinking--smoke smell] When I was a LEO I did a case involving a psycho boyfriend and a young woman living in an apartment. He came storming over to the apartment like they all do, kicks in the door like they all do, rips out the phone like they all do, "tries to talk" to her like they all do, and then . . . . rips off her artificial leg and starts beating her with it!:eek:

Mere lacerations and contusions, no rewiring needed.

Yikes, I've not answered Dan's post. I have a style, it's very chic and European. It's called running away. I think it's been around since the time of the pharohs (at least Ramsey).

ronin308
March 26, 2002, 06:27 PM
KSFreeman- :D That's harsh...I don't think I could beat a woman at all, especially with her own leg :eek:

Runt- LOL!! I can see it in my head now...

Scix
March 26, 2002, 07:02 PM
I chose "Traditional Arts", though I don't think I fit exactly into the category. I spent a few years learning Isshin Ryu karate. However, the Shihan of the dojo was a street fighter, not a "Martial Artist". We covered the fundamentals and katas of Isshin Ryu, but all of the real training was focused on taking the other guy down as fast and hard as possible.
About a year after I left, the Shihan officially changed his teaching to "Isshin Jutsu", which is definitely not one of the traditional arts. :) Technically, I'm a student of Isshin Ryu, but it's actually Isshin Jutsu.

ronin308
March 26, 2002, 07:47 PM
Spectre- To answer your question: I'm defining "traditional" as any of the arts that have been derived before or during the early 20th century. I know that is late but I'm defining it that way for the sake of my poll. For example I consider Aikido to be a "traditional" art. Even though Morihei was around during the 20th century. My memory escapes me...what art do you train in? You've told us before but I forget :(

Spectre
March 26, 2002, 08:04 PM
Bujutsu through the Jinenkan organization. I count myself fortunate to have been assigned to WA, since there is a dojo in the state! (Spartacus traveled 185 miles each way, usually 2x a month, to train in Atlanta for about the last 4 years.)

You're right, it is kind of nebulous, isn't it? I suppose the difference being more one of how formal one is with the students. I believe this was mostly a result of Japanese militarism in the 1800's, more than a natural way of teaching the arts.

Skorzeny
March 26, 2002, 08:22 PM
Spectre:

Did Marcelo Alonso ever give a "seminar" there?

Skorzeny

Spectre
March 26, 2002, 08:32 PM
Not to my knowledge. Jinenkan schools are typically very careful about only teaching what Fumio Manaka has put out. OTOH, while I was training with Bud Malstrom, he had Kevin (MAD DOG) and Kathy Long do a knife fighting seminar there (email me if you want more detail on the results). I haven't had the chance to do any training in WA yet, since I just made it out of ITB training at Benning Friday. I should be flying into Ft. Lewis on the 10th.

woodland
March 26, 2002, 09:25 PM
SCARS
I know, I've heard all the opinions, but I've looked at many different styles, and this is what I believe is the best one. And that's just my opinion.;)

Tamara
March 26, 2002, 09:28 PM
Plan A: Run.

Plan B: If something makes me scared enough to run and my escape is somehow thwarted, there may be a shootin'.

DaveK
March 26, 2002, 09:43 PM
I took tae kwon do as a child, wing tsun in high school, and a general sort of no-rules chinese kung fu thing by way of Laos in college.

So I wimped out on the survey and just said "a combination," albeit of a more eastern bent.

The big question for me has always been how does one make the more flashy aspects of these arts actually work in a fight.

The main knowledge I have picked up in various martial art schools is that of my own limitations as to what very few techniques I even have the physical ability to perform, let alone effectively. Deficiencies is my own level of flexibility and coordination have meant that I have been exposed to a number of techniques, especially kicking techniques, that I simply can not use effectively by any stretch of the imagination.

Always wanted to take some boxing, maybe will do so in the very near future as I will soon be getting ridiculously old to be getting started in something like that.

Somewhat off topic-I have been searching the internet to find the actual rules of today's No Holds Barred competitions with little success. Would anyone be able to explain them to me or direct me to a site that could? All I have been able to discover so far is that it involves a decent amount of wrestling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave

ronin308
March 26, 2002, 10:08 PM
Tamara- I agree with you on Plan A. But for Plan B I differ since I cannot legally carry a firearm yet in IN. I can carry either my ASP or some of my knives here though. According to school policy, I can't even carry these on campus :( So I guess I'd better practice to be a halfway decent pugilist :)

Spectre- That's really cool you have the opportunity to study Bujutsu. I had to quit doing Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido when I came to college. There's no school here :( Also I went to the Aikido club here and wound up highly dissatisfied. There are many MA schools here but its mostly of your candy coated University-friendly type of stuff. Its tough to pursue traditional type arts when you have to keep moving around the country! My main MA preoccupations consist of me trying to not lose the things that my body has learned.

C.R.Sam
March 26, 2002, 10:20 PM
Plan A, avoid.
Plan b, use combination of poll choices as appropriate.

Training; service boxing (Army and Navy), assortment of hand to hand combat courses over a full military carrear. Both empty hand and armed. Most of the training was non-art, in that the goal was to take out the opponant with the first move. That failing then to prevail by whatever means.

Even Musashi was a firm believer in winning with the first move, firearm at distance, then long sword, then short sword as appropriate. Staff, rock or whatever was at hand. Make do or die.

The primary weapon is the mind. Situational awareness is your life jacket.

Sam

therookie
March 26, 2002, 10:35 PM
I've taken Jiu-Jitsu, Hwarang-Do, and Shotokan... but if a fight broke out, I'm grabbing a random weapon, be it at pool cue, fire extinguisher, etc.... That is if I can't run like hell first....

JFucile
March 26, 2002, 10:43 PM
I'm with C.R.Sam on this one.

Trained in a small amount of martial arts when I was young followed by armed and unarmed combat training in the Corps. Top that off with a large amount of anything goes street / bar fights and mix well.

Question is why does a guy that has absolutely no qualms about smacking his girlfriend / wife around curl up into a fetal position and piss themselves when looked at sideways by someone who can put up a decent defense ?

In the words of my Marine instructor - If the fight lasts longer then 3 seconds you're taking too damn long.

Daniel
March 27, 2002, 05:57 AM
First style: Mind-Fu.

Second: Run-Fu.

Third: Tong Long Kung-Fu. (Southern Mantis.)

shy_man
March 27, 2002, 07:57 AM
I combined karate, Judo, hapkido, stick fighting (Arnis) and the basic western punches. I've got only 1st dan black belt in all of the above but for now, I only use the basic for self defense, as in all fight I use my common sense to get in or just withdraw from it.

ATeaM
March 27, 2002, 07:57 AM
I just start laughing hysterically then I kick them in the nuts.

LawDog
March 27, 2002, 11:08 PM
Nike-fu. Backed up with chair-fu, branch-fu, cue-fu and gun-fu.

Teriary back-up with a little judo, some arnis and some kick-boxing.

LawDog

Hemicuda
March 28, 2002, 08:04 AM
Like Mr. Miagi said in Karate Kid - Bets way to take punch is no be there...

Run away, as there is no reason totake a punch... and what the heck was I doing letting someone get close enough topunch me anyway?

milcaztra
March 28, 2002, 09:22 AM
Lol. This is a fun thread ....... a lot of good advice and experiences coming out. Runt, that's a pretty funny story ....... this guy sounds like someone I definitely aspire not to meet.

There's an old Chinese martial arts saying that translates to: "first, mind; second, body; third, technique." This is one of the simplest but truest dcotrines I've ever heard.

Awareness, determination, aggressiveness, etc. -- the mental game -- are the most important factors in "conflict management." Knowing when to run and when to fight are pretty important, as are knowing the Use of Force laws in your state.

Body is about as important -- most people tire out after 30 seconds or so of full-tilt combat. Endurance, strong legs, and developed mid-section are a must.

Technique should bring it all together with some degree of focus. I've studied, on and off (mostly off), a little TKD, Aikido, Kendo, Okinawan Karate, Krav, and Muay Thai. What would I do in a fight? Beat feet. :p

Given extremely limited training time, I'd rather spend it running or lifting weights, with some Krav Maga and Muay Thai training. I have a friend whose a former national wu shu champion in the PRC -- he likes Muay Thai as a pure combat system. The "old" arts are great in some contexts, but I got tired of sifting through extraneous material. I really like the "modern" systems that focus on simple, gross muscle movements.

Rickmeister
March 28, 2002, 09:42 AM
I did Judo half a life ago, and, with no practice in twenty years, admit to have gotten a little rusty at it.

I do retain a hard inborn punch, however (though little endurance to brag for). So today I might rely on a quick pre-emptive strike to get out of harm's way.

Bubba Blitz is always nearby, of course.

22lovr
March 28, 2002, 10:37 AM
I'm 56 now but have never honestly been in a fight since I was a kid. I simply have never been picked on and I think one of the reasons I don't get picked on is my appearance. You've heard the expression "built like a fireplug?" I R that fireplug. My fighting style is to avoid fighting and "put it in reverse" when necessary.

I've been an aircraft loader for the better part of my life; here are my stats:
5'-10", 200 lbs, size 12 shoes, 7 5/8" hat size, huge hands and fingers, size 46 coat size, 38" waist, and I've got those abs of steel from constantly lifting large heavy objects over my head.

I don't know if I'm a "little big man" or a "big little man".....I'm ruddy faced with thinning red hair and I guess come across as no one to mess with or provoke. My wife says I intimidate people, even though I have a docile nature and abhor fighting or violence.

Where a lot of my relatives and friends are getting sloppy and paunchy in their 50's, I look very fit and still look like I can handle myself in a physical confrontation.

Fighting style if needed? Probably "a**holes and elbows" because with my physical job and everage/lifting/pushing/balance techniques, I still think I could do some damage to anyone who is a skilled fighter.

Finally, I think something can be said for a man who has a very physical occupation over perhaps someone who is sedentary or works at a desk. I would think twice about picking on a man who did heavy physical labor every day, even if he didn't have any fighting skills.

USPLover
March 28, 2002, 11:57 AM
I used to take classes in Tae Kwon Do, but i gave that up after they made me spar a girl in a tournament... I just couldn't hit a girl... sigh.

but now... i know "Ching-Ching"

<ching ching=the sound my usp45 makes when you rack the slide>

Kermit
March 28, 2002, 12:31 PM
I learned along time ago that there are no rules in a street fight. The objective is to end the aggression as quickly as possible w/ minimal to no injury to myself.

Gunter
March 28, 2002, 01:11 PM
Havn't been in a fight since school (lucky me; but since I don't drink alcohol or sit in bars I can avoid bar fights).

Did some Judo, but no striking arts till last years' self defense course with Andy Stanford.

One guy at school did really want to fight, and went into a boxing position with most of his weight on the rearward leg. Blocked the forward leg an pushed him over it. He dropped like a stone, jumped up again, an asked "was that judo?". Then he shoved me a bit (I stayed up) and decided it wasn't worth it.

ronin308
March 28, 2002, 02:12 PM
Lots of cool input so far! I'm surprised that there is nobody who has voted for the traditional western arts. As far as the "I never get into fights" issue, I don't either. I just wanted to know what people consider to be their personal style for fighting. I don't get into gunfights but I train really hard with firearms. It is no different with your hands. Its not as easy to run away as some may think. Have you ever walked on a really crowded street? Someone could come up from behind you even if you're in condition yellow. I find it strange when people say they will never have to fight for any reason. Sure it is not a likely event, but its good to know you can take care of yourself if you have to.

falconer
April 1, 2002, 01:58 PM
I've spent time learning kung fu on and off since I was a kid, and the past 5 years or so studying it seriously. I've trained in Shuai Chiao, Chinese military art of throwing,locking and striking, Hsing I, an "internal" striking art also popular with the chinese military over the centuries, as well as techniques from Lohan, Pa Qua, and various Shaolin styles. Recently I have done a little Judo to compliment my ground fighting training from Shuai Chiao.

striderteen
April 7, 2002, 11:28 PM
Baseball bat-fu

This-is-a-blunt-fencing-sword-but-I-can-still-stab-it-through-your-neck-fu

Courier
April 8, 2002, 01:31 AM
Woodland stated that SCARs was the best he's found. I have seen the ads for it, but have not heard from anybody that took it. Any info, is it as good as it seems to be?

Mike in VA
April 8, 2002, 07:36 AM
I wrestled in high school and boxed some in the army, wasn't particularly good at either, though I did learn I can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

IRL, I have embraced several styles:
- the way of the snake tongue - try to talk my way out of it, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the tree - leave, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the buffalo breath (pepper spray), if that don't work, there's
- the way of the rabbit - run, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the donkey - really haul @$$, if that don't work, there's
- the way of the dragon - trading blows until one can find the way of the rabbit, , if that don't work, there's
- the way of the Colt (.45) - actuall more like the way of the Kahr, SIG or Kimber, yaknowhatImean.

Matt Wallis
April 8, 2002, 08:38 AM
Since I am currently studying Medieval swordplay and grappling, I really wanted to put in a vote for traditional Western Arts. But, the fact that I've also studied TKD for years put me firmly into "combo" colum.

Regards,
Matt

zot
April 8, 2002, 03:41 PM
I allways go for throat and eyes,open hand to chest to try and backoff BG, but a hard thrust sliding up to throat with fingers
seems to work, plus a nice palm to nose, and a quick fingers to
eyes,also ears seem to rip easily,and just grab little finger and break it back real fast, don't know what style this is but it does work, if all else fails boot knife slashing all over body, then run!:D