PDA

View Full Version : Garand vs. M14

Fatelvis
March 24, 2002, 05:00 PM
Does anyone prefer to shoot the Garand over the M14? And if so, what are your reasons? I currently own a M1A, and I`m looking at a couple nice Garands, and was wondering if the Garand had any advantages over the M1A. Thanks for your thoughts-

Kernel
March 24, 2002, 07:02 PM
Old thread:

Which is more accurate? M1 Garand vs M14.. (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69627&highlight=garand+m14)

Salt
March 24, 2002, 10:48 PM
I would go with a semi-auto M-14 every time. More firepower than the old M1 rifle and it is chambered in a modern military cartridge (7.62 NATO).

The civilian may just as well go with M1 rifle though. The hi-cap mags are becoming harder and harder to find due to the Brady laws. Since a 10rd detacheable box magazine has no real advantage over the 8 round clips of the M1, a civilian may just as well go the with old M1 rifle.

Noban
March 24, 2002, 11:12 PM
Oh, come on - just buy it :D

The best thing about Garands is that they're half the price of an M1A and just as fun. You can even get them in .308 so you can use the same ammo.

Noban

Dave3006
March 24, 2002, 11:33 PM
You can get closer to the ground with a Garand

Clips load faster

You can carry more ammo

30-06 is way better than that wimpy .308 round

It is the gun America used when it used to win wars.

SteveSatch
March 24, 2002, 11:54 PM
I prefer the ergonomics of the M1 over the M14/M1A. It just feels better to me.

swampyMO
March 25, 2002, 08:05 AM
Fatelvis,

Stevesatch beat me to it... ergonomics.

I have both an M1-A and several Garands. Both are great weapons, but I LOVE the Garand.

Even though the M1-A is more accurate from a bench or "slung up" prone, the Garand is (for me) more accurate while standing. The M1 hangs better in the offhand position. It also does not have that annoying magazine getting in the way of a good offhand stock hold.

Right now I'm having an M1 built up, fully match conditioned, in .308, refinished, and with new stock, barrel, sights, and gas cylinder.

Can't wait till it's done. Then I'll have the best of all my preferred worlds... Accuracy better than my M1-A, no magazine to interfere with my positions, good offhand "hang", cheap .308 practice ammo I don't have to re-load, and best of all, a "brand new" looking rifle. Will post photos here when it's home, you bet.... :)

Swampy

bernie
March 25, 2002, 10:52 AM
I too prefer the M1 rifle. I had a NM M1A that was a truly great shooter, but I sold it after it sitting unused for awhile. When I reached into the safe to go shoot, the M1 always came out, and the M1A sat in the back collecting dust.

Oleg Volk
March 25, 2002, 11:13 AM
I'd prefer a Garand IF I could get a .308 barrel for it. Does anyone make barrels for chopped Garands or would I just have to re-make it into a full-length gun once my stocks of 30-06 run down?

Daryl Waldron
March 25, 2002, 02:49 PM
I too have both. I think the M1A is a better overall rifle. BUT, there is just something about shooting the Garand. To me it has less felt recoil. I like my M1A but i love my M1.

Fred S
March 25, 2002, 05:45 PM
I'll echo others here. I have a M1A and three Garands. I like all four rifles. My M1A shoot very nice but there is still something about hearing that ping of the enbloc clip coming out of the Garand.

Unkel Gilbey
March 25, 2002, 11:28 PM
Oleg,

There are aftermarket Garand barrels chambered in .308 all over the place. Gun Parts Corporation (Numrich) has 'em, Fulton Armory has em, and even Brownells has em. You can get an ordinary, run of the mill barrel for just over $100.00, or you could go whole hog and get a Match barrel for your baby!

Brownells used to sell a plastic block which went into the magazine (forward) to keep the 308 shells from riding too far forward in the clip while loaded in the rifle, but they've stopped carrying this piece. I have been told that this device isn't really needed, but I'd say the jury is still out on that one. Other than that, you can pretty much get her into action after swapping barrels.

I have a 308 barrel that is waiting on a rainy day, but it's short chambered, and will need finish reaming before it can be used in my rifle.

But this would all be for the normal length Garand, as the gas port, and all the other stuff on the barrel (threading for the gas block, etc. is still in the normal places. Once the barrel is swapped, I can hang all the old furniture off of it, and go shooting!

If I understand you correctly, your Garand is a shorty? Like a Tanker model? I would imagine that a good smith could shorten it (a 308 barrel) up, if that's what you needed, he'd just have to copy your 30-06 barrel.

But damfino why you'd want a shorty Garand! Like mine stock, as she's the best off-hand shooting rifle that I own!

Good luck!

Unkel Gilbey

BamBam-31
March 26, 2002, 02:11 AM
Poster above said it best: "I like my M1A, I LOVE my Garand."

When I'm shooting my M1A, I'm all business. When I'm shooting my Garand, I have this starry-eyed look like I'm some teenie-bopper at an N-Sync concert.

M1 Garand: $600
M1A Loaded: $1400
"Bing" from enbloc clip: Priceless. :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta find my "Band of Brothers" tapes.

MP Freeman
March 28, 2002, 03:15 PM
I do not like hearing that "ping" from a garand. It means I'm out of ammo.

I only have the M1A so far. I just put a 4X scope on the critter, which isn't that easy on a Garand.
I'm convinced both rifles are truly great and excellent shooters.

MPF

Steve Smith
March 28, 2002, 03:32 PM
Wha'ts wrong with the "ping?"

ACP230
March 28, 2002, 07:34 PM
It is hard for me to pick between these two fine rifles. I find the M1A easier to use in match shooting, and a little easier on the shoulder too. I reload for both of them, but the Garand still kicks more even with reloads.
The M14 I got to shoot once put the whole question in a different light. Shooting three to five round bursts of .308 off the M14 bipod was great!

Destructo6
March 28, 2002, 08:50 PM
I like the machine that goes, "ping".

I'd like to get one of my Garands rechambered for .308, too. It would make ammo buying much simpler, since I have two other .308's. Anybody know how much the smithing services would cost?

Bottom Gun
March 28, 2002, 09:13 PM
I've had both and the Garand gets my vote. It's much easier to carry in the field without that cumbersome magazine, they are equally accurate, and I've never needed more than 8 shots to accomplish what I wanted to do.

355sigfan
March 28, 2002, 09:42 PM
The M1A is obsolete its fun to shoot as is any good rifle but if the rifle is going to be used for a serious use then get something better. The M1A has some limited uses but for the most part it too is obsolete. get a Car 15 unless you need to snipe then get an AR10.
PAT

Kaylee
March 28, 2002, 10:08 PM
The M1A is obsolete

Which is why they've been deployed in Somalia, Afganistan, and God knows how many other third world mudholes Uncle Sam keeps getting his boys into, eh?

:D

-K

BamBam-31
March 28, 2002, 11:08 PM
The M1A is obsolete

Kinda like how 1911's are obsolete? :D

Every weapon has its pros and cons. I wouldn't go so far as to call one obsolete, unless we're talking sticks and stones (limited range, extra ammo heavy).

Wasn't there something on the History Channel recently about how Afgan fighters armed with "obsolete" Enfields successfully held off Russians armed with more modern AK's?

355sigfan
March 29, 2002, 01:52 AM
Kinda like how 1911's are obsolete?
END

Yep just like that.
Actually 1911's are good guns and they have been modernized the M1 has not. Unless you cound the M1A as a M1. The M1 is not the best choice anymore.
PAT

BamBam-31
March 29, 2002, 05:33 AM
With all due respect, a few points:

-I think Fatelvis was asking for a comparison of shooting and handling characteristics between the Garand and the M1A/M-14, not whether or not the rifles were obsolete.

-Yes, the M1A/M-14 is the modernized version of the Garand. As such, it is a better choice for our soldiers. Lighter, more ammo, detach mag, etc. Same goes for ARs and M-16s. However, just because the Garand isn't the "best" choice (best for what?) doesn't mean that it's obsolete. Again, Afghans armed with Enfields managed to do plenty of damage.

-Not as familiar with 1911's as I'd like to be, but I don't think the design has been modernized very much. I think most 1911 fans would say that Colt got it right the first time.

JMHO. I'm still new to firearms and all, so I could be mistaken. Sure do like my Garand, though, for all of the reasons posted earlier. :D

Ceol Mhor
March 29, 2002, 08:50 AM
If you don't want it, I'll take your Garand, 355sigfan....it'd make a great match for my equally-old Sistema 1911! :cool:

RickB
March 29, 2002, 03:57 PM
How can you prefer a rifle that was immediatley replaced (M-14/M-1A) over one that was so good, it remained in front line use for over fifteen years? Just stirring the pot.
I had to make the choice, and got an M1. The M-1A might be more stylish, and the 7.62x51 might be more practical, but how can you say no to the "greatest battle implement ever devised"? I already have an '03 and a Carbine, so an M1 seems the perfect complement.

KSFreeman
March 29, 2002, 04:13 PM
As my brother said, "PING"=target identifier (here I am out of ammo). A very small concern, btw, afterall, you just made 8 loud noise and a bunch of flash.

All weapons have pluses and minuses. The en bloc clip of the M1 is its huge minus.

I'll take the M-14/M1A. I am not infatuated with a weapon I cannot tac reload. Manual of arms easier as well, especially speed reload (no looking down). Small points--YMMV.

Kaylee
March 29, 2002, 04:15 PM
How can you prefer a rifle that was immediatley replaced (M-14/M-1A) over one that was so good, it remained in front line use for over fifteen years?

Easy, 'cause the requirements (and internal polictics) of the US Military of the mid-60's aren't the same requirements I as a private citizen have in 2002.

From a TECHNICAL standpoint, I think the gas system of the M14, lighter weight, synthetic stock, and attempt at a scope mounting system make the M14 a superior weapon. Of course, you can argue the enbloc clip/detatchable magazine issue all day -- advantages and disadvantages both ways.

That said..my PERSONAL choice is the M14 series-- it meets my needs better. But the M1 has a style, grace, and history to it that the M14 will never match, I don't think. .. one of these days I might want to see about picking one up.

-K