PDA

View Full Version : Backup knife?

LASur5r+P
March 24, 2002, 08:20 AM
As a backup to your CCW, how many of would carry a knife?

And if you do decide to carry a knife, would you prefer a folder or a fixed blade? and which (model) one would you carry ?

Eric Larsen
March 24, 2002, 09:21 AM
I ALWAYS carry a b/a knife. Either an easily accessable fixed blade or a folder that is a true one handed opener. I have a
"neck knife" in a kydex holder and many one handed knives.
My daily carry is a Kershaw Ken Onion "assisted opening" folder..
the closest thing to a legal carry switch blade as you will ever find.
Great quality and reasonable price. Lots of wonderful knifes out there....Cold Steel, Kershaw, Benchmade...etc.
Shoot/knife well

Coronach
March 24, 2002, 12:20 PM
Always carry a knife. The chances of you having to use it for defense are minimal, but still possible. You can also use it to cut things for more mundane purposes (but make sure it stays sharp).

Mike

PS Ditto the fixed blade or true one-handed opener. Buy quality, if you do it will outlive you.

Tamara
March 24, 2002, 12:36 PM
...carry two knives. They're not really for backup of my CCW, though; that's what my backup gun is for. ;)

Vern Brink
March 24, 2002, 03:18 PM
Almost always. I like Microtech, but I have a few Benchmades also. My latest for work is an MOD CQD Mark I - after cutting a seatbelt one night I realized a regular knife could easily accidently poke someone in the neck. Oops.

I like folders, but you have to be able to access/open them w/either hand. They're just all around great utility tools.

Sierra1
March 24, 2002, 08:53 PM
Mr. Larsen and I carry the same blade! The Ken Onion designed Kershaw blade with torsion assist is the best folder I own.

BamBam-31
March 25, 2002, 04:41 AM
Always have my Benchmade AFCK with me. Always. And a Swiss Army Knife for when things really get ugly.

KSFreeman
March 25, 2002, 07:22 AM
Kung, is that the SAK with the spork? Didn't think those were allowed in the PRK.

Not a knife guy. However, every knife class I've taken, the instructors have stressed the importance of having more than one. As Uncle Walt sez, a knife never jams and never runs out of ammo.

Hemicuda
March 25, 2002, 08:45 AM
I always carry a knife... but it isn't backup...

an old freind of my fathers, a well trained (in the streets of Mexico) knife fighter (had to, to survive as a kid) taught me years ago that only an idiot would use a knife to fight unless they are well trained in it's use...

he then taught me some basics... I still don't feel confident to use one against an armed attacker... my knives are tools for cutting, and therefore are workhorse types...

a Gerber Gator-mate for when I'm dressed for work...

a full size Gerber Gator on weekends...

and a Buck 110 FG lockback for hun ting season...

ands usually a Leatherman and Leatherman Micra for good measure...

scotjute
March 25, 2002, 09:33 AM
when I carry the legally allowed knife here in Texas (5 1/2") fixed blade length is allowed. I'll carry a 5 1/4" Remington sheath knife.
If I did have ccw, would only carry one pistol, and hence
would still be carrying the sheath knife.
Often carry a folding knife when going into town as it is
legal and easier to carry.

Mannlicher
March 25, 2002, 10:19 PM
I often carry a Cold Steel Tanto, with the 6 inch blade. It conceals as good as a handgun, under a open shirt worn over a tee shirt. I do not trust folders for serious work. Fixed blade only for me

BamBam-31
March 26, 2002, 01:21 AM
Hey KSFreeman.

Nah, no spork, unfortunately, but I do have the corkscrew with the eyeglasses screwdriver insert in it.

Do not mess!! :D

pdmoderator
March 26, 2002, 01:52 AM
Funny you should ask... trying to decide between the Spyderco "Massad Ayoob" and the Emerson Commander.

The McGreasy State is to CCW as the Taliban was to women's lib. So I suppose it'll be a backup to my Swiss Army "Tinker." :D

- pdmoderator

Christopher II
March 26, 2002, 09:33 AM
I like knives, for everything except fighting. Bad guy with knife = liberal application of the Receding Foot kata.

On the other hand, knives are good for cutting and poking things, so's I carry a few. Folder right now (along with two Leatherman tools,) but I'm looking into a concealment sheath for my small fixed-blade. Fixed-blade knives are just so much more useful than folders, I'll put up with the hassle of carrying one (or more.)

- Chris

pdmoderator
March 26, 2002, 09:39 AM
I like knives, for everything except fighting. Bad guy with knife = liberal application of the Receding Foot kata.Hey, when it comes to any kind of threat to my life, I am definitely a star student of the Flashman School of Gluteus Maximus Preservation. Winning is surviving, and the more discretion, the more valor.

However, if my arse is backed into a corner... winning is surviving.

- pdmoderator

Coronach
March 26, 2002, 10:46 AM
The receding foot kata?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

OMG, that is funny. Possibly very old, but I've never heard it before. Bwahahahaha!

Mike

leadbutt
March 26, 2002, 02:50 PM
Always carry one in addition to the firearm,most times its my Balisong weehawk,if hunting then it changes

Matt Wallis
March 26, 2002, 02:57 PM
In Renaissance martial arts we call that one, "Cobb's Traverse." A very secret move that is nearly undefeatable. 'Less the other guy's faster, that is. :D

Matt

Mike11b
March 27, 2002, 11:52 AM
I carry a Benchmade ATS-34, one of 1000 preproduction knives developed by Elishewitz. I don't consider it a "back-up" to my Kimber, instead it's an "incremental response" to a threat. I've taken two knife related defense courses, and it affords me the ability of addressing the threat in stages. There are times where i can not carry my pistol (i.e. I travel for business....some states are not as progressive as others), and I feel comfortable with just the Benchmade. IMHO, having a knife (or gun) doesn't mean that you are qualified to use it to protect yourself or others. Find a good course, and take it.......aagain my opinion only.

jar
March 28, 2002, 07:47 PM
Always carry at least one that can be used as a tactical knife. For folders it is usually my Don Greenaway, a large #4 folder from Kit Carson or the MAXI from Peter Marker.

http://www.fototime.com/C62037C6B5180D7/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D28C8644851DE99/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/5D24EE1ADB8D8DC/standard.jpg

When possible I carry my Dress Tactical from Terry Primos.

http://www.fototime.com/57DA9E0E87552D2/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/524D582A8AF9FA7/standard.jpg

Texas2NC
March 28, 2002, 07:53 PM
I have had one of the original Benchmade Emerson CQC7 folders since they came out. Scratched up, the smallest bit of the tip busted off....still holds an edge forever ...

I wouldn't trade it for anything....