PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Wife wants 22

ttowntoehead
March 23, 2002, 08:06 AM
My wife has decided guns might be fun but she'll lose interest if she can't hit anything. Need advice on Ruger 22/45 or SW 22a or Buckmark 22. Which is more accurate/reliable. Thanks

Tropical Z
March 23, 2002, 08:31 AM
And if anyone knows,several days ago i was comparing the Buckmark camper (?) to the Ruger MKII for a super durable .22lr and the Buckmark appeared to be mostly cast while the Ruger looked to be milled.Is this correct?:confused:

schild
March 23, 2002, 08:32 AM
I got my wife the Ruger MkII a few years ago, she shoots it when she gets "tired" of 9mm and .45. It was cheap($235)and there have been no problems in 3000-4000 rounds. She shot a CZ Kadet and liked it so I'm going to get her a CZ85 w/kadet conversion.

Byron Adams
March 23, 2002, 08:51 AM
My wife choose the Buckmark Micro. She likes the lightness and accuracy. I had to get her the Buckmark Sporter Rifle as she liked her pistol so much.

Ala Dan
March 23, 2002, 09:13 AM
I must recommend Ruger's KMK-512; it's the bull
barreled 5-1/2" model in stainless construction.
Amazingly accurate, straight from the box.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Edward429451
March 23, 2002, 09:18 AM
We've got the Ruger MK-512, 5.5" bull barrel

Amazingly accurate, right from the box!

Fun gun.

tonyz
March 23, 2002, 09:44 AM
I also would go with the Ruger, but I would recommened the KP-512 in the 22/45 or the KMK-512 in the standard grip.
Stay away from the *&* 22A or 22s. I bought my wife the 22S. IMHO very poor design of the action. It went back to the factory 3 times. I still don't like it. But since its LNIB and I paid very little for it, it will stay in my safe for now.

Tony
Here is my Favorite

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=20254295&photoID=20254488&security=SFVcNVbczz

Russ
March 23, 2002, 09:55 AM
TopicalZ,

Alot of the Buckmark is likely cast because the frame and top sight strap are aluminum. the MKII, at least the one I have, is steel.

ttowntoehead
March 23, 2002, 10:46 AM
Whats the difference in the 2 Rugers you mentioned?

Ron L
March 23, 2002, 12:10 PM
I've never worked with the Buckmark very much, but I liked the heft and feel of the Ruger MK-512 and have never regretted my decision. I've owned this gun for over 15 years and I think I may have had less than a handfull of failures and those were with a gun that was so nasty dirty after a hard day's shooting, it wasn't even funny.

ttowntoehead
March 23, 2002, 12:15 PM
Looks like Ruger is the way to go. She's looking at the KMK 678C. Does the MKII have the same grip radius as the 22/45. I know the angle is different but how about grip size since she has small hands?

cratz2
March 23, 2002, 02:51 PM
I'd have to put in another vote for either of the Rugers.

I have a 22A (went back to the factory once) and have owned a basic Buckmark and currently own a Buckmark Bullseye. Very nice, solid, weighty guns. But for the price, the 22/45 is impossible to beat, in my opinion.

ttowntoehead
March 23, 2002, 03:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your input....looks like she decided on the KMK 512C. I think this will make her a happy camper. I got her to shoot a 22lr revolver yesterday and that was the first time she has shot a gun in her life and she's 50! She wouldn't get near my 40's and 45's so I think this will peak her interest. Again Thanks

larryw
March 23, 2002, 03:32 PM
I strongly recommend the Ruger. Gun is super accurate and very durable. I have over 20K rounds through mine (KMK 512) and there is no sign of wear or loss of accuracy. I've changed the recoil spring and guide rod assembly ($5) as my only use-related replacements. Will feed anything I give it.

Stories of how difficult these are to field strip are WAY overblown. It is tricky the first time, but after that it's a breeze. Tip: add a small paperclip to your cleaing kit; you'll understand when you start to break one down. :)

Ruger's customer service is second to none, if it breaks or doesn't work as YOU expect it to (as opposed to some bean counter's opinion on how it should work), they will fix it; they even pick up the shipping charges

I recommend you have your wife try out the different models. My Ruger is the 5 1/2" bull barrel and it is too nose heavy for my wife to shoot properly (she shoots a USP45C). If I were to do it again, I'd buy the standard model so she could enjoy it as much as I do.

Ruger also makes a model they call the 22/45 that has the same feel and controls as a 1911, so that may be an option to consider.

priv8ter
March 23, 2002, 04:54 PM
I just went through this a few months ago for my wife. I was not very impressed buy the Buckmark. I went with the normal Ruger Mark II, with the 6 7/8 inch target barrel. I really wish we had gone with the 22/45. We live and we learn.

ttowntoehead
March 23, 2002, 05:38 PM
Why do you wish you had gone with the 22/45. Is it the lighter weight or ergonomics? Or did she not like the MKII?