PDA

View Full Version : P99 price and quality?? Please help.

shane2
March 23, 2002, 12:23 AM
I have been looking at the P99 for quite a while and I like the way it feels in my hand. My local dealer has one for $549.99. The slide is marked Springfield, Mass. It has German proof marks on the slide and barrel though. So, my question is: is this a good pistol and how is the price?

I am hoping to purchase tomorrow, if it is a good deal.

Thanks,

shane

karstho
March 23, 2002, 12:49 AM
Excellent Pistol... You wont be Sorry.

BTW... Price is good too considering I paid over $600.00 for mine a few months back.

Good luck on your new purchase

Rovert
March 23, 2002, 01:08 AM
Shane, the Walther P99 is a fantastic weapon. Top shelf quality, utterly reliable, ranking solidly in the 'I can trust my life to this gun' category given not a single hiccup in over 2400 rounds, superior ergonomics and control placement, many 'value-added' features, and with the recent price adjustment, an awesome deal. I paid $650 for mine about four months (2400+ rounds) ago. Not much else you could ever ask for in a gun.

Yes, there are a great many super guns in the upper-midrange of production line products you're looking for, but none better, many not even close.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy one in each color. :D

P-99er
March 23, 2002, 01:30 AM
They are really nice. A dream to shoot. These older generation units have the bugs corrected and are really nice.

I have never had a failure of any kind that I did not intentionally cause for training purposes. Getting up close to 20k rounds on 1, 12k on the other and 7k on the youngest.

But according to Sigfan, I have been really lucky. I imagine you will be lucky too.

I have yet to utilize the recent drop in price, but don't regret not waiting.

Welcome aboard.

notbubba
March 23, 2002, 04:14 AM
Some people seem to like the p99:confused:

I don't know why.
I listened the all the hype and made the mistake of buying one.
:barf:

schild
March 23, 2002, 07:12 AM
If you search this site you'll find most P99 owners love them, and a few hate 'em. I'm in the first group, mine is a 9mm, but I don't think I'd buy a .40.

JMC
March 23, 2002, 07:19 AM
shane2,

The $549.99 you were quoted is a good price but if you check Gunsamerica.com (http://www.gunsamerica.com), you will find them for $489. + shipping to an FFL from Gulfstream Sports.

The P99 is an excellent pistol capable of fine accuracy and reliability in either 9mmx19 or .40S&W. :D

Catbird
March 23, 2002, 09:15 AM
I've had my "all German" P99, 9mm for about 6 weeks and I love it. I have tried all kinds of ammo, including my reloads and the hot Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+; performance was totally flawless with everything.

I paid $489 (plus $15 shipping) for mine, but I see that www.docswalthers.com lists them for $469. The last local gun show I attended had them for $499.

kidd
March 23, 2002, 09:23 AM
got mine from Gulfstream sport , call Val Shanahan he'll hook you up
for $489+ $15 shipping to your FFL. it may or may not help considering
you have to pay DROS so it might be the same as the price you have now.
it's a good solid gun , it's up there with the rest. for the price its a
good buy for a quality firearm , i wouldn't pay more than the reduced price
otherwise i would go with an HK or a custom 1911.
my 2 cents.
kidd

AndABeer
March 23, 2002, 11:01 AM
Paid 500 for mine. Has yet to jam with good ammo. Fairly accurate. Phenominal trigger reset. I might carry it if I didn't have a better pistol (for me).

lunde
March 23, 2002, 11:15 AM
I have a pair of P99s, both being the "Military" version with an olive-drab frame, with one in .40 Auto and the other in 9mm. My .40 Auto one is broken in, and now has a very smooth trigger. My 9mm one is still being broken in. No malfunctions with either, and they as high quality as you can get.

Big Iron
March 23, 2002, 11:59 AM
FWIW, I have two, one in 9mm and one in .40. I have never had a problem with either. They are as accurate as whoever is shooting them. They feel absolutely perfect in my hand. My wife loves to shoot them too. My brother-in-law, who is not a pistol person, shoot the 9mm and now he is wanting one. I feel they are as fine a pistol as you can get. The only acception to that might be my P88c. I got all of mine NIB for under $500.

You won't be sorry, just be sure it's not a S&W Walther.

NMGlocker
March 23, 2002, 12:24 PM
ditto.....the majority!
My P99 9mm Military, has been perfect.
$500 is the going price around here.
:D

lunde
March 23, 2002, 12:38 PM
Say, has anyone else noticed the "Titanium Coated" P99 at the Walther (in Germany) web site? See: http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/defense/defense-36.html

It's either a replacement for the QPQ version, or else creative remarketing of the QPQ version. The photo on the web site (after clicking the photo) seems to indicate "Titanium Coated" engraved on the slide. The photo is not clear enough to distinguish this. I have sent inquiries to Earl's and Walther (in Germany).

schild
March 23, 2002, 02:26 PM
If you get the gun from Earl(www.carlwalther.com) you can order it with 16 round mags instead of ten and save a little money on the hi-caps.

P-99er
March 23, 2002, 02:37 PM
The new lower price just arrived in my area. I saw an ad in today's paper: German made P-99 in 9mm and .40 - $499

shane2
March 23, 2002, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to my local shop this morning and bought one. It is a few bucks more than what I can do on line but I don't mind supporting the local shops.

The Walther looks great and feels great in my hand. I would like to put a set of night sights on it. Does anyone know where I can get a set at a decent price?

Thanks again,

Chris

lunde
March 23, 2002, 03:53 PM
JMC reviewed the night sight options for the P99, and it seems that the best value are the Meprolights at $65 a set from Arizona Gun Runners. See: http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/

JMC's review is here: http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000117

P-99er
March 23, 2002, 04:50 PM
I put some Mepro night sights on mine and hated them. Of course, like everything, it is personal preference. The diffence in the Walther stock sights and the Mepro screwed my accuracy. The bad thing was I put them on before a class and didn't get a chance to acclimate to them.

The things I didn't like about the Mepro, again personal preference, were that they have a higher profile and there is more slack in the sight picture. There is more space on both sides of the front sight, in the sight picture, than with the Walther sights. That really screwed me up, it may not affect you.

Get your night sights on it before you shoot a lot, then you can acclimate to them better. It took a while for me to get used to them, then I got another set that was tighter in the sight picture.

Catbird
March 24, 2002, 09:28 AM
P-99er wrote....

The things I didn't like about the Mepro, again personal preference, were that they have a higher profile and there is more slack in the sight picture. There is more space on both sides of the front sight, in the sight picture, than with the Walther sights.
You are absolutely right; it is personal preference. While I prefer the aesthetics of the factory sights appearance-wise, the fact that "there is more space on both sides of the front sight", helps my sight picture a great deal. I find that the Meps are bigger & bolder which enhances my accuracy with my P99. Needless to say, I'm happy with mine.

JMC
March 24, 2002, 09:46 AM
I think we have to keep in mind the primary mission for a handgun such as the P99.
It's not a bullseye gun intended for precision shooting, it's a combat pistol that will be brought into action and used in a rather short period of time in most cases.
Even though I have yet to fire my P99's that most recently got the night sight treatment, the sights themselves are really no different from many other sets that I have used on various combat type pistols. Glocks are the first to come to mind.
These sights have given a proper sight picture for the intended use, a humanoid silhouette type target.
The set I have on my .40S&W P99 from Earl's is good enough to take head shots at 25 yds. with 100% results. It will also cut the "X" ring out of a B-27 target.
That's all I require from a pistol of this type and it's sights.
I guess one could say that's my personal preference. :D :D :D