PDA

View Full Version : EAA Witness Tactical .45 Cal Slide Cracked!!

A&Ptech
March 21, 2002, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone, Just wanted to post pics of my Witness Tactical in .45 cal. I purchased this back in 97 and havent fired it much, so I decided to take it to the range yesterday and half way thru my third magazine , the slide stopped and didnt feed the new round after a closer look the slide had cracked at the bottom fo the ejection port just ahead of the ejector. It is cracked thru the frame rail. I have probably put about 800 rds thru it since 97, all new commerical brands ie,federal, pmp, winchester ect. I was using winchester at the time. I had to use a rubber mallet to move the slide enough to take it apart and back together.There is no other damage to the pistol that I can see. I am going to send it to EAA, I have read accounts about their customer service so wish me luck!
Thanks!

A&Ptech
March 21, 2002, 12:08 PM
pistol

A&Ptech
March 21, 2002, 12:11 PM
Slide

Peter M. Eick
March 21, 2002, 03:40 PM
Well call EAA and get another slide on the way. They will replace it for free. Sorry it happened though.

BigMike
March 21, 2002, 06:57 PM
Of all the many criticisms, I've heard this the most, regarding pistol failure, that the slide will crack exactly where your's did. I have the full size .45 in the blue finish, and mine has done 1200+rounds and has not had one hiccup, FTE, FTF, etc. I put the walnut grips on it and it really slimmed the grip down quite a bit.

I agree that EAA should replace the slide, for free, immediately. My dealings with EAA's customer service when I've had questions has been not the greatest. I sincerely hope they take care of you and soon.

Let us know!

Mike

blades67
March 21, 2002, 08:23 PM
Good luck with that.

stans
March 22, 2002, 07:47 AM
So, if this is a regular occurrence with the 45 ACP Witness, what is happening to the 40 S&W and 10mm versions? I would think the problem would be even worse, especially with the 10mm!!

KP95DAO
March 22, 2002, 11:49 PM
I had the same thing happen to my Witness 45 Wonder finish. They tried to lay it to hot loads. That was a no-go.

After they replaced the slide with a crappy one with all sorts of tool marks I sent it back to get that replaced.

Then about a year later the frame cracked from the hole the safety goes through along the rail cut to the back of the frame.
They replaced the frame with a frame that was originally on a 38 Super.

Ever since then I shoot only 200 gr lead SWC at about 875 fps. It is a tack driver with absolutely no play between the slide and frame. Also the slide they put on it the last time was the target slide with adjustable sights instead of the fixed as I bought it. But then I was pretty pissed off at that point and they knew it.

I used to reccommend Witnesses but don't anymore. However, I was at the gunshop and they had a 40 that felt real sweet. Good thing I already have my Glock 32 with FAC 40 bbl.

A&Ptech
August 26, 2002, 03:00 PM
Well I finally got around to sending my pistol to EAA last monday and I got it today (mon 08/26/02) They replaced the slide and barrel, looks great and shoot great, Also I was impressed with the fast service!:D
George

caz223
August 26, 2002, 05:57 PM
Wow.
Good service from EAA.
People need to hear about this when it actually happens.

Tropical Z
August 27, 2002, 01:03 AM
EAA's customer service is fine,and the only gun company that answers e-mail quicker is Hi-Point.;)

BigMike
August 27, 2002, 01:48 AM
I remember the post. I am happy for you, and also suprised at the quick service.

Mike