PDA

View Full Version : Help me with buying a used rifle?

Tol
March 21, 2002, 02:19 AM
I found this advirtisement and got quite interested.
I was hoping you guys might be able to help me figure out what questions to ask to make sure I will get a good bench rifle that'll do double duty as an elk rifle.

here it is
-----------------------------------
For sale Remington 700 Sendero in 300Win Mag.
This rifle is in excellent condition, with less than 20 rnds through it,Comes with a 26in Fluted BBL, H&S Precision Stock fully pilar bedded.Leupold two piece Rev bases,Leupold standard rings, Trigger job by AL Sieqrist.This rifle is in the Black matt finnnish no Longer available.Asking $600.00 delivered.
------------------------------------

The seller is very new to the board (6 posts) and has his email address blocked. I sent off a private message asking for a slew of info and pics for the rifle.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Questions to ask? Things to check? Is this a good deal? Anything here I might not be catching as a newby to the world of rifles? Please keep in mind that I know very little about bench rest rifles so you can't go wrong by assuming I don't know the basics.

Thank you in advance for any help on this and all of the previous help on other things.
Tol :)

WilderBill
March 21, 2002, 09:04 AM
It sounds like a good quality rifle at a decent price.
.300 WinMag will be fine for Elk and should be accuarate enough for bench rest, but I suspect if you are going to spend all day shooting targets the recoil will get pretty old, pretty fast.

Art Eatman
March 21, 2002, 09:15 AM
The Sendero is a fairly heavy rifle, so that helps in toning down recoil. There is no shame whatsoever in using extra padding when shooting from a benchrest.

Art

ms1200
March 22, 2002, 11:42 PM
i have a sendero in .300mag with the unfluted barrel.it is one of my favorite rifles.very accurate & a joy to shoot. it is a fairly heavy wich dampens recoil at the bench, but for packing in rough back country all day hunting elk, i myself prefer a lighter weight rifle. all in all i think you would like the sendero. i know i'll never part with mine.