PDA

View Full Version : .17 HMR.....Anyone touched the marlin yet???

dw
March 18, 2002, 10:08 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has been able to get their hands on one. Mine has been on order for about a month and a half and i am still waiting. Also i was talking to a gun dealer who claimed that if i shot this cartridge in the rain and it hit a rain drop the bullet would expand before reaching the target. Is there any truth to this claim. Thanks for you time
dw

mark454
March 19, 2002, 12:19 AM
I called my local Marlin dealer about a 17VS.He replied that they are on backorder,and had no idea on availability or price.What price were you quoted?I haven't heard about the rain drop claim,until I read your post.
Mark454 :)

dZ
March 19, 2002, 12:55 AM
i doubt the gun dealer knows much about ballistic expansion

it sounds like GunShop BS
17 grains moving at 2000 fps is going to move the rain drop
there is not enough mass in the raindrop to make the bullet expand

sure it might be deflected and not very accurate in heavy rain at 100 yards
nor will it work very well in the midst of a volcanic eruption

Commander Fan
March 19, 2002, 01:49 AM
Wow! I finally found some positive posts on the .17 mag rimfire. I also have plans on purchasing one of these barrels.

I think the reason so many posters at talk.shooters.com are putting them done, is because they don't understand what the term "small varmint" means. In my area, the roadsides are covered with rodents we call "Stripe 'Ed gophers" or ground squirrels. I couldn't think of a better way of dispatching these critters. Also, every few years the Chipmunks become overpopulated, filling up grain-bins, sheds, car electrical systems, etc. The .17 mag rimfire would also be a good choice here.

With the ground squirrels, I sometimes find an old straw round-bale and pick them off for an hour with a .22rimfire. The ranges are anywhere from 50 to 250 yds. I think the .17 would provide a much flatter trajectory in this case, with pleanty of energy for the 8-12oz animals. Many of the local bars sponser yearly hunts for these animals. They usually last 5 hours, and the 2-person team with the most kills wins the prize money. The last time it was held, two women won with around 175. The team with the least kills must dispose of the trunkloads of carcases.:( It's held as a 'jackpot' event, with every team putting $20 into the pot.

I've read that some of the prototype ammunition is reaching 2,400-2,600 fps now. We'll have to see what happens. I know Varner will be offering the .17 in their Stevens Favorite, and I plan on getting one of these barrel assemblies for mine.

dw
March 19, 2002, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I was quoted a price of 160 dealer cost which mean i pay 10 percent over that. So aproximately 176 is what i was quoted for the blued version of the marlin. Thanks again
dw

makarov
March 21, 2002, 12:16 AM
160 squirrels. You might win enough to pay for the overpriced ammo... Unless the ammo gets cheaper and there is more than one manufacturer, I'll keep waiting. Early adopters are sometimes on the "bleeding edge of technology."

- Makarov

dw
March 21, 2002, 10:50 AM
Here is a link that sells this ammo and i don't find it that expensive. No more than .22 mag ammunition anyway. Only 7.69 for a 50rd. box. thanks for all the response.
dw

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000383170

Kobra
March 21, 2002, 01:02 PM
When Ruger decides to produce a 10/22 (or would it be called a 10/17?) in this round I'll buy one. Right now I have no interest in any of the guns that are currently marketed.