PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a gun!

Waffen
March 18, 2002, 09:24 PM
Hey guys, I have a few quick questions that I need answered. I have decieded to pick up a new rifle. I decided on .223 because of power/velocity of bullet and the price. I plan to coon/rabbit/skunk/coyote/fox hunt with it (.22's just don't have enought pop anymore) This gun will need to be extremly durable and deacently accurate. I was thinking possible a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle with Synthetic Stock and a stainless barrel. Can this gun do like 2 MOA at 50 yards? I hesisitate from AR's because of the price and from the ones I have seen require a lot of mantience. I am looking for a no bull**** .223 so please help me out. I plan to buy on Wed.

Also what scope should I use on this gun. I need to clearly see the crosshairs at anywhere from 10-300 yards. I am also looking to spend under $200 on the scope, so any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks
Mike McCasland

Art Eatman
March 18, 2002, 09:40 PM
For a varmint-hunting critter, the Mini will work okay. It commonly will get a three-shot group within 2 MOA. Long strings of fire heat the barrel and the groups open up, but that won't be a factor on coyotes and such.

I always used a Weaver K4 on mine. (I've had four; two stainless, two blued. Wood stocks. Never did any "accurizing".)

I mostly used 50- to 55-grain loads.

Some of the folks here can suggest any of the cheaper bulk ammo that's clean burning; some's better than others. Dunno if you reload, but what you say you'll do, regular factory ammo will do just fine.

FWIW, Art

rugerfreak
March 18, 2002, 09:51 PM
No flies on the Mini-14 no matter what the AR boys tell you. I have both----and BOTH are fine for practical field use---no matter what the paper punchers may say.

Cabelas has Burris 3x9x40 Fullfield II's for $199----although I'm not positive that scope will fit with the supplied rings.