PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Scope a .45-70 Marlin Lever Gun?

bernie
March 16, 2002, 10:06 AM
I had a friend ask me about how to scope his .45-70 lever action Marlin for the deer woods (dense cover, 200 yards is a long shot) and I know nothing about lever guns and how to scope them. I know absolutely nothing about .45-70! We were thinking maybe a variable power shotgun scope, but what would be the best way to mount it. He also does not want see-through scope mounts, this will be a scoped rifle, not both. Thanks for any help.

Art Eatman
March 16, 2002, 10:12 AM
If he goes with a variable, a 1.5x5 would be the most he'd need. Or, something like the Weaver K 2.5. I'd recommend going a bit upscale on the scope, since for his type of hunting the better coatings transmit more light--making those early or late shots a bit more reliable.

I've always used Weaver or Weaver-type mounts on all my rifles.

Art

Jaeger
March 16, 2002, 10:46 PM
Here is how I have mine set up. I installed an Ashley Outdoors scout mount and a Leupold Scout scope in a set of Warne QD rings. This places the 2.5X scope very low over the bore.

The scout scope allows you to sight and shoot with both eyes open. (the scope sits out over the bore, not the receiver) It's a little strange at first but becomes second nature with a little practice. It is very fast and works extremely well in the woods and other densely vegetated areas.

I also have a Wild West rear aperature sight installed in the event that I do not want to use the scope. The Warne QD rings allow me to remove and replace the scope in seconds with no loss of zero.

I highly recommend this type of setup. It is very practical and works extremely well.

Zorro
March 16, 2002, 11:28 PM
Well Really...........

A Ghost Ring and a Ivory White Dot front site!

:D

Really!

Dan in GA
March 17, 2002, 03:29 AM
I agree with Zorro. Taking a shot with a Guide Gun would be relatively short distances and would be well served with a ghost ring or peep sight kind of set up......Dan in GA

Phil in Seattle
March 17, 2002, 07:47 PM
This is the route I used on my 444. Using the Ashley scout mount you can use many rifle scopes on it as they are long enough to be positioned properly.

This is just a cheap Bushnell 3-9 that I had lying about. I use that set up for load testing.