PDA

View Full Version : H & K SL-8 question...

Redneck2
March 1, 2002, 06:02 PM
I can buy a NIB SL-8 for about $1,250-$1,300 with a Gen 1 2.3x IR night scope. I'm not real crazy about the "Star-Wars" look, but then again, I lean towards rifles that are "different"...(guess they match my personality).

Since it has "the rail", I could add a 4x16 Leo or B&L and use it for doggin', and use the IR for 'yotes at nite.

There's all kinds of posts here about various AR's, but I don't remember anything about the H & K.

Experiences and thoughts appreciated, particularly on reliability and accuracy...

bj426
March 1, 2002, 06:28 PM
with the scope, it sounds like a deal to me

M700
March 1, 2002, 10:19 PM
I'd jump on it. These usually go for about $1400 NIB without ANY optics, much less an IR scope. If you arent crazy about the looks, you can always do this to it:

http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/

Archer1440
March 2, 2002, 12:59 PM
$1100 is the 'real' going rate for SL8's these days. I got mine for $1060 in a sealed HK box.

By the way, you can put literally thousands of rounds through an SL8 and have a very hard time telling it from a real NIB rifle. Just a heads up. The only real clue might be the gas piston, which usually ends up with some signs of heat and carbon buildup (none of which affects function). The rest of the rifle stays very clean and new looking, so check the piston before you buy to tell if it is truly "NIB". If it isn't that might be a bargaining chip.

If you haven't looked through a Gen 1 NV scope, try to do so before you buy one- some Gen 1 optics aren't all that clear or usable past 70 yards or so, even with an IR illuminator.

You could set yourself up with the 3X HK optic/carry handle, or a halfway decent Leupold scope and QRW rings, for a good portion of the price difference.

SL8 reliability is generally good. You may encounter a cracking problem in the face of the trigger pack after your first 500 rounds, related to the bolt catch channel and the mechanical action of the bolt catch when engaged. HK has been good about fixing these, but two minutes with a tiny bit of Kevlar and adhesive fixes it too.

SL8 accuracy is very good with apporopriate ammo, it does quite well with anything from 50 to 70 grain projectiles, and can hold right around MOA or sometimes better out to reasonable distances (300 yards) with match ammo and a decent scope.

Because of the fast 1 in 7 twist, lighter bullets may come apart, and due to their design, heavier ones may not feed reliably.

I'm one of the odd people who likes the grey furniture just fine. Black weapons are common enough.