PDA

View Full Version : Useless Steyr M40 Info

Rhino48
March 1, 2002, 12:30 PM
Learned some things about my Steyr M40.

1. Loaded cartridge indicator IS held in by rear sight. The LCI pin has a slot to clear the rear sight dovetail. Mystery solved - hammer sight out, LCI comes out.

2. Compared barrel to Glock 23. Breech walls are about .015-.020 thicker thank glock (I know, I should have measured.) Also, the Glock Barrel is WAY throated in comparison, like to the tune of about .080 more exposed case - again, an estimation. Dont get me wrong, I love my Glock 19, and it's probably the last gun I would give up. The particular G23 I compared it to has fired some of the nastiest .40 round the owner could dream up, so I cant say if it's a serious issue, but it IS really hard on the brass. Some of the brass he's given me chamber really hard in my Steyr after resizing, and they display a substantial bulge at the case head end (of course I quit using them).

ryucasta
March 1, 2002, 12:51 PM
I currently use Lee Carbide Resizing dies in 40S&W and 9mm Luger on my 650’s to remove the bulge with no problems to date.

Handy
March 1, 2002, 04:23 PM
Removing the bulge does not re-strengthen the case web. It weakens it further due to work hardening.

Boom.