PDA

View Full Version : TETRA Grease for M1A & M1 Garand

wdigeorge
February 28, 2002, 07:41 PM
I just recently purchased a M1A and a M1 Garand and heard that the Tetra is the best gun grease to use. Where is the best place to buy this stuff? Does it really work that well?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

George

JRiggs
February 28, 2002, 08:00 PM
Fulton Armory has it. www.fultonarmory.com

Yes, your M1A will like it, as will your M-1. Honestly though I use a good automotive grease on my M1A and it works just as well. Not to mention it will cost you a fraction as much and you get a great deal more grease.
Just something for you to consider.

wdigeorge
February 28, 2002, 08:08 PM
What kind of automotive grease do you use?

Hey, you know something? I have a bottle of this DURA LUBE "advance all purchose lubraicant" that came w/ my dura lube package a while ago. I never used it untile recently. I read the bottle and it says for "firearms" too. So I tried it on a metal rod that is pretty rusted and it cleaned the rust completely off and looks brand new. I wonder if I can use this stuff on my guns. I know it is not grease (not planning on using it on my M1A or Garand) but can I use it on my handguns?

Anybody have experience using this Dura Lube stuff?

George

JRiggs
February 28, 2002, 08:17 PM
wdigeorge:

I use a general purpose automotive grease. It's called moly something, cant remember off hand. But really any will work. Just be sure it doesnt contain any abrasives.
Anything that states General Purpose or Muliti Purpose Auto Grease will be fine for your rifles. I've heard a lot of vets say they would use whatever they found in the motorpool at the time!

As far as Dura Lube goes, I really have no experience with it. I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

-Yo-
March 1, 2002, 01:55 PM
I just use white lithium grease. Got a tub from Pep Boys for $2.50. I think it works better than Tetra because it doesn't separate and seems to stay in place better.

I've heard the latest Tetra formula doesn't separate as much, but I still haven't found anything that Tetra does better than lesser priced equivalents.

Khornet
March 1, 2002, 03:40 PM
I have a big tube (2 lb) of stiff greenish Texaco grease which is used for chainsaws and general automotive purposes. Works great for my M1, enough for a lifetime. Don't bother with expensive greases that come in a little 2 oz. tube for $5, unless it makes you feel good. On your rifle, that is.

scottsw1
March 1, 2002, 05:00 PM
I just use Lubriplate on my M1 that I bought from Brownells. Lubriplate is what was originally specified for the M1. You could also use surplus Plastilube that Tapco sells in the small pots to fit in the buttstock, Tapco has 144 pots for $10.00. Brownells sell Lubriplate in a big can for $6.00 and one can will probably last a lifetime.

Lmccrock
March 3, 2002, 09:48 AM
-Yo-

When did you get your Tetra grease that separated? I bought a tube about 4 years ago, it is almost empty, and has not separated yet. Now, the Tetra oil separates, and my CLP separates, but a few good shake takes care of that. By the way, Tetra grease for the M1, CLP for the Bushmaster, oil for pretty much everything else.

Lee

wdigeorge
March 17, 2002, 05:25 PM
scottsw1,

Are you sure that Tapco sells the Plastilube in the case? I saw it on their website and can not find out what kind of grease it is. I even called and the guy I spoke to had no idea.

Are "surplus" plastilube any good? Do they expire? I love to get some. I already got a little "sample" kit from Tetra, but I doubt that little squeeze bottle is going to last me long.

Rome
March 18, 2002, 05:50 PM
Actually, about two years ago, I discovered Militec which is an accepted weapons grade synthetic based metal conditioner. I use it in all my semi-auto milsurps with perfect results. Yes, the old rifles were designed around grease in the channels. The problem with grease is that 1) it's really sloppy, and 2) it attracts all kinds of debris. Militec does none of that and works better than original grease lubes. Do a "google.com" search on Militec and you'll find all kinds of info about it.

Look, my whole collecting hobby is based on authentic military semi-auto rifles. I've got an investment in what I've collected. I'd only want to ensure that my rifles will be around tomorrow so I want to lube them properly. The way Militec works in these old beasties is amazing. You'll actually get higher muzzle velocities with this stuff. And, cleaning up afteward is a lot easier.

Look it over. The US Military uses it now and that's good enough for me. I use it in every military weapon I own and also in my civilian pistols, too. And no, I don't work for them or have any stake in their product. I just like using something that works and like sharing the info with my fellow shooters.

Rome