PDA

View Full Version : Fix My Mauser!!

ronin308
February 28, 2002, 09:43 AM
I have a mauser based scout rifle that has a feeding problem. It is chambered in .308. The problem is that the rim of the cartridge will sometimes not get under the claw and will cause it not to feed. The claw will basically push the cartridge into the chamber and then the bolt will not close. The problem happens only about 60-70% of the time. Should I try to mess with the magazine follower or should I trim some steel off the claw? Or what else?

Dan

stuckatwork
February 28, 2002, 10:38 AM
How long have you had this rifle? Is it a Mauser 98 or 96 remake or new factory type?

If the rifle is a Mauser inspirted action, I would not spend too much time on the magazine follower. Usually when the follower feed angles are off, you scratch the heck out of the cases or fail to feed when the bullet is jammed somewhere it should be going.

Take the bolt out and look at the lip of the retaining ring (that little half round of metal opposite the extractor)make sure that it is smooth with no digs or burrs that would prevent the cartridge base lip from sliding under it. Look for crud under there also.

The extractor could just be too tight or too loose. You should be able to place a round on the bolt face and hold it in place with the force of the extractor claw. You should also be able to turn the cartridge when in this position. It should droop about 10-15 degrees when the bolt is held horizontal. Check the condition of the claw. Everything I said about the retaining ring holds true for the extractor also.

Clemson
February 28, 2002, 05:00 PM
Ronin, if you load the cartridges at the front of the magazine box, does that change the reliability of feeding? Often mausers have trouble feeding the .308 based cartridges because they are really too short for the actions. The solution is usually to block 1/2 inch of the rear of the magazine off and either find and install a short follower or shorten the existing follower. In your case it sounds as though the cartridge may be breaking out of the rails early.

ronin308
February 28, 2002, 07:27 PM
stuckatwork- I did the test that you describes and all is go. Everything there is working fine. THANK YOU for telling me not to screw with the magazine follower! You saved me a mag follower!

Clemson- I think you win the prize for the "Fix Dan's Mauser Contest". Sorry but the prize is nothing but a hearty "Thank you!" :D Mr. Harrington, who makes the world famous CZ-52 firing pins, lives down the road from me. So I'm gonna take it to him and probably have him trim a little off my existing follower and then install a block. What should I make it out of? Harrington could probably machine it outta anything. I'm thinking aluminum. What do you think?

Background info on the rifle: I always wanted a scout rifle and I found a built-from-the-ground-up scout rifle. It was based on a Mauser 98 action, had the barrel turned from a blank, has a laminate stock, reblued, Parker Hale trigger, Leupold scout scope with German #3 reticle, and a Burris base fitted to the barrel. The guys at the shop held it because they knew I'd buy it. I got the whole thing for less than $600! I just need to correct this feed problem and throw a set of backup Ashleys on it. Thanks again guys, I wish I could buy yall a coupla beers!

Dan

ronin308
February 28, 2002, 07:31 PM
Dangit! I spent some more time playing with my rifle and some A-Zoom snap caps and its still not feeding! The forum is still open.

DeBee
March 1, 2002, 11:06 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here: The Mauser action is the perfect action for building a Scout type rifle. My version of the Mauser Scout- or more appropriately The Mauser Practical Carbine is still a work in progress...

With that statement out, I have to ask you what type of Mauser is it, and what cartridge was it originally chambered for, and did you or anyone else mess with the feed rails? Is the bolt and extractor matched to the action? If it was built from pieces and parts- a "Frankenmauser", you might have more trouble than it's worth...

Much like a DGR, a Scout type rifle should be dead reliable or replaced.