PDA

View Full Version : SA 1911 9mm parts compatibility with .45 ???

SanduneCC
February 23, 2002, 08:23 PM
Hi,
I just got a 9mm (PX9130L). Love it. Question is: are the parts compatible with the 45ACP? I know the chamber/barrel is not. What about everthing else? I need to know before buying/upgrading/repairing parts. Thank you.

Art Eatman
February 23, 2002, 09:55 PM
The slide is different because of the location of the extractor. The ejector of the 9mm sticks out further than that of the .45ACP.

You can sometimes get away with changing to .45ACP from 9mm without ejection problems. Changing to 9mm from .45ACP without changing the ejector can mean a failure to eject.

Art

John Bettendorf
February 23, 2002, 10:00 PM
Typical 9mm 1911 specific parts.

Barrel
slide
extractor
ejector
firing pin SA uses 38/9mm firing pin on 45s
slide stop
mags
recoil spring

SanduneCC
February 24, 2002, 12:00 AM
Thanks John,
Looks like the fire control/safety mechanisms inside the frame are interchangable. What about the guide rod? I'm thinking of replacing this immediately with a one-piece design.

James K
February 24, 2002, 12:07 AM
Hi, Sandune,

FWIW, I consider full length guide rods a waste of money. Obviously, others (including people who make and sell them) will disagree.

Jim

SanduneCC
February 24, 2002, 12:13 AM
I consider full length guide rods a waste of money

Thank you for that brilliant editorial Jim. Now, to get back on topic, do you know if a "USGI" guide rod would fit in a 9mm slide?

John Bettendorf
February 24, 2002, 01:17 AM
If its a full size 5" gun , standard full length replacement
should not be a problem. " otherwise on short cycle models"

Internal frame components are the same.

Some manufactures cut a 38s feed ramp cut
shorter-narrower than 45.

Check measure and check again, oh did I mention
checking and measuring part and component swapping
dosen't always work out so well. " not recomended"

If you want to turn your 9mm into a 45 you have to buy
a lot of parts.

Better to buy another gun , then youll have both to shoot.

9x19
February 24, 2002, 09:47 AM
Sandune,

I have the same gun (gift from my wife), and if you want to replace the factory-supplied (origin noted for Jim Keenan :p ) full-length guide rod... Yes, a USGI style rod and plug will interchange.

BTW, Ed Brown makes the correct diameter firing pin, if you feel the need to replace that.

SanduneCC
February 24, 2002, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I wan't thinking about converting my 9 into a 45, just wondering about the parts compatibility when I have to buy them from Brownells.