PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Tomcat .32

Nick96
February 23, 2002, 12:56 AM
Anyone with experience with these? I've never shot one, but one I observed at the range seem to function well - and that owner liked it. I like the tip up barrel / open slide design. I've had a Model 950 .25 for many years that's been completely reliable. Though a bit feable down range, it's very handy. So something of similar size but with a bit more umph would be desireable.

The only thing I dislike about the Tomcat (just handling one) is the skinny little trigger. Seems like it could easily get buried in the fold of skin on either side of the first joint of the trigger finger thus not allowing the trigger to be pulled full back (though that could be avoided by using the pad of the finger I suppose). Is this really a problem? If so are there any after market "trigger shoes" or the like that could be installed?

Other than the Kel-Tec P32 it seems to be comparable with the other small .32's out there regarding weight. I've also heard mixed reviews about the P32 as well as the NAA .32 (and .380). The Seecamps are all but impossible to find (certainly at a reasonable price). All of these are about the same size, though the Tomcat is a bit wider. I've heard favorable things about the small Kahr 9mm - but it is somewhat larger and 9mm seems a bit much in such a small pistol.

With summer coming on I've been considering getting one. It's just too hot where I live and my normal dress is such that pocket carry is the most convenient and comfortable. And yes I've been thinking about a small / light .38 too - but even they are a bit large for completely inconspicuous pocket carry.

Would just like to hear any plus's or minus's about them from those that have used them.

Thanks

Kermit
February 23, 2002, 01:02 AM
I've recently been shooting a buddy's. In about 100 or so, I realized I didn't like the trigger on it. Trigger pull is a bit heavy and the DA needs either some breaking in or some getting used to (or both ;) )
I too have a Jetfire 25 and am surprisingly happy w/ it. I think I'm better off for now w/o the Tomcat.

Johnny Quest
February 23, 2002, 01:20 AM
I have had only fair luck with my small Berettas. I would recommend the Kahr MK9 or MK40 for a gun that is almost the same size as the Tomcat, but with a lot more punch and more accurate (IMO). I would much rather shoot a 9mm or .40 as compared to the .32acp.

The Kahr is approved in several areas for law enforcement carry. I don't know of any agencies that have approved the Tomcat (but that's not to say that its not approved somewhere here in the USA).

I think that you will be happier with the Kahr.

Johnny Quest

Coronach
February 23, 2002, 01:51 AM
The Kahr is approved in several areas for law enforcement carry. I don't know of any agencies that have approved the Tomcat (but that's not to say that its not approved somewhere here in the USA).The Tomcat used to be approved for my PD. Alas, the damn things jammed so much the department refused to shoulder the liability of having an officer killed when they failed. So they were yanked from the approved list.

Ymmv,
Mike

Rovert
February 23, 2002, 10:03 PM
Nick, this seems to be the week for pocket guns. I also just made this decision myself. I was very tempted by the Tomcat, but its reputation for spotty reliability, and the fact that it's not that much different in size than an MK9 put me into the Kahr. Here are a couple of shots, so you can see the dimensional differences between the Tomcat, MK9 and Walther P99.

As you can see, there's virtually zero difference in height and width, but the Kahr is about 1/2 longer, and a bit beefier, at the front end, and in the slide. If you can deal with a little extra weight, go with a 9mm. Otherwise, if its about size, then go with a Guardian 380, which seems to have a better reputation for reliability, and is a bit hotter than the 32ACP.

http://www.gothammarketing.com/rck/images/comp2.jpg
http://www.gothammarketing.com/rck/images/comp5.jpg
http://www.gothammarketing.com/rck/images/comp3.jpg

Radagast
February 24, 2002, 08:25 AM
I've got a stainless tomcat, in 250 rounds it's jammed once-stove pipe fte, after around 140 rounds without cleaning. I'm quite happy with it. Sights are minimal, but it will group in two inches at 15 feet.

Radagast

Nick96
February 24, 2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks to all for the good info. Especially to Rovert for the photos. A picture really is worth a thousand words. So at this point, it looks like 1 "For" and 4 "Against". And Coronach, if PD's aren't happy with them, that says a lot.

Thanks Again

Coronach
February 24, 2002, 11:38 PM
Caveat:

Supposedly Beretta has released version 2.0 (with thicker slide) and reliability is dramatically improved. I have no personal confirmation of this, but many here have posted about it. PM Tamara to get her opinion- she usually posts just before or after me saying hers is fine. ;)

Mike

Johnny Guest
February 26, 2002, 04:01 PM
- - -The Kel Tec P32 is sure nice. So small and light that I sometimes lose track of mine and have to feel the pocket to make sure it's there. KT seems to have totally cured the functioning problems which occasionally showed up in the first 6 to 12 months of production.

- - -Which is more than can be said for the Beretta Tomcat. My first misgivings about the piece had to do with sheer BULK. It is WAY too large for the .32 ACP ctg. I have always liked the PB pocket autos, though not the 92-series. I was very disappointed when it developed I didn't know anyone who had one that worked all the time.

If you can go just a bit larger, the KT P-11 is a full 9mm, as is the little Kahr. BIG increase in power with the size tradeoff.

Best Regards---
Johnny GUEST, with a "G" ;)