PDA

View Full Version : Replace PT-145 with ???

python1340
February 22, 2002, 10:49 AM
I've still not decided to replace my Taurus PT-145 just yet. I have a newer pistol with a "NUG" serial number, which should solve the cracked frame issue that was apparently plaguing early PT-145s.

In any case, if I were to replace the PT-145, what would be a good choice? I like the weight, barrel length, and capacity of the PT-145.

Mike11b
February 22, 2002, 11:08 AM
python - I think we corresponded via e-mail. I looked at sub-compacts first like: Glock 36, Springfield and Kimber compacts, Colt Defender in .45. I also considered the Sig P239 and Glock 23 in .40. I shot the 36, 23, Defender, Kimber Ultra CDP and Pro Carry, and Springfield Stainless Compact at my range. I went with the full size Kimber CDP, which was a complete departure from the land of compacts, but that was only because the CDP is so light for a full size. From when I decided to switch weapons to when I purchased was 1.5 months of mostly sleepless nights spent thinking about my choice. I really spent a good amount of time doing my research - as should you, because, if I remember correctly, you were using the 145 for CCW? Either way, good luck, and please don't hesitate to contact me again if I can be of help.

Kermit
February 22, 2002, 11:08 AM
Slingshot? baseball bat? :D :D Just kidding!

I had wanted one of those little Tauri until I read all the posts re: frame cracks & roller pins braking. As an alternative, I looked at Kahr, the tiny Glocks, 5 shot revolvers, and even s a few mouse guns. I think 1/2 the fun of owning guns is the quest to find the right gun to fit the little niches w/ develop. Still haven't decided yet which one to get, but I'm having fun looking.

Lennyjoe
February 22, 2002, 11:48 AM
I too ran into the delema of selecting another gun instead of the PT-145. As of now I havent purchased one but am leaning towards the Charles Daly DDA compact. It holds 10 rounds, its polymer framed and has a 3" barrel. Also going for about $345. Check out www.guwholesale.com for the Daly DDA compact price. I did think about the Glock but like the idea of having 10 rounds instead of 6.

python1340
February 22, 2002, 12:54 PM
Mike11b- yeah that was me in e-mail. I'm not wanting a steel gun - already have those. I'm thinking polymer. I don't really like Glocks because I don't like the trigger/safety setup, and besides, they're ugly.:D
I'm going to check out the SIGs and the USPs for sure.

Lennyjoe- will definitely check out the Charles Daly! Thanks! FYI- the Glock 30 holds 10 rounds, and is pretty small.

python1340
February 22, 2002, 02:23 PM
The Taurus PT-145 is 23 ounces. The USP Compact is 25.6, and seems to be the closest contender weight-wise. Charles Daly's web site is down, so I can't find out more about the DDA. The KZ45 is SA, and waaay overpriced anyway. The SIG 239 is like 29 ounces, which is starting to compete weight-wise with small steel guns, like the 30-ounces Para C6.45 LDA. The Glock 36 is 22.5 ounces, so the weight is right. I'll have to look harder at that pistol with more of an open mind.

New_comer
February 22, 2002, 07:17 PM
How 'bout this?

http://www.cobrapistols.com/_borders/C45.jpg

C45

Caliber: .45 ACP
Barrel length 3 in.
Overall length 6.0 in.
Overall height 4.75 in.
Weight 20 oz.
Magazine capacity: 6 +1 rounds
Lock Breach
Grip: Checkered Ergonomic Design
Slide: Stainless Steel, also available with black Melonite® coating

Here's their url : http://www.cobrapistols.com/DoubleActionOnlys.htm

Hope this helps

python1340
February 23, 2002, 09:56 AM
New_comer- that's a pretty tiny pistol. Have you ever tried it, or talked with anyone who has?

New_comer
February 23, 2002, 08:13 PM
It's the former Republic Arms Patriot 45acp pocket pistol. Last I've read, Rep Arms was bought by Cobra Arms, hence the name change.

Same dog, different collar. :D

Past reviews about this gun gave it a thumbs up. Too bad, it ain't available here...:(

python1340
February 23, 2002, 08:58 PM
I traded it in at the local gun store today. Got $220 for it. I ended up getting a Para-Ordnance C6.45 LDA. This pistol is still heavier than I wanted, being it's 30 ounces, and its capacity is only 6+1, so I still will be wanting more of a pocket carry type of gun in the future.

Here's a couple of pics of the new pistol:
c645lda1.jpg (http://www.sssnakepit.com/redir.php?c645lda1.jpg)
c645lda2.jpg (http://www.sssnakepit.com/redir.php?c645lda2.jpg)

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. Dry firing is real smooth. One gripe about the finish is the little gold Para logo in the middle of the double diamond grips. Very cheesy and plasticy, and feels like it could come off. It's a bit smaller and 4 ounces lighter than my 12.45 LDA. And of course, due to its single stack magazine, it's thinner. I'll give a range report once I shoot it.