PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians elected

Seeker
February 21, 2002, 01:44 AM
Libertarians Win Big in Costa Rican Elections

Congratulations to Movimiento Libertario, the Costa Rican
libertarian party! Running in only their second election, the
party elected six Deputies (congressmen) to the 57-seat
national parliament in the February 3 elections.

As "The News" -- Mexico's national English-language newspaper
-- put it: "...the Libertarian Movement made great strides in
the election..."

The News also declared the libertarians were "[a force] to be
reckoned with" and noted "most analysts were in agreement
that the elections marked the beginning of a transition from
the two-party system that has prevailed in Costa Rica for
decades to an ordering in which a number of powerful
congressional groups jostle for influence."

Another indication of the party's growing influence and
support: every year "La Nacion," a leading Costa Rican
newspaper, conducts annual surveys asking news media people
to name the best of the country's legislators. For 3
consecutive years Costa Rican libertarian Congressman Otto
Guevara has won the survey.

The Movimiento Libertario was founded by 3 people in 1994.
The party says its mission is to transform Costa Rica into a
country where all human beings:

1) Have the right to: live their lives in whatever manner
they choose, act and express themselves in liberty, own
property and pursue their happiness;

2) Respect the same rights of other persons, and

3) Assume responsibility for their actions.

(Sources: The News,
http://www.thenewsmexico.com/noticia.asp?id=18584

Movimiento Libertario: http://www.libertario.org/en/ )

If they can do it in Costa Rica we can do it here.

LonWilson
February 21, 2002, 01:57 AM
what's the state of Costa Rica's gun laws?

Thairlar
February 21, 2002, 07:43 AM
Yeah, it's definitely doable here. It might take some time and a lot of effort, but it can be done.

bronco61
February 21, 2002, 12:49 PM
No, I'm sorry but it can't actually be true.

You see....the other parties are too strong and fringe groups like the Libertarians just don't have the numbers to win major elections like this one.

Actually, a lot of people like the ideas of the Libertarians, but because they'd only lose, people shouldn't vote for them because their vote wouldn't count.

People should vote for the conservative party instead. Sure, their ends are the same as the liberal party, but they are slower getting there.

;)

Fred Hansen
February 21, 2002, 04:11 PM
If they can do it in Costa Rica we can do it here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Not taking into account that Loser Rica has as many different fractional political parties as Crayola has different colors of crayons, of course.

MikeK
February 21, 2002, 04:40 PM
As I understand it, the gun laws in Costa Rica are not bad. Also has a very low cost of living, warm but livable climate. Actually, it sounds like a great place. I have talked with a few people that have freinds living there and love it. A little 'donation' to the local politicians for one of their pet projects makes life even easier. For serious medical work/surgery they fly to Miami.

It is an option I am considering.

bronco61
February 22, 2002, 12:52 AM
I can understand why you are considering Costa Rica as an option Mike. Now I'm pretty intrigued myself!

Last week a buddy and I were trying to think of anywhere in the world we could go that was gun friendly, had low taxes, etc. This COULD be it.

A little 'donation' to the local politicians for one of their pet projects makes life even easier.

And that differs from the U.S in what way?

Modifiedbrowning
February 22, 2002, 02:38 AM
Had a friend from Costa Rica, nicest guy in the world. From what he said Costa Rica was pretty nice. His name was Fernando we called him "The Costa Rican Deacon"

David Park
February 22, 2002, 02:56 AM
jmbg29 is exaggerating, but the original article is disingenuous with its selective quoting. The quote about a "transition from the two-party system ... to an ordering in which a number of powerful congressional groups jostle for influence" was probably referring not so much to the Movimiento Libertario but to the Partido Acción Ciudadana (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/134399249_costarica03.html) (Citizens' Action Party). The election results (http://www.electionworld.org/election/costarica.htm) show that this breakaway party of Otton Solis made a very strong showing in the recent election, with 26% of the presidential vote and 22% of the legislative vote. Contrast that with the libertarians, whose "best legislator" Otto Guevara only received 1.7% of the presidential vote. Movimiento Libertario's six Deputies only control about 10% of the legislature. The libertarians should be proud of the results, which are much better than any third party in the previous election, but they should not be taken to suggest that the Movimiento Libertario will soon dominate Costa Rican politics.

BigG
February 22, 2002, 10:20 AM
Not to mention that any label is only relevant in regard to the particular country's political system.

A "liberal" German in 1932 could be a Nazi; a "conservative" German in 1940 could be a Nazi...

:barf:

youngun
February 22, 2002, 09:14 PM
"People should vote for the conservative party instead. Sure,
their ends are the same as the liberal party, but they are slower
getting there. "

?!BEG PARDON?!
Not the Libertarian party I know.
Not the Republican party I know.

gorlitsa
February 22, 2002, 10:16 PM
"People should vote for the conservative party instead. Sure, their ends are the same as the liberal party, but they are slower getting there. "

?!BEG PARDON?!
Not the Libertarian party I know.

I'm pretty sure Bronco was joking. He better have been, at least. ;)

bronco61
February 24, 2002, 08:34 PM
LOL! Yes, I was being sarcastic. Was just repeating what many people on this board seem to feel is correct and making fun of them. :)

youngun
February 24, 2002, 11:26 PM
[thank god!]
http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/ruinkai/leapfroga.gif