PDA

View Full Version : Mosin M44 (point of impact) w or w/o bayonet

Lee M.
February 18, 2002, 03:51 PM
I have read several threads about the point of impact changing on the m44 mosin when the bayonet is extended. I cannot figure out why this would make a difference whether the bayonet is extended or not. I was wanting to file the bayonet lug off my M44 anyway because I'm not concerned about collectability of the rifle. Would this make the rifle less accurate? Excuse me for my ignorance on this subject. I'm just trying to figure out how the bayonet affects the point of impact on this rifle.:confused:

Oris
February 18, 2002, 06:06 PM
Baoynet works as the barrel weight. Barrel weight slightly deflects
(bends) the barrel and also, changes it's harmonics, which can have both negative or positive effect on accuracy, but it difficult to predict. Deflection of barrel changes point of impact in relation to
sight picture. It has been my experience that in case of relatively short and sturdy M44 barrel, if bayonet and lug is removed, it does not change accuracy potential (group size) of M44, but it does change point of impact, so if you want to use open sights, you will probably end up with some sights adjustment to bring point of impact to the point of aim. On average, removal of bayonet seems to move point of impact between 1" to 2" at 25 yards, both vertically and horizontally.

Navy joe
February 18, 2002, 08:47 PM
Both 44 carbines I've shot would go a foot left at 100 and the group would open up vertically a little with it folded. If I scope mine I'll tune it to shoot folded.