PDA

View Full Version : pre series 70 colt

patkelly
February 18, 2002, 12:08 AM
I recently aquired a pre-70's serires Colt and would like some information about it. The pistol is a typical pre-70's Government Model except that it has the collect type bushing. Under the serial number are the letters BB. The BB also appears under the caliber designation on the barrel hood. The pistol is "NIB" if that can be said of a 30+ year old pistol. I am the first owner, brought it from a local gunshop that had keep it in the back room for over 30 years. I have all of the original packaging includeing the warrenty card. The pistol has never been fired. What do I have and what is it worth?

Jim Watson
February 18, 2002, 12:31 AM
I don't know much, but I'll try to get you started til a real expert comes along.
You have a transitional model between the regular "pre-70" GM and the Mk IV Series 70 guns. BB stands for "Barrel & Bushing" as it has the collet bushing and flared barrel, but the older markings, grips, and trigger. My Blue Book is out of date but it shows the BBs as being worth about $100 more than a standard late pre-70. I bet that now, and in NIB, it is worth more of a premium than that.

patkelly
February 18, 2002, 11:18 AM
Thank you.

Johnny Guest
February 28, 2002, 01:00 AM
That and the cruddy, billboard-style markings, were about the only difference in the Mark IV, Series 70, and the old style gun.

I got a BB variation from an Oshman's Sporting Goods in Benbrook, suburb of Fort Worth. I carried it some and shot it several hundred rounds. I was vaguely aware that it was unusualbut didn't know how much until read a column in Guns magazine which told of the new Series 70, and the rare transition variant. I believe they said there were only some 800 made, maximum, and possibly a lot fewer.

About two years later, I another at a gun show. This one was unfired, too, and I left it that way! Finally sold the unfired one in, I think, 1995, for about $1,000. (It was a 3-way transaction.) At that time, an unfired 1969 gun would have brought around $700--800 in my area.

Unfired pre-70 guns get rarer every year (DUH!) and thus more valuable. It is easy to assume that the gap between one of those and this rare variation widens accordingly. Only way to know for sure is to take it to a gun show put on by a state or regional collector's association and see what kind of serious offers you get. Check a copy of Gun List periodical and see if there's one there.

I can't believe your gun is worth less than $1,500, and probably a lot more. (Sorry--THAT IS NOT AN OFFER!

You have a nice, historical item. I can't decide if it is more or less valuable since the collet bushing was discontinued after several years production. I think MORE valuable, like the Govt Models with the Swartz safety.

Good luck to you.

Johnny

BADSBSNF81
February 28, 2002, 04:28 PM
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/. Try posting over at that site. As the title says, they are 1911 folks. You have something worth in the 1.2 to 1.5K range. Usual disclaimers apply.