PDA

View Full Version : Choices for 10mm?

Aerrin45ACP
February 12, 2002, 02:17 AM
Right now I've got a G30 that I'm getting rid of, and I'm seriously considering a 10mm as my next carry pistol. Being able to shoot 3 calibers in one gun is fairly attractive.

My question is this: what choices in makes/models do I have as far as 10mm goes?

What I know of thus far:

G20/29
Colt Delta Elite
S&W 10xx series

Am I missing anything important? I'm obviously partial to Glock, but I'm stuck between the size of the 20 (impractical for carry) and the fact that I hate the grip extensions on the 29/30 size.

WESHOOT2
February 12, 2002, 05:44 AM
STI

S&W 610

Ed Brown

EAA Witness

Aerrin45ACP
February 12, 2002, 09:57 AM
Well, I checked those out.. the 610 is out, since I want an auto.. between what's left, it seems you can get a good gun, or a cheap gun, but not both together :)

The search continues.

Marko Kloos
February 12, 2002, 10:49 AM
The 10xx series Smiths are very good pistols...and this is coming from someone who didn't like *&* autoloaders until very recently. The third generation *&* pistols in 10mm are very durable, easy to carry, and easy to shoot. A 10xx is a good deal heavier than a 10mm Glock, but that extra weight does help with recoil a lot. They're also much flatter than the G20 or G29, and therefore more comfortable IWB.

I have a Model 1066 which I picked up as a police trade-in for $349. If you want to go 10mm, you can find a 10xx series for about that kind of money, and you'll get a well-made and versatile pistol.

Aerrin45ACP
February 12, 2002, 05:46 PM
lendringser: I've actually got a line right now on a Smith 1076, the FBI model with no mag safety. I had almost ruled this gun out for carry, due to weight, but you're saying they're OK for carry, true?

The other thing about the Smith is, I dont think you can get .40/.357SIG barrels for it. That will affect my decision-making some.

Thanks for the help, btw folks

CastleBravo
February 12, 2002, 06:02 PM
The 1076 is pretty heavy, but it is also nice and flat, so it should conceal quite well.

agtman
February 12, 2002, 07:33 PM
Aeerin45ACP:

FYI, I've been packing a 1076 for years now.

Excellent gun, and the 10XX series autoloaders are probably the best ones Smith ever produced. Do a Search, and you'll find very few complaints about their reliability or performance. Also, very accurate. The 9-rd mags are still widely available from dealers, at gun shows, and sometimes you see them in gun shops.

About the only complaint commonly seen is that the all-steel Smith 10mms are heavy SOBs.

Actually, my 1076 is slimmer than the Sig 220 I once carried, and most portability issues can be resolved by a good (i.e., not cheap) holster and gun-belt combo. Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra here, as the better holsters & belts can make a huge difference in how "heavy" the gun feels on your hip - unless you go the shoulder-holster route, which I've seen guys do if their gun's a "big one."

Probably if I owned the larger 1006, I'd consider a shoulder holster, except in the very hot summer time. Then I'd pack my G-20. But if it ever stayed real hot, like it can get down in the southern states, I'd finally be forced to buy that ultra-light and "girlie" little G-29. :D

Art Eatman
February 12, 2002, 08:51 PM
Aerrin, I've been very pleased with my Delta Elite. Like all the 1911s, I found it very easy to set it up to suit me.

I don't know about the validity of the comments about its durability with a stady diet of hot loads. I don't do much of that with a carry-gun, anyway. I get no particular thrill out of seeing how much recoil I can take. (300-grain hotloads out of a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, or from a RedHawk are enough fun, thank you.)

Hot stuff for carry and familiarization, and plinkers the rest of the time...

:), Art

jakester
February 12, 2002, 09:20 PM
I will echo the S&W 10xx reports. I owned a 1076 which I regrettably sold. I was accustom to the 1911 trigger and didn't shoot the 1076 enough to get a good feel for the DAO trigger pull. I have been eyeing a 1066 on consignment at a local dealer.

If you like the 1911 style pistol, check out Dan Wesson. Their new line of "Pointman" 1911s will include 10mm in their Pointman Major model. I emailed them after hearing the rumors and they confirmed with a response saying the 10mm is currently in its first production run.

I have also researched the EAA Witness pistol. Definitely a mixed bag of reports. One common thread is poor factory customer support. Those who own Witness 10mm's seem to love them!

I'm still waiting on a used Colt Delta Elite at a reasonable price.....could be awhile!

One last option for 1911-style pistols, buy one in 40S&W then have the barrel reamed to 10mm case length. You'll want to beef up your recoil spring selection. How about a Hi-Cap ParaOrdnance converted to 10mm???

Marko Kloos
February 12, 2002, 11:47 PM
lendringser: I've actually got a line right now on a Smith 1076, the FBI model with no mag safety. I had almost ruled this gun out for carry, due to weight, but you're saying they're OK for carry, true?

The weight is not all that bothersome...and 39 ounces is about as much weight as my 1911 or the Beretta 92FS, both guns which I have toted frequently without difficulties. I think we just got a little spoiled by polymer minipistols as far as weight and size goes.

I carry my 1066 in a Mitch Rosen ARG, which makes the gun disappear even under a t-shirt. Its best property for CCW is its flatness...it beats the 10mm Glocks by a mile, and it even beats out the 1911 in grip thinness. Providing you use a good, stiff belt, and a quality holster, toting a 10xx-series Smith is not a problem at all.

True, you can't get barrels in .40 for the 10xx, but going Short & Weak takes all the fun out of owning a 10mm. :D

Aerrin45ACP
February 13, 2002, 12:02 AM
True, you can't get barrels in .40 for the 10xx, but going Short & Weak takes all the fun out of owning a 10mm. :D

A point easily conceded, but I'm more concerned about getting stuck somewhere and not being able to find 10mm ammo.

All the feedback has proved quite useful, thanks!

Randy V
February 13, 2002, 01:13 AM
there was a FBI 1076 on either gunbroker or auction arms, right now , ends soon.

Randy V
February 13, 2002, 01:18 AM
its gunbroker #3084215. Its not cheap though. FBI S&W 1076.

Peter M. Eick
February 13, 2002, 07:32 AM
You can also go custom and get Baer to make a nice 10mm. Several of us have chosen that route.

Brent
February 13, 2002, 06:11 PM
I sent an e-mail to Para-Ordnance requesting they start production of a 10mm. This was their response:

Dear Brent:

Para-Ordnance has no plans on manufacturing a 10mm pistol nor is this something that we are looking into.

Trusting the above will meet with your satisfaction, should you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
Caroline Crawford

Feel free to send more requests to [email protected]. If they get enough requests they may change their mind.

Aerrin45ACP
February 13, 2002, 07:11 PM
You can also go custom and get Baer to make a nice 10mm. Several of us have chosen that route.

Baer is out of my league at the moment.. I'd consider the Dan Wesson, but I would want a standard 1911 profile, without those goofy sight ridges on their pistols.

jtduncan
February 14, 2002, 05:46 PM
Depends, the G29 is the same size as your old G30 BUT

The consensus at GT is that the G20 is more versatile.

G20 - 357SIG, 40SW, and 10mm. One gun;)

Brian Busch
February 14, 2002, 05:51 PM
Why exactly do you think the EAA Witness is cheap, but not good? I know of several that have been very, very reliable, accurate pistols. The only bad thing I've seen is the need to get the current mags, not the old models. And even the old mags simply need new followers and springs, which EAA will send to you free of charge.

My current 10 is the Glock 20. I think it's about as good as it gets.

Rocklobster
February 14, 2002, 05:53 PM
The "reports" that the Delta Elite is not durable are hogwash.I've had mine for 3 years now,have fired over 10,000 rounds with it-nothing other than normal wear.

I also have a 1991A1 that I converted to .460 Rowland,which produces a great deal more pressure than the 10 mm-still chugging along fine after over 6,000 rounds.

nvrquit
February 14, 2002, 09:59 PM
Brian Busch,

While I can only vouch for my own experiences in the first person, my research before purchasing my 10mm EAA(read Tanfoglio) Witness Compact in Wonder finish, indicated buying a Witness could be a gamble. Still, I bought one and the rest is history(that is still in the making!).

If you like, read about my experience with both the pistol and EAA. Then make your own decision.

Best of luck if you decide to do so on the purchase of the EAA.

Read at:

http://pub69.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm35.showMessage?topicID=8.topic

http://talk.shooters.com/room_30/20419.cfm

Brian Busch
February 14, 2002, 11:39 PM
Unbelievable. I am amazed that given this situation, and apparently others like it, that this company is still in business. I owned a compact 9mm TZ75 in the late '80s, it was a great gun. I'm damn glad I never had to have any factory work done on it.

nvrquit
February 15, 2002, 01:04 AM
Yes, it is quite a surprise, isn't it.

I truly find it hard to believe that the european manufacturer, Tanfoglio, has a true understanding of just what his company is losing in our market, by being represented by a company in this manner.

This however, may just change....

In any respect, it is a learning experience.

A S&W model 1066 that is soon to be mine, may sate my 10mm desires.... at least for a short time.

Ah, an H&K Compact in 10mm or a CZ97B in compact form, perhaps a SIG 220ST in 10mm or a Para LDA... Oh, to dream!