PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking at a Walther P22....

Mordwyn.45
February 10, 2002, 06:46 PM
If any of you out there own, or have shot one, would you share your experiences?

The local shop has one for $349.00 and it looks like a fun little pistol, what say you?

JonH
February 10, 2002, 07:26 PM
I bought a P22 about a month ago and have put maybe 300 rounds through it so far. $349 seems rather high for it though. I bought mine for only $249. You might want to look around for a better deal.
Though it's my first .22 pistol I have enjoyed it so far. I haven't done any accuracy testing or anything like that but as a plinker goes it's pretty fun. The Double action trigger pull is horrible however. The Single Action is good and seems to be better even after only 300 rounds. In the first 50 rounds or so I had a couple of Stovepipes but since then it's run like a champ.

- Jon

BigJohnBoy
February 10, 2002, 11:32 PM
P-22 is $239 with the 5" barrel here in Utah and they sell out fast at that price. Still deciding if I want one.
JohnBoy

Beyond_Visual_Range
February 11, 2002, 03:34 AM
5" for $239? Where do you find it? I've only seen 3.4" at this low price.

mjustice
February 11, 2002, 07:06 AM
I bought one earlier this month. It's a neat little pistol. While I have only put 200 rounds through it, I know it's a keeper.

My only gripe is the takedown/reassembly sequences. You pull the slide back and off the rails partially, and then ride the front end forward to get it off. Getting the recoil spring and guide back into the notch also requires learning. These functions are not horrible, but require a good 20 minutes or so to figure out the first time. If the dealer you bought it from has already stripped one, ask him or her to show you once. It'll make things a lot easier.

$349.00 seems high. Is that for the 5" target model?

MJ

trapshooter
February 11, 2002, 08:12 AM
Even taking into account different taxes, fees, or something else(?), that price would only be good if it comes with both the 3.4 and 5 inch barrels. Prices I've seen here range from 209 for the 3.4 to 269 for the 5. Pretty much suggested retail or discounted. I paid 269 + taxes here.

They are fun guns, and very 'similar' in appearance to the P99. (It's a '3/4' copy, outside). Easy to take down, reassemble, and thus change barrels (the guide rod tool makes reassembly a snap, if you get one and learn how to use it).

Down and dirty, the trigger may or may not suit you. DA can be stouter than some prefer. SA can be fair to good. I'd check that before you buy one. I think (because of trigger pull), accuracy is not what those who don't like the pull would prefer. I think the trigger is somewhat subjective, as comments vary. I did find that a very rigorous cleaning helps.

One poster did not care for the rear sight gap. I mention this not because I agree, but because his judgement/preference is as valid as anyone else's, and if you don't like the gun, why not help someone else avoid a similar boo-boo. Heck, that's one reason we all post here. It's something you might want to look at. (OTOH, most deficiencies in any quality gun can be corrected:D, thankfully, or most of us would be in the poor-house).

In this same vein, some people don't think the P22 is as accurate as , say, a Ruger MKII, Buckmark, etc. Probably not, especially if the 22 you are comparing the P22 to has a bull barrel.

Another complaint is the grip size (too small, generally). Hey, it's a 22, not a .45. If you think this is small, try a Beretta M21 or a Keltec P32. However, the P22 comes with two grip adapters, one on the gun and a different size spare. Mine had the smaller one on the gun, and the larger one off. Easy to change. I like the larger one, but that's just me.

Some people say the P22 'prefers' CCI ammo, and that is what mine was proof-fired with. But all I've shot through it is Winchester 40gr, and it hasn't malf'ed on me yet with either mag that came with it(200+ rounds so far).

Overall, for the money, it's a Walther. I like mine, and I think I'll like it more, after it gets shot more. My next pistol might even be a P99, after I get another wheel gun I 'need'.:D

Swamp Yankee
February 11, 2002, 04:30 PM
Paid $269 + Governor's cut. Its ok as a plinker. Might be a good pistol to teach DA/SA transition to a new shooter. If it is to be your only .22 pistol I'd recommend a Browning or Ruger first.
Local shop currently has 3 used Target Models in the case and didn't want mine on a trade. That may be more telling than anything.
Take Care

vluc
February 11, 2002, 10:10 PM
Nice little plinker, I find it comfortable to shoot with the larger grip piece on it. Spent 249 or so for the 5" model, so that 369 is darn high unless it comes with the smaller barrel as well.

Trigger could use some work...waiting to see if anybody does any mods on it to smooth it out. Sights are okay...i went and used some Bright Sight paint and turned the front a nice bright green. Considering a reddot for it to have fun with.