PDA

View Full Version : Value Check, Winchester Super X-1

Jaywalker
February 7, 2002, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Browning Gold, but need to find space for it in my closet (and wallet). Can anyone give me an approximate value of my 1980 Winchester Super X-1 field grade, 26-inch barrel, Improved choke? Call it 99%-plus. I have the origignal box, papers, and a 24-inch deer slug barrel. Thanks.

Jaywalker

Hawkaaa53
February 8, 2002, 12:49 AM
'Lo Jaywalker ,

Boy , right now it's hard to really to say what an SX-1 is "worth".
You could have an 'as new' gun but if the S/N is early and consequently, it doesn't have a 3rd stage trigger , a lot of SX-1
seekers will not be interested .

You can probably "figger" on about $450 to $500 + or - $50 .
That's not very precise is it - - - I don't think so either . But ,
sometimes SX-1 owners resort to parting-out a gun because
certain assemblies make the parts more valuable than the gun .

You might be in a good position though because 26" IC barrels
seem to be in more demand than some others . 30" IM barrels
seem to be the most sought after because of Sporting Clays
interests .

What you can get will ,inevitalby, will come down to finding some- one who wants it more than you .

If you can wait , that would , probably , be in you best ($)
interest . Hawkaaa53

MikeS
February 8, 2002, 02:24 AM
Jaywalker,

Pass your question on to Bob Baumgart at [email protected].
He's been buying/selling/working on the SX-1 for years. HTH.

Mike

Jaywalker
February 8, 2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try, then post the results for general interest.

Jaywalker

Jaywalker
February 8, 2002, 11:08 AM
Bob Baumgart's reply: If it's an older field grade, you're looking at about $500 for the package.
If it's a newer style field gun, it would be worth $575-$600 because of the stage 3 trigger.

The newer triggers are smooth in appearance while the older triggers are serrated......

Bob

MikeS, thanks for the contact.

Hawkaaa53, it's a beautifully machined piece. Unfortunately, it's too heavy to carry in the field, so I started thinking someone else might appreciate more of its qualities than just its beauty. Mine has the smooth, stage three, trigger.

Thanks, all.

Jaywalker

Hawkaaa53
February 9, 2002, 01:56 AM
Jaywalker ,

Bo(b) knows Super X-1s - - - being one I couldn't resist that ; rely on his advise .

Hopefully that 26" barrel has a vent rib - - the slug barrel won't matter much .

Put it on one or more of the auction sites and find out if anyone
is interested ; you might even offer a straight trade if that's of interest to you .

The Browning Gold is my choice of field guns , but , I sold mine 'cause of physical problems . I kept my SX-1 because it
is unsurpassed in quality of construction and dependability .
You aren't expected to accept that on face value . You have to shoot one , some , to believe . They aren't heavy , they are
rugged .

Hawkaaa53

Jaywalker
February 9, 2002, 08:59 AM
Rugged, they are. Had I been able to find a way to attach trunnions, I have put wheels on my SX-1. I did consider a using a gunbearer, when my son was young, but he was too busy busting brush looking for birds.

Jaywalker