PDA

View Full Version : AK Front Sight - Mechanical Zero?

James W
February 5, 2002, 07:35 PM
I recently obtained an AK-Variant.

The front sight post is so elevated that it is essentially flush with the front sight housing.

I have a sight adjustment tool and would like to try to establish a 100 yard/meter "mechanical zero" prior to an actual zero.

This is needed because I will be shooting the rifle next weekend in a gravel pit type setting before I have a chance to zero it.

Is there a standard setting that AK sights leave the factory at? Either a number of rotations or a measurement of some sort.

Any of you with AK's that would be willing to twist and count for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James W

JohnKSa
February 5, 2002, 09:51 PM
I've had 3 AK variants and none of them were particularly close to aim without zeroing.

You should probably bore sight the gun.

Put it in a vise pointed at a wall. Look through the barrel (you'll have strip the gun) and place a mark or sticker on the wall so that the mark is visible through the gun barrel and is centered when you look through the barrel. Then move the mark/sticker straight up 2"

Then, zero the sights to a point at the sticker.

Should get you close.

If you can sight through the barrel of the gun at something which is about the same distance you will actually be shooting, you can zero the sights directly on that object

There is no way to really zero a gun without shooting it.

Good shooting,

John

P.S. I hope that's not a Bulgarian. The elevation is easily adjustable, but the windage slider is generally VERY hard to break loose...

Dave R
February 6, 2002, 12:32 AM
JohnKSA nailed it. The only other option is a little spendy. Buy one of those laser bore-sighters. Kinda takes the fun out of it.