PDA

View Full Version : Robinson M96

Nightcrawler
February 5, 2002, 11:15 AM
Well, the more I look at this rifle, the more I've been drooling over it. I was planning to get a DSA STG58A first, but, I'm beginning to think I'm going to just save up and get the Robinson before anything else, because frankly, it costs more than anything else I want right now (though it is only a couple hundred more than the price my dealer gave me for an M1A, and several hundred LESS than the other .223 which has really ticlked my fancy, the ZM LR300. The price is about the same as an HK SL8-1, which I like, but it has >10 round magazines available and is much more modular.)

Besides, Robinson is a good company, and I want to give them some business. Maybe I'll stop by their place when I'm in Utah this spring....they're in Salt Lake City.

http://www.robarm.com/images/RA_recon_carbine_white.jpg

I just love the modularity of the weapon. I'm one of those people who likes things you can shape and configure with different parts, like Legos. Yes, yes, I know, and AR-15 is both modular and costs less, but EVERYBODY has AR-15s. I've never seen an M96 in the shops around here. Having a gun that's different can be a big selling point for me...

From the website, Robinson is talking about a belt-fed and a 9mm conversion kit coming out soon, and according to their news page, at the SHOT Show they'll be showing off a 7.62x39mm version, presumably taking AK magazines. I've heard rumblings about a .308 version, but nothing definate.

Again, I'm expecting about a $1300 check in the mail before too long (I could save up the rest), and my school bills are about paid up for the year. Whaddaya think? Should I go for it?

jason10mm
February 5, 2002, 01:16 PM
Please do, and report back to us!! I'd like a M96 as well, but the price is outrageous. These guys really need to underprice it to get some market penetration, then raise to price to whatever makes them money. Unless they can get some big name police/fed agencies to adopt them, the only other way to get popular is to have positive word-of-mouth. Can't get that if no one can buy one. They handle well, but are a bit heavy. Not sure what the response to a belt-fed option would be, since there are no FA M96s, what would be the point (aside from coolness). If I wanted a semi belt fed I would get a M1919A4 for the same price, plus in a useful caliber. I think they are going to get seriously wiped out once Armalite gets the AR-180 up and going. A piston-operated, AR ergonomic, AR mag taking rifle for $500, or $1500? You be the judge. Their Veprs are a better deal, but that stock has GOT to go!! LAter.

TwoRavens
February 5, 2002, 02:39 PM
Hopefully I'll be getting my recon by the end of Feb. It cost me a little over $1300.

I'm not the sure the AR180 will compete with the M96 for the same buyers. Kind of like a GLock vs 1911 thing. The HK is about the same price, but as you said only 10rnd mags. (Unless that bill sunsets)....

Gumbo
February 5, 2002, 02:46 PM
You might want to make other entertainment plans while in UT. Robarms does not have an open shop nor will they let anyone that does not work there on the property. They do make a fine firearm though and for that I can tolerate their quirks =) If you plan your trip while one of the gun shows is going on, you may get a chance to talk to them. They do attend quite a few.

SouthernShark
February 5, 2002, 02:48 PM
I was going to buy one last year. My dealer had just sold one and he told me the price. He called RobArm back to order a second one and the price had gone up $50 more dollars.....

I told him to hell with it. The price was already too high. To increase it like that was ridiculous. It is obvious that the company is more interested in keeping rifles than selling them.

I don't see much long term viability in the design. Its just too expensive to ever catch on.

-SS

Correia
February 5, 2002, 02:57 PM
The 7.62x39 version does exist. It takes AK mags. I saw it at SHOT show. According to them the .308 version is on hold indefinatly.

It is more expensive than an AR. Look at it this way. There are tons of companies that make AR type rifles, and have been doing so for over thirty years. There are dozens of places to purchase AR parts. Factories have cut down on their production costs over time and it is a big competitive market.

The M-96 is a new gun. Made by one company. It goes after a different market than the AR. It is a high quality, well built rifle. It is priced accordingly.

The AR-180b is a design whose original selling point was that it was cheap and easy to manufacture. And now it has a polymer lower. No great surprise why it sells for 1/3 the cost.

I figure that the AR-180b will steal more market share from the AR than the M-96. Looking at comparably priced pistols, who did Glock steal more market share from, Sig or Wilson Combat?

Robarm is selling M-96s about as fast as they can make them. Because it is a good gun. Different market niche than the 180.

Kaylee
February 5, 2002, 02:59 PM
Got to play with one a while back.. a tad heavy for a .223 for my tastes, but if that don't bother you, looked like a great rifle.

Looking at your posts over the last several months, it seems to me that's been your "I really wanna" for quite a while. I'd say go for the Robinson -- sounds like that's what you really wanna do anyhow.

-K

George Hill
February 5, 2002, 03:28 PM
For an automatic rifle, the ones I have fired have been not only reliable, but the smoothest shooting gun you will ever fire.
I've fired the full sized one, and the carbine. I would love to try the Recon variant. But am afraid that if I do, I'll have to buy it.
For a .223 cal fighting gun - this one is the tops that is available to an American Civilian.

Bob Locke
February 5, 2002, 03:54 PM
The only thing I really know about this rifle is that the more I look at/study it and its features, the more I want one!

(I like the Recon variant, myself.)

M1911
February 5, 2002, 03:57 PM
If I were you, I'd get the STG and wait on the Robinson (and I'm not big fan of the FAL). The M96 is still relatively young in its development and they've made a number of running changes. If you do get one, definitely get the Recon model because it seems to have all of the improvements. You might want to check out the bboard at http://www.biggerhammer.net

Reading some of the entries, it seems as though the rifle is still having some minor teething issues (which is why they've been making some running changes).

It's a very attractive rifle to me, but rather expensive and fairly young. I'd give it another year or so (and in the same time, watch what competition from the AR180b does to it).

M1911

Jamie Young
February 5, 2002, 05:06 PM
Boy you really can't make up your mind can you?:)

Take your time, but you can't go wrong with an STG58.

What do you want to do with your next rifle NightCrawler?

Do you just want to Rock n' Roll or what?

How far do you usually shoot?

Are you going to Scope the gun?

Just trying to help you get to the next stage:cool:

Why don't you just wait until next December and ask Santa?

Nightcrawler
February 5, 2002, 05:38 PM
Curses. I was hoping that one weapon could perform the fuction of both intermediate cartridge and full power battle rifle; thus it would save me from having to decide between the two. *sigh*

Probably have to get the FAL first. The thing about waiting until next Chirstmas, though, is I have money available NOW. I won't next year, most likely, or at least, not very much. (difference in the bills I'll have to pay).

What I'm *really* looking for in a 5.56 rifle is something that all those AR-spacegun types won't be able to scoff at. (Won't impress 'em all, naturally, as there are some that think that a rifle that won't do .5 MOA isn't accurate, but you can't please everybody.)

Besides that, the M96 is the coolest 5.56 rifle I've seen that's available to me, a non-LE American citizen. I've wanted one ever since I first saw it, and I swear to God, I will have one someday.

Jamie Young
February 5, 2002, 05:47 PM
Wait about 6-8 months when I save enough for another rifle. I'll be so curious about the M96 that I'll end up getting one over an AR. I almost got an AR, then I got a Mini 14, then I got 2 SKS's and a Russian Saiga. Then I sold the Russian Saiga and One SKS. Then I almost got an AR. Then I got an STG58. Now I'm selling the last Russian SKS and saving for an AR. What am I going to get 6-8 months from now? Oh I forgot I just got a Ruger 10/22:) Am I bad or what;)

JIH
February 5, 2002, 08:14 PM
I've handled and shot the M96. Only problem I have with it is the weight. The accuracy issue is more theoretical than anything, but the weight is something I can do without. It just seems heavy for a 5.56 rifle.

Ewok_Guy
February 5, 2002, 08:20 PM
You can tell its too heavy just by looking at it! :eek:

Nightcrawler
February 5, 2002, 08:24 PM
"Too heavy."

Not an issue to me. I mean, really. A 20" A2 style AR weights 9 pounds too. The weight difference is a matter of a pound or less, and you get the benefit of a steel receiver instead of an aluminum one.

Ewok_Guy
February 5, 2002, 08:28 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to question your strength.:rolleyes:

Nightcrawler
February 5, 2002, 08:40 PM
Um, sorry if I offended, but it's only one extra pound, abouts. As long as the weapon is well-balanced, I'm not going to notice. The M96 weighs less than a FAL, my Remington, or a good 20" social shotgun. I just don't think an 8.2 pound weapon is too heavy, so long as the balance is good. *shrug* It's just a matter of personal preferance.

Ewok_Guy
February 5, 2002, 08:42 PM
Of course it is! ;)

SAWBONES
February 5, 2002, 09:29 PM
I love mine.

I have the rifle and carbine barrels as well as the Recon kit, but I leave it in the Recon configuration.

It's lighter, shorter, and has lower "swing weight" that way.
I've put scopes and the EOTech holosight on it at different times, but I actually prefer just using iron sights.

It's tough, reliable, accurate, and modular to boot.

And incidentally, whoever posted that "Robarms does not have an open shop nor will they let anyone that does not work there on the property" is wrong.
I've been there dozens of times, including in the shop, in back, as a multiple-time customer.

They don't cater to "gunshop groupies", and don't exactly give "tours", nor, I'm sure, do they want packs of Cub Scouts traipsing through, but the folks there are friendly and willing to discuss their wares. You can walk right in the front door and purchase their products on site. Best.

Ewok_Guy
February 5, 2002, 09:31 PM
BTW, Go for it Nightcrawler!

TwoRavens
February 5, 2002, 09:33 PM
Sawbones,
How did you mount the EOtech? Could you still use the iron sights?

Jamie Young
February 5, 2002, 09:33 PM
What kind of accuracy and with what ammo?

Nightcrawler
February 5, 2002, 11:37 PM
The 7.62x39mm version is a kit, right? You can convert the standard rifle to the 7.62x39mm version without tools, just like you can convert it to the Recon kit, yes?

As for the .308 kit. Did they say WHY it was being put on hold? Technical engineering problems? Robinson has a high standard of quality, yes. But remember, last year about this time, I do believe that they said the same think about the 7.62x39 version. Give 'em time. With a design that modular, there's almost no limit, especially since the magazine well assembly isn't part of the receiver.

Nightcrawler
February 6, 2002, 12:36 AM
C'mon, Mad Ogre, you know you want one. Whaddaya say? You and me, snagging a pair of M96's. We can be the rifle forum's two main proponents of the weapon, and stand up to the scoffing of the AR faithful shoulder to shoulder.

Besides, you've been talking about the M96 for a long time now... you should get one. I mean, what the hell, life is short, right?

As for me, my attitude on gun buying is "get 'em while I can afford 'em". My financial siutation has left me in a VERY fortunate situation this year, and I have access to more money than I deserve, by far. Next year it won't be so, and I probably won't be able to buy any guns at all...

KShaft
February 6, 2002, 03:19 AM
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!

DO ET MAEN!

If i can find a used one i might get one too!

Or i might just get a VEPR II!

ARRG decisions!

ks

Nightcrawler
February 6, 2002, 12:24 PM
It doesn't look good. While I am going to be getting that check sooner or later, I have other needs for it (I need a computer of my own; the only one I have, this laptop, is school-issued, and not only does it both suck AND blow, I can't play any games on it).

Then there's my road trip to pay for, and next semester's bills to save up for.

Hope yet remains; I'll just have to start saving every penny I can spare and see where I am in a couple months.

George Hill
February 6, 2002, 12:58 PM
Of course I want one!
When I get a another job, I'll be looking into buying several long arms one at a time to rebuild my collection.

In no order here are the ones at the top of my MUST GET list:

VEPR II
M96 RECON
Marlin 1895GS Guide Gun
ICE Epic (a paintball marker)
Cimmaron Thunderer
Weatherby's Dangerous Game Rifle in .460 Weatherby Magnum
Armalight AR 180b
Hi Point .45
Winchester 1300 Defender.

The Hi Point is listed just to see if your reading.

Dave3006
February 6, 2002, 01:44 PM
George, you may need to add a new gunsafe to that list!

(I can sneak a gun past the wife pretty easy. A new safe is a whole other challenge...)

George Hill
February 6, 2002, 01:47 PM
:D

Nightcrawler
February 6, 2002, 01:57 PM
Well, George, we have something else in common then, because I too want a VEPR II.

I do have an inheritance coming when I turn 22, a little more than a year from now. Perhaps I should wait until then to get the M96? Hmm. We'll see...

Correia
February 6, 2002, 02:30 PM
When I asked about the .308 they didn't really elaborate. However they did allude to the fact that they were really really busy working on some sort of new super secret ultra cool project that was taking up most of their extra time. No idea what the project is however.

And I don't know if the 7.62x39 is a kit. Actually I think that is going to be a seperate weapon, but I didn't ask, so I don't know for sure.

Ahh... and the Vepr K is pure sweetness. I love mine.

SAWBONES
February 6, 2002, 05:41 PM
Hi SodaPop;
I mounted the EOTech using the Robinson Armament short scope rail mount, but no, you can't use the iron sights when it's mounted, since their axis is WAY below that of the EOTech.

TwoRavens:
Best I can do with 50 year old eyes is 2-3" at 100 yards. That's with American Eagle (generic Federal) 55gr FMJ, though I haven't tried any "match" loads.
Many folks who shoot better than I claim 1 MOA or less.
Alex Robinson says that different examples of the M96 shoot as good as .5 MOA (best), while some others do no better than 4 MOA (worst).
I dunno. Since I plan to use iron sights, I'm satisfied with the degree of accuracy mine has.
Best.

Ceol Mhor
February 6, 2002, 09:20 PM
Nightcrawler - If you want a non-AR .223 that won't be scoffed at, you might want to wait for Barrett's Tavor-21... http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100801

Steve Smith
February 7, 2002, 10:35 AM
You guys need to stop this right now. Don't you know how difficult it was to walk away from the Robinson booth at the Shot Show without placing an order for one? That Recon Carbine was calling my name the whole time...still is.

BTW, my AR weighs 15+ pounds.