PDA

View Full Version : Ratting With Dogs

MP-44
February 4, 2002, 06:25 AM
Is there any rat hunters here?
When I was a kid I had a Rat Terrier. I would take him to a likely area with boards or large junk laying on the ground that would make good rats nest. When ever he would show interest( understatement, he would go crazy) in an object I would turn it over. In a flash he would be down to his shoulders in the dirt. He would pop up for an instant to yank the rat out of the ground, dead from a single bite then go down for another. There could be up to five dead rats in a matter of seconds. At the time I did not appreciate this dogs ability. My Grandfather breed them and all his dogs were like that so I just took it for granted.
I am thinking about getting back into it but need to find a good dog. Several years ago I bought two Rat Terriers. I was very disappointed. They had no prey drive and were very nervous dogs.
Does anyone know of a good breeder of proven ratting dogs?

Art Eatman
February 4, 2002, 09:27 AM
Yeah, when I was a kid, my grandmother had a stray "take up" terrier that was quite a ratter.

Dunno where you'd go, these days. Maybe at the dog pound, looking for something that "looked likely".

Art

dZ
February 5, 2002, 11:37 PM
pssst:

http://knitehunt.homestead.com/

redneck
February 6, 2002, 09:15 PM
I've seen a few border collies that were good about getting rats. They were farm dogs and got all kinds fo stuff though. I think it depends on the dogs temperment and training than breed. Just a thought, I don't really know anything about it.

stinger
February 6, 2002, 10:11 PM
how about a cat?!?