PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting

j-heart
February 2, 2002, 12:18 AM
I'm interested in going on my first turkey hunt in Missouri this April and will need to purchase a shotgun for the hunt. I've read a little about shotguns but I'm not sure what would be best for turkey hunting. Semi auto v. pump? Other suggestions and why?

Dave McC
February 2, 2002, 08:04 AM
Pumps are more reliable than Semis, tho folks who know how and when to clean the semis are catching up.

Any fairly tightly choked 12 gauge that takes 3" shells will do fine. The LOAD is the hard choice.

Here in Md, we're limited to lead pellets of 4,5 or 6 size. Turkey guns MUST be patterned for effectiveness even more than most other shotguns.

Remington makes one of their Express model 870s with a flat finish and a 23" bbl. This is a designated Turkey gun, but the standard 28" bbl is no great handicap. The Expresses are probably the cheapest top quality shotguns out there. And quite versatile....

Whatever shotgun you pick, try a variety of loads on turkey targets at 40 yards. Use the one that puts the most pellets in the head/neck area.

I also suggest hitting your local library, under Dewey Decimal System #799 should be some books on turkey hunting.

j-heart
February 2, 2002, 09:09 AM
The Missouri Dept of Conservation states that it has been "proven" there is no advantage to a barrel over 18" with regards to improved accuracy. Is this true?

They also require using No. 4 shot.

Dave McC
February 2, 2002, 12:58 PM
There's a real can of worms there, Jheart.

Almost all powder burns inside 18", tho muzzle flash can be brutal with the shorter bbls in low light.

As for accuracy, that's more to do with expertise, balance and fit than bbl length.

I do some hunting with a 21" bbled 870 I had set up originally as a turkey gun. With a Skeet tube in it, it does a fair imitation of a quail gun, and with the Modified tube in, Snow geese. I'd probably do better with a longer bbl on waterfowl, but I do OK.

labgrade
February 2, 2002, 08:07 PM
When I bought Rem's Turkey Express, it came with a 21" bbl, vent rib, double beads & an extra full turkey choke. Nice package & my fave all 'round 12 ga.

Many a turkey's been taken with 2-3/4" shells, but a larger shot payload is more better - the more you can throw out, the better your odds. I wouldn't feel undergunned with 2-3/4" 12 ga #6s & a mod-full choke, but pattern that thing first! & only count head/neck pellets as real hits.

Only way to know, is to pattern a vaiety of loads in your shotgun. I had tremendous variety using the Rem Duplex, Win's 1-7/8 oz loads & Fed's Premiums. Settled on Fed's 2oz of #4s - for my shotgun.

Loads in #6-#4 lead w/a heavy payload seem to work best. Note, no mention of velocity. You shoot a turkey with enough suitably sized pellets & he'll go down.

Velocity loss in a shotgun is around 20fps per inch of barrel lost & really, a moot point.