The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 29, 2002, 12:46 PM   #1
Mad Man

AK-74 muzzle brake

I came across this photo of someone shooting a short-barrel AR with an AK-74 muzzle brake at http://samizdata.blogspot.com/?/2002...a_archive.html

Does anyone have pictures of a short barrel AR being fired with other styles of flash hiders, muzzle brakes, or without anything attached to the end of the muzzle?

Thanks.

Posted by Perry de Havilland (London) on Monday, January 28, 2002

The tools of liberty in use

I was perusing Bill St. Clair's most worthy End the War on Freedom blog and was so inspired that for no reason in particular I felt like posting this pictures of myself doing what comes naturally.

Note the AK-74 style muzzle brake... makes the weapon very controllable even on rock and roll but everyone sure as hell gets to see where you are firing from! Photograph was taken by excessively tall good buddy and would-be evil world ruler Willi Zahn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perry_m16short_bang_sm.jpg (79.2 KB, 98 views)
Old January 29, 2002, 05:24 PM   #2
ballistic gelatin

Flash Gordon

If that's what a "wonderful" muzzle break does, then I don't want any part of it. NO flash signature is the desired goal, right?
Old January 29, 2002, 06:04 PM   #3
Mark O

I'm not a big AR fan but know the gun pretty well.IMO AR's don't have enough recoil in the first place to need a brake.On an AK the brake has a purpose,not the AR.I agree,a flashhider would be better(and it is has a purpose on an AR) and a lot easier on the ears..I think people are going for the coolness factor in the way a brake looks on the AR.
Old January 29, 2002, 10:07 PM   #4
fed168

Several years ago I was in a rifle school with a gentleman, shooting a Bushmaster AR with this godawful brake. It did anything but work. Standing down the line, you could feel the shock wave (for lack of a better term) bounce of you. Several others in the class shot ARs, and we could not tell the difference. Plus it was loud too.
Old January 29, 2002, 11:14 PM   #5
Perry

The weapon in the picture was actually a much modified M-16 shorty rather than an AR-15. The picture was taken in 1986. Whilst it is quite correct that 5.56mm produces a puny recoil, when fired full auto I assure you it is sufficient to make it quite hard to control in anything other than about three round bursts.

With the AK-74 brake, it hugely reduces this, to the extent that when we were experimenting with seeing how many round we could keep on the paper at about 75 yards on full auto with long bursts (8-12 rounds), we went from maybe 3-5 out of a 30 round mag to about 10-12 of 30. That is quite a difference.

Of course it greatly increases signature as the picture shows, but then a shorty is hardly a sniper rifle! It is an assault weapon.

Regards

Perry de Havilland ...-
menacing it with an endless series of
hobgoblins, all of them imaginary
- H.L. Mencken
Old January 30, 2002, 12:05 PM   #6
Mad Man

Perry,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the picture was that old, or that people were putting AK muzzle brakes on ARs waaaaay back in 1986. I wonder if that will be a punchline on That '80s Show?

Sorry that the contract work with SPECTRE didn't work out.