The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 1, 2002, 04:31 PM   #1
swatman

Savage 111. Anyone have any experience with this rifle?

I saw one at a local shop and they were only asking 269 for it. It feels nice, but lacks a front sight post and is extreamly light. I wonder if this thing would beat up my shoulder being so light and firing a 30.06 cartridge. It comes with a Simmons scope.
Anyone here know anything about these rifles?

www.humanityonhold.com/intifada.html
Old February 2, 2002, 08:10 AM   #2
Dogjaw

I've got an FL111 (F=composite stock, L=left handed) in 250 Savage (250/3000). It shoots 3/8" 3 shot groups with both a heavy deer load and a light varmit load. The Savage is a great buy. Some don't like the looks of the barrel nut, but I'm more interested in the business end.
The lighter the rifle the more recoil. I have noticed (maybe just me) more felt recoil out of a Rem 700 than a Ruger 77 in 30-06. The Savage stock seems more like a Ruger. The recoil shouldn't be an issue when hunting. When at the range, use a P.A.S.T. shoulder pad. They really work well.
Another way to reduce recoil (and keep the gun light weight) is to install a Pacmyer Decelerator recoil pad. I've seen it turn a true punisher into a pussycat for $57 installed.
The gun's a steal at $269.
Old February 2, 2002, 08:56 AM   #3
Byron Adams

Savage 111

I have a 111 in 223. The bolt is smooth and accuracy excellent. I load the 50 grain Ballistic Tip and can get 1/2" at 100 yards.Mine is the hardwood stock.
Old February 2, 2002, 12:31 PM   #4
Badger Arms

I had a 111FC (with detatchable clip). I took the .308 barrel off the gun and had a gunsmith put a .358 Winchester barrel on. I then took the rifle, scope mount and rings, and two clips parkerized. The gun shoots sub-MOA and the light-weight is not really that bad on recoil considering the .358 kicks harder than any other .308 based cartridges. See my website for pictures.