The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 28, 2002, 01:55 PM   #1
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Legally Registered, Illegally Used - - -

Until fairly recently, we are fond of saying that there has NEVER been a legally registered machine gun used in the commission of a crime. Then, a year or two back, it was acknowledged that there had been one, single, instance of that happening.

The story varies with who is doing the telling. I've heard that it was a cop, somewhere--locations vary. Used either his own, personally registered SMG to shoot up some bad guy. Or a legal weapon owned by his agency and issued to him. One version has it that he or his family were victimized and he took the law into his own hands. Another one says he was a crooked cop to begin with, and was cheated by another criminal.

I'm not interested in putting any particular spin on this story--It's just that there are enough versions that some of them HAVE to be erroneous. I'm just trying to track down the straight scoop on this tale. Can anyone here give me a reference or web link to the true story? I'd be very obliged.

Best,
Johnny
Old January 28, 2002, 02:23 PM   #2
SDC

I've heard the same story, Johnny, only the way I remember it, this guy (a police officer) was trying to hire himself out as a hit-man. To the best of my memory, this was in one of J.David Truby's books.
Old January 28, 2002, 03:12 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

This is from the t.p.g. FAQ- which contacted and researched the story to verify the claims made:

Quote:
Since 1934, only one legally owned machine gun has ever been used in crime, and that was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer (as opposed to a civilian). On September 15th, 1988, a 13-year veteran of the Dayton, Ohio police department, Patrolman Roger Waller, then 32, used his fully automatic MAC-11 .380 caliber submachine gun to kill a police informant, 52-year-old Lawrence Hileman. Patrolman Waller pleaded guilty in 1990, and he and an accomplice were sentenced to 18 years in prison. The 1986 'ban' on sales of new machine guns does not apply to purchases by law enforcement or government agencies.
---
Thanks to the staff of the Columbus, Ohio Public Library for the details of the Waller case.
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

Their full auto section addresses crime with machine guns and is pretty well-researched.
Old January 28, 2002, 04:01 PM   #4
KSFreeman

Who's this "we"???

Copper in Dayton, Ohio. Victim's family sued the police chief for signing the 4. 6th Circuit Ct. of App. upheld the summary judgment dismissing the suit.
Old January 29, 2002, 01:55 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

B. Roberts - - -

Thanks very much. That's just the information I wanted.

KSF---
"Who's this "we"??? "

If you mean my non-grammatical remark beginning, "Until fairly recently, we are fond of saying that there has NEVER been . . . "

I meant those of us who kinda like full auto guns and mess with them a little, within the bounds of the law, as confused, illogical and probably unconstitutional as the law is.

Best,
Johnny