The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 21, 2002, 05:34 AM   #1
twoblink

Zmax for my guns??

Question::

I was just watching the infomercial for Zmax (With Linkite) for your car. I've always wondered about it, and have been tempted a few times to buy it for my car..

But since I was watching that while cleaning my guns.. The commercial says, it "wets" the metal. That seems to be something that would be great for guns as well.. So.. has anybody tried Zmax for their guns?? I'm curious if the metal wetting properties would benefit my guns...

Is CPL suppose to wet the metal also?? If so, can I add it to my car?? :-D

Albert
Old January 21, 2002, 08:29 AM   #2
Azrael256

I would think that it would be in that middle density that wouldn't be all that helpful. It would probably be ok in something that is either a relatively slow action, like a bolt-action, or an enclosed action, like an AR, but I would avoid putting it on a semi-auto handgun. It's not dense enough to stick like grease, and it's not going to maintain surface tension with a really thin layer, so you'd probably get a pretty good spray in the face. The other problem is the heat/viscosity relationship. 30W oil maintains rougly the same viscosity under the temperature changes you get in a gun, but Zmax might not. Getting too thin when heated might make it sling right off, or flow into a low spot like the magazine, and from there into the chamber... and that could be bad. I would also want to know how it affects the finish. Zmax is made for use on bare metal, not a matte finish. For all we know, it could be horribly corrosive to polymers, and dissolve a glock (althought I highly doubt it).

So basically, I don't know. It *could* be good, but it would require some testing first. I'd avoid it and stick with CLP.
Old January 21, 2002, 06:21 PM   #3
twoblink

Eating primers and thus creating a FoF is probably the worst case scenerio, I seriously doubt it will eat a glock, but who knows.. Just wanted to see if anybody has tried it..

Albert
Old January 21, 2002, 06:58 PM   #4
Azrael256

Well, I wouldn't say that dissolving a glock would necessarily be a bad thing, but it might eat up a metal finish, and that would be bad.

My real concern would be rust. Cleaning solutions like WD-40 and CLP actively work to prevent rust because they contain water displacing chemicals (in fact, the WD stands for Water Displacer). There isn't much in the way of rust prevention in engine oils/additives because it's not really an issue in an engine (well, at least not where the oil is). Also, a lot of engine additives, like Berryman's, are used to remove the "laquer" that can build up in engines. I don't know if Zmax would contain anything like that, but I wouldn't want to be the first to find out the hard way.

I guess you could try it out on a junker. Find an old el-cheapo revolver that's still in working conditon and give it a shot and see how it does. Who knows, you might have stumbled on a really terrific gun lube.