The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 15, 2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Wheelman

Mini-14 vs Vepr in .223

I've been researching the Mini-14 on the forums and have found much information, especially regarding the Mini vs AR.
What do you all think about the Mini vs the VEPR in .223? I'm talking about the VEPR with the thumbhole stock, not the VEPR II.
It seems to me that the Vepr (being an AK) would probably match the Ruger's reliability. Everyone seems in agreement that the Mini is reliable. Most people are in agreement that the Mini is not real accurate. Does anyone know of the Vepr's accuracy?
Mini-14s in Ranch are selling for about $545 in my neck of the woods. The Vepr .223 rifle is listed on robarm.com as $569. They appear to be pretty even to me. Would the Vepr get the edge in accuracy? What are your thoughts?
All posts will be appreciated.
Old January 15, 2002, 08:21 PM   #2
Jamie Young

VEPR Rifles have a good reputation. I'm pretty sure you can only get 5 and 10rd mags for them though. You can still get PMI 30rd Magazines for the Mini 14 for about $35. I think the VEPR Might be a little bit more Sturdy though.
Old January 15, 2002, 08:31 PM   #3
Dangus

Only the Vepr .308 has small cap magazines. You can get regular capacity AK mags for .223. They are converted from 5.45x39 AK-74-style regular capacity magazines.

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

"Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."
Old January 15, 2002, 08:37 PM   #4
Nightcrawler

Yes. Vepr .223 30 round magazines cost $19.95 from Robinson. Or, you can buy a Robinson follower and install it in any old AK-74 mag, if I'm not mistaken.

The VEPR is a lot heavier than a Mini, but it's a solid rifle.
Old January 15, 2002, 08:41 PM   #5
Jamie Young

How is the VEPR Rifle different from the Saiga Rifles?
Old January 15, 2002, 08:50 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
How is the VEPR Rifle different from the Saiga Rifles?
I'm comparing the Saiga 308 rifles to the VEPR 308 rifles. Haven't done any research on the other calibers.

Fit & finish is supposed to be better. Also, the VEPR rifles are built on a reinforced RPK receiver (LMG version of the AK). The Saiga rifles are built on an AK receiver. The Saigas have longer barrels, and the barrels may be a bit heavier (thicker).

The VEPRs are supposed to be more accurate too, which should make them pretty decent shooting machines since the Saigas will generally group around 2moa.

The VEPRs (the IIs anyway) can also be had in a legal pistol-grip configuration, if that's your thing.

Good shooting,

John
Old January 15, 2002, 08:52 PM   #7
Nightcrawler

VEPR vs. Saiga, from Robinson

The VEPR rifle should not be confused with the Saiga Rifle. Makers of the Saiga rifle saw the success of the VEPR in the Russian market and attempted to copy it.

The Saiga receiver has been modified to use a Monte Carlo type stock which ruins the asthetics and ergonomics of the RPK and AK. The VEPR retains and improves upon the good looks and shooting comfort of the original RPK and AK rifles.

The VEPR magazine holds 10 rounds. The Saiga magazines hold only 8 rounds. In our opinion, the VEPR is the finest Kalashnikov Rifle ever made.

This is referring to the .308 version. 30 round magazines are readily available for the VEPR II .224. The VEPR II 7.62x39 will accept all standard double stack AK magazines.
Old January 15, 2002, 09:07 PM   #8
Jamie Young

I owned a Russian Saiga in 7.62x39. I kinda wish I didn't sell it but I got sick of only having two 5rd mags for it. I know NOW that I could have done LEGAL modifications to the gun to take AK mags. I wish I would have found TFL On the WWW sooner

I didn't like the stock at all though. The thing fell apart on Me the first time I took it to the range. And it wasn't as accurate as My SKS's.
Old January 15, 2002, 09:07 PM   #9
Wheelman

Thanks guys.
I'm hearing a lot of 'supposed to be accurate' in reference to the Vepr. Does anyone actually have one in .223 that can attest to it's accuracy in comparison to the Mini? I was all set to get the Mini but it hit me that the Vepr was probably equal in price and reliability. So the big question is accuracy. Any Vepr experience out there?
Old January 15, 2002, 09:14 PM   #10
Jamie Young

Nope
Old January 15, 2002, 09:30 PM   #11
Nightcrawler

Well you know, the Mini-14 isn't known for extreme accuracy either. Both will put their rounds into a pie plate out to the effective range of their cartridges, if you do your part. If you want more than that, you'd probably be better off with a HBAR 20" or 24" AR, or a bolt gun.
Old January 15, 2002, 09:50 PM   #12
mwv4

The VEPR II can be had for a little over 500 @ tennessee guns. With the right ammo it can do 1 moa. But it still does what an AK does best.
Old January 15, 2002, 09:58 PM   #13
Matt Sutton

I have a Vepr II .223 20.5".
I only shot at paper when it was brand new. By about the 50th round, groups had settled down to about 4" at 100 yards with 5-10mph wind, factory iron sights, and using Wolf 55gr FMJ. I believe it could do better with better quality ammo and optics, but that's not what I bought it for. This gun kicks bunny butt! I've never had so much fun with a rifle than when shooting at running jacks with my Vepr.
It's like a big 10/22 only with balls!
I owned a Mini-30 for about 2 days a couple of years ago. There is no comparison between the two at all. The Vepr is in a whole different class than the Ruger CF autos.