The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2001, 10:33 PM   #1
Azrael256

Chronograph?

I keep reading about chronographs. I have a rough idea of what a chronograph does, but I don't know what it IS. Could someone describe one?
Old December 22, 2001, 10:51 PM   #2
David Wile

Hey Az,

A chronograph in its simplest form is a speedometer for bullets. What you can get today at fairly reasonable prices, however, is a lot more than just a speedometer. Basically, a chronograph is a computer than can measure the speed of a bullet as it passes through two screens which are usually located a short distance from the muzzle of the gun. The computer is connected to the two screens which sense when the bullet passes through. Based on the lapse of time for a bullet to pass through the two screens (the screens are set at a specific distance from each other), the computer calculates the velocity of the bullet at that point. Chronographs used to be an arm and a leg thirty years ago, but today you can get one for $100 to $200, and it will record and average strings of shots for you.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 23, 2001, 03:46 AM   #3
Azrael256

Ok, thank you for the info, but I have one more question. When you say "screens", do you mean a physical screen, if so, what is it made from?
Old December 23, 2001, 06:56 AM   #4
JA

http://www.chrony.ca/english.mv

http://www.pact.com/chrono.html

http://www.oehler-research.com/

All of them work the same the screen is a photoelectic cell. Same thing as a solar battery charger. The photoelectic cell converts light into electicity. The shadow of the bullet going over the first cell causes a interuption in the electric out put of the cell which starts the timer. The shadow of the bullet interupts the electric out put of the second cell and stops the timer as it goes over it. The amount of time in miliseconds it took the the bullet to pass between the 2 cells is converted and displayed in feet per second or meters per second depending on which model/brand of chronograph you have.