The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 16, 2001, 10:38 PM   #1
LASur5r+P

Flashlight--blunt trauma tool?

Has anybody had experience with using a flashlight as a blunt trauma instrument? (Hit the aggressor)

What was the result? Did you get the expected results or were you surprised by the reaction?
Old December 16, 2001, 11:57 PM   #2
Mushinto

It depends on:
1. What kind of flashlight you use
2. Where you hit them
3. How you hit them
Basically:
1. Have a heavy and hard light (Mag-light, etc.)
2. Hit at major muscle mass (inner or outer thigh, top of forearm) or, hit on joints (elbow, knee, wrist) or, surface bones (back of hand, shin, etc.)
3. Hit hard and stick to the target when hitting muscle -- you will have sufficient penetration to incapacitate your target. You can snap at joints and bones.
... And with sufficient training and motivation, you should be successful.
ML
Old December 17, 2001, 01:32 AM   #3
Azrael256

And don't use those Krypton bulbs. They always seem to break when I drop my flashlight more than 10 feet or so.
Old December 17, 2001, 03:13 AM   #4
striderteen

A big Maglite should do the job nicely...I've never hit a human with it before, but the heft and swing of the thing feels very satisfying.
Old December 17, 2001, 10:09 AM   #5
mjn

Anne Rule's book "Dead by Sunset" describes a murder committed with a Mag-Lite. They wrok at least as well as a billy club, and you don't get hassled for having one in your car.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:33 PM   #6
Bogie

A friend of mine used to be a bouncer. He had one. He used it one night. The guy pressed charges.

The cops arrested him.

So he pressed charges against the guy (he wouldn't have had to hit him if he hadn't been assaulting him...).

So they go arrest the guy, and print him.

And guess what? His prints showed up as matching those found on a murder scene in the neighborhood. He's in jail now...

My bouncer buddy got a "get outta jail free" card, got sprung, but never did get his flashlight back.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old December 17, 2001, 10:35 PM   #7
Mort

The head is not a target area? It's a perfect target area. If you hit them there, they may stop bothering you. Bearing in mind, of course, that I'm not a cop. I don't have to detain people and place them in cars--I just have to leave without getting hurt.
Old December 17, 2001, 11:14 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

Just bear in mind that it can be construed as use of deadly force. Use where appropriate but with knowledge.

A very fine line between just stoppin somebody and killing them. Whether head thump or gut poke, either way easily fatal.

Sam
Old December 19, 2001, 09:40 AM   #9
fed168

In a pinch it could work. BUT NO TATER BOPPIN'.
Old December 23, 2001, 12:08 PM   #10
stevetuna

A 16 yr. old local genius picked a fight with a guy this summer and whacked the guy in the head with a maglight. Broke the guy's skull - the guy was airlifted off the Island to Boston. He survived. The victim's father read an impact statement in court this week and basically said that his son most likely will never be the same. So what happened to the afore-mentioned local genius? Well, the kid was already in juvenile jail (for SEVERAL other crimes). The judge added ONE YEAR on to his sentence. And my wife wonders if I REALLY need to carry a gun around all the time.... Good luck, society!
Old December 23, 2001, 01:44 PM   #11
wahuwa

Flashlight-blunt trauma tool?

You can't hit anyone in the head with a flashlight unless deadly force is justified.